Notes from Rickson's March, 2009 Nashville, TN Seminar

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Notes from Rickson's March, 2009 Nashville, TN Seminar

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:42 pm

All notes are from Steve "Fat Buddha" Abood

FRIDAY EVENING
Just got internet access at the hotel I switched to (long story)...Rickson seminar is tomorrow morning at 10 AM and friends are arriving from all over. Apparently Marcelo Garcia, Pedro Sauer, Frank Cucci, and over 60 black belts are coming. I am exhausted but am trying to go through my file of everything Rickson on my computer to come up with some interview questions that haven't been asked a million times. I emailed what's called a "querry letter" to Black Belt magazine which is a summary of a proposed article (I sent something like: "The Master Returns: Rickson Gracie Teaches First Public Seminar in over Eleven Years") but haven't heard back from them. I figured that I'd be more likely to get an interview with Rickson if I said that I was writing for Black Belt magazine as opposed to for Fatbudha. As another strategy I'm going to have Pedro Sauer (Rickson black belt) ask Rickson about an interview for me. Not going out tonight as it is freezing and I am tired and going to get some rest to make the most of the seminar tomorrow so sorry no Nashville women updates! The best story I can give was a dirty check out MILF at the drug store next to the hotel while getting water for tomorrow who asked for if I had any smaller bills when I gave her a $20, that no nothing smaller, just bigger, and she looked right in my eyes and said "Yes, bigger is always a lot more fun". Anyways, I promise my readers that the focus will be on Rickson even if I do visit the check out girl tomorrow! The journal continues...
Last edited by Fat Cat on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Notes from Rickson's March, 2009 Nashville, TN Seminar

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:42 pm

I will keep this short.

I have been training for about 10.5 years...have had the opportunity to train with & learn from some very gifted people. But the techniques & theory put on display by Rickson today is the kind of stuff you expect to learn from “THE” Rickson Gracie! It was a Master Class on the understanding off applied physics in BJJ...yet, the 13 year-old kids were able to perform the skills.

I am very much looking forward to 6 more hours on Sunday.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:43 pm

SATURDAY NIGHT
Hey everyone, sorry for the late post. Rickson came out in his usual white gi with hair short (like in the Choke video) and walked through the crowd - definitely looking like a charismatic, iconic figure - and the entire crowd of 200 people clapped. He began the seminar by saying that he wanted to acknowledge the life of his father...and wanted to acknowledge it without sadness for it wa a wonderful life. He looked very full of emotion and choked up when he was saying this.

Then he started talking about that while training jiu-jitsu to improve in MMA is OK, and training jiu-jitsu to improve in sport jiu-jitsu competition is OK, jiu-jitsu is more complex than that. For through it, the shy man, the business man, can undergo a positive and invisible transformation. And doing jiu-jitsu for sportive reasons only takes this profound transformation, takes this profound element, and turns it into a personal one. So in a way, doing jiu-jitsu just for sport somewhat degrades the life work of his father, who at 135 pounds would challenge anyone.

The seminar then began with Rickson explaining key principles of base and then what he called "connectivity" or connection with his opponent. He then showed these 2 concepts in application and showed how to stop someone from pulling or pushing you in the clinch and how to use their energy against them here.

He then went to the ground and had many participants in the seminar try to upa him. He went over key details of the upa, the sizzor sweep, escaping modified kesagatame, etc. before the 2 hour lunch break. He didn't give like 10 details for 1 position, only 1 or 2 key body mechanic things.

After lunch, he had people try to escape his black belt assistants' back mount. I then volunteered and was lucky enough to escape a few times so Rickson then dismissed the assistant and took my back and choked me out! Pretty cool that I got to do stuff like that with him, which happened through the seminar as he used me for a few moves.

He worked very hard the whole seminar, giving virtually everyone a chance to try almost every position on him.

Sorry guys this is not more detailed, I am very exhausted and Rickson has changed the seminar to start an hour earlier tomorrow. Some key take home messages though:

1. It's better to have 10 good positions than a 1000 that you sort of know how to do.

2. Even an egg cannot be broken if it is a the right angle, a position of structural strength. The goal of jiu-jitsu is to try to make this angle of strength in every single position.

Goodnight guys, sorry I couldn't write more.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:44 pm

SUNDAY MORNING
No problem guys - I feel bad that everyone who wanted attend couldn't because of the quick sell out so hopefully I can share a little bit here. OK I am almost going to be late as hell but I'll make a quick post.

To answer some of the questions here: Not sure of the name of assistant Magahles? something like that? 3rd degree black belt I think? As far as upcoming seminars I believe he plans to do 1 in LA in the summer and another one in Nashville towards the end of the year. Yes there was a camera crew there and a friend and I are plotting to snatch the camera or DVD on our way back and run like hell and hope that Rickson does not magically appear in front of us. Rickson-death would not be good.

OK, guys, I must haul ass to make it in time so I have to run. Going to check out of hotel, and drive to seminar...take care all
You have ignored this user.

SUNDAY MORNING
The seminar began with Rickson discussing some of his breathing methods that he learned from training with yoga master Orlando Cani in Brazil. He took of his gi top and he is in ridiculous shape for anyone of any age. There is literally not an ounce of fat on him. I can't believe he is 50 or 51 years old. He showed an exercise when you lie down on your back to connect better with your breathing. You put one hand on your stomach and one hand on your chest. Then you try to breathe in and out through your abdominals which means you are breathing from your diaphram and not your upper chest. Most people breathe through their upper chest but once he started using this diaphramic breathing he noticed like a 40% improvement in his lung capacity and his recovery.

How does this relate to jiu-jitsu? To a fight? Most people struggle when they fight, tense up, hold their breath, and then there is a moment when they try to breathe and recover. Rickson is breathing and recovering the entire time. He spoke about how contraction is life and if you contract your bicep muscle ("life") and then relax it ("death") and made an analogy that when the heart contracts that represents a living process. But when you breathe and need breath in a fight, you can't think inhale, take air in - instead you must think to contract your stomach and expel air out, to get the bad air out.

So the idea of him showing us all this was to connect the feeling of proper lower belly breathing with movement, with a fight, to aid in the recovery throughout the entire fight, instead of holding your breath and struggling, and trying to breathe and recover in a separate period of time.

to be continued later...
Last edited by Fat Cat on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:44 pm

The assistant was old-school Jiu-Jitsu powerhouse and Royler black belt, Renato Barreto.

Black belts in attendance (didn't know them all) was a great who's who of technical jiu jitsu guys.

Included: Pedro Sauer, Rodrigo Vaghi, Renato Barreto, a bunch of Pedro Sauer black belts (Eddie Camden, Frank Cucci, Jim Kelly, etc. etc. etc.), Allan Manganello, David Terry, Robin Gieseler, Jeff Hudson, Ed Clay, some of Luiz Palhares' black belts, and a BUNCH of others whom I either didn't know or can't recall now.

Ryan Hall was also there.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:49 pm

SUNDAY MORNING
To give a quick note of who was at the seminar - there was Eric Silver who runs the Zanshin Dojo in Nashville and who was responsible for bringing Rickson in, Professor Pedro Sauer, Mickey Swafford (chattanoogajiujitsu.com), Eddie Camden (tigeracademy.com), Frank Cucci (Linx Academy), Renato Barreto a number of other Rickson Gracie black belts (sorry don't know the names, a number of Relson Gracie browns and blacks, Ryan Hall (50-50 Jiu-jitsu in DC, formerly of Lloyd Irvin - nice guy), and many others. Apologies for not knowing more peoples' names. All in all there were roughly 60 black belts and many browns, along with people of every experience level.
You have ignored this user.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:49 pm

The seminar continued after the yogic breathing instruction, with specific exercises that demonstrated fundamental body mechanics that can be used in application for a multitude of techniques. Rickson's central concept that he conveyed here and throughout this day of the seminar was "finding your middle" meaning finding a point of central balance so that if your opponent tries to off balance you, you have leeway to go in any direction before your balance is completely upset. Rickson gave very specific examples to demonstrate this concept including maintaining mount, being on your hands and feet face down, face up, clinching your opponent from standing, etc, etc. What was more important was the concept rather than the specific technique, but of course it was very helpful to see the specific techniques to see the concept in application.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:50 pm

SUNDAY MORNING CONTINUED
After the morning session and during the lunch break I sat in the parking lot in my car as I did between all sessions and took audio notes. I asked Rickson the day before for an interview for this article I'm writing and I reminded him about it when the morning session ended and he said that we could do it after the seminar. In the 2nd session we wentn over a few moves and then heard his final speech. Rickson was cool enough to come up with this game with these really rare limited edition Rickson t-shirts from Japan or something that he had. If someone could come in front of the whole seminar and explain and demonstrate a technique or concept that he learned correctly, Rickson would throw him 1 of the t-shirts.

Like the nerdy kid in class raising his hand and going "oh oh pick me", I really wanted to explain a technique and get one of those t-shirts. Unfortunately there were many many people raising their hands and only about 8 or so shirts, and I alas I didn't get picked. One black belt chose me as his demo partner and my consolation is HE got a t-shirt, due to me making him look good of course lol. I was vicariously happy for him though.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:51 pm

SEMINAR JOURNAL CONTINUED
During the t-shirt contest, Rickson would also ask questions to the people demonstrating the move trying to prompt them to remember a certain detail. The next thing that happened after the t-shirt give away was Rickson had a certificate for everyone who attended and the names were called in alphabetical order to get the certificate and take a picture with Rickson. Since my last name is Abood (Steven Abood) I was the first to get a certificate and joked with my friends that I have the distinction of getting the first seminar certificate from Rickson in over 11 years when in reality it was just alphabetical order. The seminar was listed on the certificate as basic/intermediate. He mentioned verbally that this seminar #1 and #2, and that he plans at some point to go sequentially all the way up to #10.

A ton of people after the certificate presentation flocked to him (as happened after every session) to sign magazines, books, pictures, MMA gloves, belts, gis, t-shirts, etc. and to get their pictures taken with him.

I had a long drive but hung around to try to get that interview we talked about previously. After Rickson was finally free to walk towards the locker room, he passed by me and said "Come with me. Let's go do it" and we walked together into the locker room and back office to begin the interview...

TO BE CONTINUED

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:51 pm

SEMINAR ONLINE JOURNAL CONTINUED
On a side note, while trying to be like Rickson is trying to be like Michael Jordan, seeing his breathing demonstration, flexibility, body control, etc. really made me want to take up yoga again. When I moved down at Miami to train full time with Professor Pedro Valente for most of the last 2 years, we worked on the breathing thing a little bit since Pedro as a boy used to hang out after class with Rickson along a few other students and they would all sit in a circle and work on their breathing. I actually was taking weekly private lessons in yoga from a thai yoga instructor who had trained in India at the Iyengar institute but the progression was to master the asanas (stationary positions) first before the pranayama (breathing training) would go more in depth (although we did some fundamental preparatory breathing exercises). But I left Miami before we got deep into the pranayama...There was also a student who did free diving (diving without equiptment which requires the practice of yogic breathing exercises to increase breathing efficiency and mental calmness during stressful situations) but I didn't have a chance to train with him as at some point I had a rib injury which would have made it hard to practice the breathing exercises...

Well sorry for this diversion, I will get back to posting about the rest of the Rickson experience as soon as I can...

TO BE CONTINUED

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:56 pm

I thought this was interesting and I found some other notes:

From bonez5:

I was at the seminar...

I was very hard to explain what he showed. THe seminar was about invisible jiu jitsu.

So it was more conceptual than it was anything else.

My friend hit it right on the head, he said "it was basically a master class in applied physics of jiu jitsu"

Rickson talked about line of energy, connection to the ground and to the opponent, finding the middle, balance, and my personal favorite: efficiency of motion

Like shawshank said, we went over scissor sweep, upa, escaping from kesa gatame - very basic moves but he used them to demonstrate the above concepts.

As an example - he asked people to UPA him while he had the mount. Mostly brown belts and black belts... - he was able to stop the upa on everyone by posting his opposite (non-trapped) hand - the upa should be simple right especially for black belts, right?

so he showed us that 99% of people including black belts are breaking the upa down into two steps - 1. is bridging up 2. rolling sideways over the shoulder. When you do this you break your line of energy and get 80% of your power on the bridge up and 20% of your power on the roll over - the 20% energy is the problem here. Thats why the upa can be stopped by simply posting your opposite hand.

So the solution is to go in one motion. You move your head out of the way by looking in the direction you're upaing and lift the person in the direction where your head meets your neck in ONE motion - not two. with this method the man on top cannot simply post his arm out to stop the upa

^ very hard to describe - it really is invisible jiu jitsu. this is just one example of about 30 scenarios he went through all weekend

from shawshankfights:

more important than the details he showed were the concepts and ideas that he presented. they apply across the board. he calls them "invisible jiu jitsu". the details are literally imperceptible and it would be absolutely impossible for me to explain. for instance:

if you are performing a shrimp (most people call it elbow escape, i think) from the mount, you must "connect" to your opponent; feel him prevent him from gaining the inch you take away from him.

one little detail that is very easy to take away from this particular maneuver is to keep one leg completely flat as you perform the escape.

i watched him mount pedro sauer (and many other black belts and colored belts as well) and ask him to escape. pedro could not do it. rickson corrected him and pedro slung him across the mats. it was amazing. the technique LOOKED exactly the same, but it was infinitely more effective.

i know that's not much description, but it's literally the best i can do with words.
"If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:48 pm

Several of my clients, including Allan Manganello mentioned in the post, went to that and they were totally amazed. 1 is a 2nd black in BJJ under Pedro Sauer. Allan said he wants to turn in his black belt & start over again. They are all going to Brazil this summer to train for 15 days.

One of these days I will find some time to train BJJ
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:19 am

Invisible Jiujitsu ftw.

Hamper

Post by Hamper » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:31 am

Oops!
Last edited by Hamper on Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hamper

Post by Hamper » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:36 am

Oops!

D'Aquisto
Staff Sergeant

Post by D'Aquisto » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:26 pm

Thanks for the review FatCat.

I had the pleasure of training for a bit with 2 Rickson brown belts (who had been training directly with him for 10 yrs) and THOSE guys were amazing. I've also been to Rickson's school and watched him train white belts - and you are right that it's hard to explain how he moves. Rickson & his wife Kim are very nice people to boot.

Are you going to post the interview you did with him?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:24 pm

CBathke wrote:Thanks for the review FatCat.

I had the pleasure of training for a bit with 2 Rickson brown belts (who had been training directly with him for 10 yrs) and THOSE guys were amazing. I've also been to Rickson's school and watched him train white belts - and you are right that it's hard to explain how he moves. Rickson & his wife Kim are very nice people to boot.

Are you going to post the interview you did with him?
I think you misunderstand. I simply preserved the information here, the review and interview was by Steve "Fat Buddha" Abood. Also, Rickson and Kim divorced several years ago after the death of Rockson.

D'Aquisto
Staff Sergeant

Post by D'Aquisto » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:45 am

Ah, I see - mistook FC & FB.

I didn't know they divorced, wow. I believe it was after Rockson's passing that I visited his school and met the both of them, and a younger Kron.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:54 am

Here's the UFC's Tim Credeur talking about Rickson and the mythos that surrounds him:

Date: 04/28/06 11:09 PM
92 Total Posts Ignore User

I am no great anything. As a purple I heard all the bullshit about Rickson and I thought as many on my Team ( What the F$%* ).
How good can a guy really be. Coming from the Carlson Gracie Team I had wrestled with the best and I knew what the damn deal
was. I was smoking everyone in tournaments as a purple back then and I figuered of course I would get worked but
I was pretty legit and it could not have been that bad if I rolled with Rickson.
I mean what could he possibly do that I had not seen. I got a private, I waited about 2 months for it.

I got so fucked up when we finally rolled I questioned everything and I mean everything that I had ever learned or thought
about Jiu-Jitsu.
I am a Black Belt today under World Champion Rodrigo Medeiros ( Carlson Gracie / BJJ Revolution Team ) I fight regularly in
MMA and I have trained with any and everyone you could imagine.

Rickson is FUCKING FOR REAL.
THERE IS NO MYSTIC, LEGEND OR MYSTERY. HE IS JUST A FUCKING REAL LIVE JIU-JITSU WAR MACHINE MONSTER THAT BRINGS GAME YOU
CANNOT COMPREHEND. UNLESS YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED IT YOU WILL NEVER KNOW AND MANY DON'T EVEN HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE TO KNOW HOW BAD
HE IS WHEN THE SESSION IS GOING DOWN BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT EVEN GOOD ENOUGH TO RECOGNIZE THE DOMINANCE THAT IS TAKING PLACE.

Check me out on OTM or Sherdog. I am legit and this motherfucker is off the fucking charts. What Paulo said doesn't surprise
me in the least.
I don't mean to rant and I jock ride no man ever. I rarely ever post on this website or any other. I am just dropping a peice
of knowledge that I possess so the masses know that my experience was felt and my life was changed by a guy that felt
inhuman to roll with.

Tim Credeur

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:31 pm

LOL!!!

=D> =D> =D>

Love the Credeur testimonial.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:49 pm

This is fascinating stuff, seriously.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue May 05, 2009 10:55 pm

On March 14 & 15, 2009 Rickson Gracie conducted a seminar in Nashville, TN. It was his first US seminar in many years. The seminar was hosted by Eric Silver and was completely sold out in hours with 200 attendees. Eric sent us this report and photos:

RICKSON GRACIE’S RETURN TO THE US-NASHVILLE, TN
By Eric Silver

March 14th and 15th, Nashville, Tennessee was privileged to host the long awaited return of Rickson Gracie, the last samurai, to the teaching arena. Word of the event spread like wildfire through the jiu-jitsu community and all 200 spaces for his seminar sold out in a little more than a week. Students from California to New York of every belt color, including thirty black-belts, came for a taste of “water from the source”.

With mats covering almost every inch of the McGavock High School gymnasium floor, attendees erupted into applause as the master entered. Rickson opened by thanking everyone for being present and talked lovingly about the work of his father. “My dad was an inventor. I have been able to improve on what he developed. I was happy that before he passed I was able to show him even better ways to do the techniques he invented,” Rickson stated humbly.

Assisted by Humaita black-belts Renato Barreto and Eduardo Mano, Rickson mesmerized the crowd for four three-hour sessions. Students were captivated by subtle technical details in the most basic positions: mount, mount escapes, side control, headlock escapes, armlock, body to body connection, breathing etc.

Rickson invited participants to demonstrate their technique as he analyzed their performances. After each had shown their best, he would reveal the missing pieces. Even Professor Pedro Sauer submitted to Rickson’s critical evaluation during the seminar. He commented, “Everything I’ve always told my students was proven: that Rickson is a truly gifted person with an incredible knowledge and a great personality.”

Rickson’s personable approach was surprising to some, as he injected warmth and humor throughout the rigorous schedule of events. He remained available to everyone who sought assistance and held nothing back as he repeated techniques hundreds of times with all the students who requested his guidance.

Longtime Rickson black-belt, Rodrigo Vaghi, added, “Rickson is the best. He transforms jiu jitsu in a way no one else is capable of and opens our minds so that we have no limitations where our jiu-jitsu can go”.

Black-belt and ’06 US Open Judo Gold Medalist, Joel Gingery commented, “Rickson is absolutely amazing and has revived my passion for jiu-jitsu and the quest for excellence in my game.” Such a quest has been the theme of Rickson’s life. Through rigorous training, strict dietary guidelines and the constant refinement of basic technique, he has become a living, breathing example of every martial artist’s ultimate goal: minimal effort, maximum effect.

In ways almost imperceptible to the onlookers, Rickson consistently demonstrated how his “invisible” techniques could transform their jiu-jitsu or life into something far more effective and far less laborious. One student summed up his experience by saying, “ The seminar for me was not only an awakening for my practice in jiu-jitsu, but a spiritual and emotional one as well. Everything I know has been revolutionized.”

Always direct to the point, the master commented, “This is good”.

Dazed

Post by Dazed » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Wow.
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary

cunch
Sgt. Major

Post by cunch » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:43 pm

That would not have sucked.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:46 am

From sherdog:

A couple guys over at the UG tried explaining the "Rickson shrimp." I know a lot of guys here post/lurk over there but hopefully this will help those who don't.
Quote:
HostileKnee

Edited: 11/18/09 5:29 PM
Below are my notes from the Rickson seminar on the move. But this might not be the move Hall is talking about. Rickson went over another side body escape and a mount escape that fit his new shrimp outlook...

SIDEBODY ESCAPE - SHOULDER DRIVE / TURN TO KNEES

partner is side-body with just there hands on your outside shoulder driving down and there feet touching the mat with a wide base (partners chest and hips are not touching you)

"connect yourself" to your partner by driving off the ground starting from your outside foot, to your outside hip, to your outside shoulder and then to your opponent

while keeping the pressure directed toward your partner scoot your hips away by pushing off the inside foot and leaving the outside foot on the mat in the same place

straighten your inside arm up above your head and scoot the inside shoulder/arm pitt under your body away from your partner and the outside shoulder towards your opponent

keeping your outside foot on the ground and pressure directed toward your partner slide the outside foot away and repeat (hip out, shoulder turn, foot slide) until your inside shoulder is on the outside and the outside shoulder is on the inside

thread your inside leg under your driving leg

*driving pressure into your partner should be maintained at all times threw the move and your outside foot remains in contact with the mat threw-out the entire move
Quote:
cdog1955

Hostile knee gave a good drill to practice to get the body mechanics down, although when first doing it have your partner put weight on you from thier knees not the feet.

Sir Taps, it can be confusing to picture it reading, but it's really easy.....

if you are laying flat with partner to your right, then your LEFT leg is posted and you are driving with that posted leg to tilt your body to your right facing your partner (its really no different than your body position when you are going to shrimp).
So you are basically on your right side, left shoulder off the matt, left hip off the mat, your right leg is laying flat, you move your hips back with your RIGHT leg, because your left leg is driving your body so it doesnt get flattend out.

Now for the shoulders, your partner is putting his weight on your left shoulder, trying to drive it down, (once again the left leg is stopping thar from happening), the right shoulder (thats on the mat), gets PULLED under you, your not trying to turn your left into your partner, you are pulling the bottom shoulder UNDER.

Think of it as moving within your own space.
"If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." - Thich Nhat Hanh