IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:17 am

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:15 am 
Sgt. Major

Quote:
IMHO get some KBs 2 or 3 levels heavier (if you compete with 53s use at least 72 or 88s)
do someting like this 2-3x a week

warmups
KB arm bar to TGU
double KB swing 5x5 progress up from competition size bells to heavy enough to be RPE of 8-9
double KB snatch 5x5 same
workout
double KB clean 5x5
double KB thruster 5x5
single KB c+j 5x5+5
heavy KB one arm kroc bent row as heavy as you have for as many reps as you can do
KB dips get two 88s or heavier and get in tuck position and crankout as many dips as you can holding legs steady in front of you
Pullups 25 reps in as many sets as it takes

the kb work you want to go slow, heavy and explosively, pushing it out to 10 sets of 5 and adding, holding, or subtracting weight based on previous sets.

every fourth week just one workout at 60% of previous week volume and intensity
Eat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:52 am 

Being that KB's are mostly ballistic movements, I have a hard time seeing the hypertrophy here... especially if you are limited in how many KB's you can buy because they are expensive.

A little bit of size will be gained, yes, but let's not get crazy here....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:28 am 
Sgt. Major

The context was a thread advising a skinny cattleballer on a three month hypertrophy phase, who had little to no experience with barbells, so PL54 offered this as a viable alternative.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:29 am 

Quote:
The context was a thread advising a skinny cattleballer on a three month hypertrophy phase, who had little to no experience with barbells, so PL54 offered this as a viable alternative.
then that makes total sense

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:09 pm 
This template reminds me of Kettlebell Muscle by G. Neupert. I did this (KBM) with 2-16kg, I know...not enough weight, for 6 weeks, and my weight hovered around 184-186, which was up from 178-180.
Weird thing was, when I ended the program, my weight dropped back to what it was previously. I say weird because I really didn't 'see' any sign of muscle gain, in the mirror, but the scale said differently.
Evidently, my muscles were getting denser, contributing to the weight gain?

I did a test run with 2-20kg's, and although I completed all of the reps, I knew that I'd never complete the 3 sets called for on the first day. I have also put 2-24's overhead, but just for 1 rep; I could not 'workout' with that. The double snatch is brutal!
As far as a 1-rep lift, with KB's, I don't think there is a tougher lift than the DSN!

Jack's workout looks quite brutal!!