Looking for knowledge

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Brock Mandlebar
Manrammer, 3rd Rate

Looking for knowledge

Post by Brock Mandlebar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:02 pm

Well, got squat symmetry issues. Caused initially by patellar tendonitis, which I still have. Any information a quick google won't give me would be much appreciated, as this is a very frustrating, and reoccuring problem.

Started squatting quite a bit lately (3x a week, heavy all days). Using a low bar squat now, so haven't been checking the mirror for issues (line of sight is low). I look up at full depth last monday and I'm cheated over to my right leg quite a bit (knee issue is on the left leg).

I decide to fix the issue by simply checking the mirror and forcing my hips and ass to the center. Then I can barely walk for 3 days due to lower back pain.

There are multiple issues flying around here, I realize this. My lower back is a weak point for me anyway. So, having obviously trained myself into an assymetrical squat (including my spinal erectors/stabalizers), how do I straighten everything back out?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Wow, I've never kissed a dude before.

- John Green

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Looking for knowledge

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:49 pm

Drop the weight and use perfect form. I have some similar issues and that's what I do. Of course I am squatting purely for my own development, but it does work.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:33 am

Fat Cat wrote:Drop the weight and use perfect form. I have some similar issues and that's what I do. Of course I am squatting purely for my own development, but it does work.
This.
Even consider doing Amasov squats to get the knees, hips, back, to track properly and get your groove back. Take some hot yoga in the meantime.

Tom
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:53 pm

TomFurman wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:Drop the weight and use perfect form. I have some similar issues and that's what I do. Of course I am squatting purely for my own development, but it does work.
This.
Even consider doing Amasov squats to get the knees, hips, back, to track properly and get your groove back. Take some hot yoga in the meantime.

Tom
Listen to Tom-- those Amasov squats did wonders for my tendonitis, to the point that it hasn't come back. Yoga helped me with my flexibility issues.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

jimmystyle
PFC

Post by jimmystyle » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:11 pm

wtf is an amasov squat?

Brock Mandlebar
Manrammer, 3rd Rate

Post by Brock Mandlebar » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:15 pm

The Unflushable DEATHTURD wrote:
TomFurman wrote:
This.

Tom
Listen to Tom-- those Amasov squats did wonders for my tendonitis, to the point that it hasn't come back. Yoga helped me with my flexibility issues.
I just started this. The short term results have been nothing short of amazing. My knee hasn't felt this functional in over 5 years.

- John Green

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:38 pm

jimmystyle wrote:wtf is an amasov squat?
Bodyweight squat. When I do them, I alternate doing them flat footed and on my toes. Full on tacticle requires using a TRX and exaggerating the movement back a bit.

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Brock Mandlebar
Manrammer, 3rd Rate

Post by Brock Mandlebar » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Tom,
Thanks for the advice sir. I do the asamov squat as depicted in the video above. I still have some of the ole itis in my left patellar tendon, but it's reduced significantly. A great ancillary benefit of this pain reduction has been new PR's in push press and behind the neck push press, because I can push harder and faster with my legs. Today I locked out 275 on both.

If you know of any other exercises I should be doing to strengthen and stabalize my knees, I would love to hear them. I have ITBS that pops up in my right leg when I put in a large number of difficult miles on my bike. Any suggestions on how to address this would be much appreciated - I already use a baseball (foam rollers tend to do nothing for me) for what amounts to active release and general massage.

- John Green

Trip

Post by Trip » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:21 pm

Congrats on the rehab and 275 OH is badass. Next time post this shit in the right place will ya?