IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:50 am

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Broz Knowledges
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:34 am 
Gunny

I've been thinking a lot about John Broz, the Bulgarian frequent training and all that stuff. The man made a lot of great points on BB.com. I plan to copy and paste his posts over here over the next few days.

Edit: I found that my little project has already largely been completed by the folks at BB.com. I'll still continue to post my favorite Broz posts here, but here is a link to the source: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthrea ... t450142851

Last edited by Gary on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Broz Knowledges
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:48 am 
Gunny

John Broz on weightlifting...

If you are new to OLifts, then you must use a stick for at least 3-4 weeks and do thousands of reps to get good technique and understand the movements. It is crucial to have someone watch who truly knows how the bar path and body movements are supposed to go. It is possible to learn yourself, but it takes much dedication to view the lifts and understand what they are doing. Without a coach it makes it very very difficult.

As we learn technique, the weight can begin to increase until technique breaks down. Eventually it's max attempts everyday.

The Jerk is the most violent movement of any part of O Lifts. Especially difficult when you stand from a heavy clean. The short dip is ESSENTIAL to the jerk. When the bar passes 160kg the bar whip begins to play a significant factor in the success of the lift. Learning how to dip quickly and maximize the oscillation is the only way to be a great jerker.

[Do you let your guys do overhead squats?]

Only if they snatch it first. We never do them as an exercise. If you snatch it and cant get up (pinned with a snatch) you would get laughed out of the gym or banished to the squat rack for 30 days.

Antonio did teach me this technique. When I was younger I had a russian coach that had me do heavy 1/4 front squats and believed that the jerk drive was more of a squat then Krastev's philosophy of a jump. I have tried many ways and this is the best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:51 am 
Gunny

John Broz on training...

[What do you do when progression halts?]

IT WILL! Training lifts will eventually start to go backwards as you enter into the "dark times". When you are so sore and fatigued that you cant even imagine lifting weights. This time is CRUCIAL to training. You MUST persevere and continue to train! Eventually your lifts will begin to improve and you will make progress and PR's while in a totally fatigued state. When you can make progress when feeling like this, this is when you are going somewhere.

To quote Antonio:"the day will never come when you can't lift the bar"

To quote my first coach:" If you wait til you feel good with no aches or pains to train, you will never be here"

1) in the lifts: bar, 50kg for as many as it takes to look good, fast and comfortable, then usually 20kg jumps to about 80% for dubs, then 10kg jump to 90% for singles then 5kg up to max for singles. 6 attempts at max is the usual norm

2) percentages don't work. I go down 20-30 and if its too easy, then we go back up. there are times that the reps end up being more than what was the original max that day. The body is amazing when you push it. You never know what you are capable of doing on any given day. The way you feel is a lie.

3)this is a tough one to swallow for most... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS OVERTRAINING!!! if you can't do something you are not in good enough shape. Here is a story:

IF you got a job as a garbage man (or run a jackhammer, or some other physically demanding job) and had to pick up heavy cans all day long, I'm sure the first day would be very difficult - possibly almost impossible for some to complete so what do you do? take 3 days off and possibly lose your job? NO! you would take your sore, beaten self to work the next day. You would mope around and be fatigued - much less energetic than the previous day, but you would make yourself get through it. Get home, soak in the tub, take aspirin, etc. The next day would be worse..etc. etc. Eventually you will be running down the street tossing cans around and joking with your coworkers. How did this happen? You forced your body to adapt to the job at hand! IF you cant' squat everyday, lift heavy everyday then you are not OVERTRAINED, you are UNDERTRAINED!

Could a random person off the street come to the gym with you and do your exact workout? probably not - cause they are undertrained. Same goes with most when compared to elite athletes.

If you want to get good at throwing a shotput should you practice tossing a frisbee?

The ONLY way to get good at the lifts is to do the lifts.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:03 am 
Gunny

More John Broz...

Max squats everyday, max deadlifts 2-3x/year.

Body positions are CRUCIAL to weightlifting success. max deads force you to pull shoulders back too early, round your back, and lose the proper positions needed for the second pull in the lifts. This will only push progress back along with the simple fact that slow movements do not help any athlete in any sport. "The fastest athlete is the greatest athlete"

When we max in the DL, it's only for my curiosity to gauge other lifts from and to see when positions start to break down.

1) I am constantly watching the lifts, making corrections all the time. It is like a constant work in progress. Most high level lifters (even multi Olympic Champions) still have their coach watch them lift for technique and efficiency.

2)4x/wk is not too little if you are doing 2x/wk now. eventually 4days will not stimulate the body enough

3)Max in the Squat is necessary, but max DL is bad. The lower back gets taxed too much with this lift and takes too long to recover. It is more of a single joint exercise then the squat. I prefer 70-85% Fast pulls for 2-3reps to build DL power. Neither of these taxes the CNS even close to what the SN and C/J do.

4) I personally believe that this type of training works for all lifters. Although whoever has the most desire will be the one with all the success.

5) this is very tricky. If they are young (under or around 17 - again this depends on how early they started training) then I would have them doing other assistance things based on their body structure and making sure that they develop in a safe, sound, healthy, strong base core. During which I teach the lifts with perfect technique for reps - no daily maxes- only weekly or even monthly depending on how they look structurally. If they are older and done growing but just small for their structure, then I mix the heavy lifts with some basic traditional body building exercises to supplement.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:19 am 
Gunny

John Broz suggests a PL plan...

day 1,2,3,4,5,6: squat to max (best weight at perfect competiotion technique) + back off sets of minimum 3x2, upto max of 50 reps. going back upto max or beyond if the weights start to feel light enough

day 1,3,5 bench press to max (2 wide,1 close grip)+ back off sets (quantity will need some experiment because I have not tried with bench in over 10 yrs)

day 2,4,6 deadlift 2-3 x 10 sets all from floor. vary % based on positions and back health

If you are gonna train 4x/wk then day 5&6 will be in the next week.

any assistance rehab/bodybuilding such as pullups, dumbell flyes etc should follow at the end as well as grip work based on how you feel. These are optional and should be done at discresion

Most importantly- speed is ALWAYS the priority! When squatting and pulling getting up fast is soooo important, as well as the bench. Doing the press quickly to generate power is key too. going slow with light weights is a big NO NO!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:22 am 
Gunny

John Broz on explosiveness...

[Do the quick lifts make you more explosive in your opinion, or do explosive people make the best olympic lifters?]

I think both. IF you are extremely explosive it can only be a benefit to being a great lifter, however we have checked vertical abilities before and after 1 yr of training of only doing the lifts and everyone made substantial progress in jumping abilities.