IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:45 pm

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:35 pm 
Jesus Christ®

The Bruno Course of Bodybuilding

"1. This was a course for beginners, so Bruno kept the volume pretty low. You did 3 sets of 6 repetitions on all of your exercises. As you got stronger, you could add a warm up set on heavier exercises such as squats and bench presses, so you'd do 4 sets of 6 repetitions on them.

2. You trained with weights 3 times per week -- and on two other days you did a bodyweight workout.

3. You made progress by gradually adding weight to the bar. Bruno emphasized the importance of SMALL increases in weight. Over time, the small increases in weight would add up to BIG GAINS!

The weight lifting work out was as follows: (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday)

1. Parallel squat

2. Bench press

3. Barbell curl

4. Press behind neck

5. Upright rowing

6. Sit-ups

The bodyweight work out looked like this: (Tuesday, Thursday)

1. Hindu squats 1 or 2 sets

2. Hindu pushups 1 or 2 sets

3. Behind the neck pull-ups 2 sets

4. Calf isometrics

5. Neck isometrics

On the bodyweight work, you did whatever reps you could do at the beginning and gradually added reps, working up to 100 reps in Hindu squats and Hindu pushups, and 15 reps in pull-ups.

Also, Bruno urged trainees to include some running or jogging -- perhaps a mile or two a couple of times a week. He said this was particularly important if you were trying out for a high school sports team."

http://rippeder.com/content/bruno-samma ... ge-workout

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:37 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Joe Weider's Muscle Builder (August 1966). Here it is in his exact words since the magazine interviewed him. Bruno stated he was 29 and weighed 260 pounds in the article.

Bench Press - 5-7 sets start at 135 go to 300 then 330 for 30 reps and keep working up to 500 for a single.(You heard right on the reps with 330)

Incline Dumbell Press - 5 sets of 5 reps using 150 pound dumbells

Incline Dumbell Laterals-5 sets of 5 reps using 125 pounder's

Squats- 8 sets 3-5 reps working up to 650 pounds

Curl- 10 sets of 10 reps start at 135 and go to 225 using cheat style

High Pulls (Cheat style) to 315

Upright Rows - 6 sets of 6-8 reps using 205 pounds

Bruno stated in the article that his best Olympic lifts were:

Press 365
Snatch 270
Clean and Jerk 370

Bruno stated his best powerlifting lifts were:

Bench Press 545 with a two second pause
Deadlift 685
Squat 685

Muscle Builder asked Bruno who was the strongest wrestler he ever met. He replied Gorilla Monsoon at 392 pounds.

http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.u ... 046245;p=0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:52 pm 
Jesus Christ®

an 11/29/99 article originally posted on NaturalStrength.com on 11/29/09 by Tommy Minichiello, the former owner of the legendary "Midcity Gym" in New York which was a very popular place back in the 1960's.

http://physicalstrategies.blogspot.com/ ... chive.html

TRAINING WITH A LEGEND - Bruno Sammartino

By Tom Minichiello

Posted on NaturalStrength.com on November 29, 1999

Since I first started my weight training in 1944 there was one movement that I love to do more than any other....the wide grip bench press.

I was fortunate enough to have trained with one of the world's strongest men....Bruno Sammartino. For many years Bruno trained at my gym in Manhattan while he was a professional wrestler. The only exercise I did with Bruno was the bench press, which was also his favorite movement.

We would try to get in benching three times per week. We did the pyramid system. In all we would do ten sets. First two sets we used a weight we could do around twenty repetitions, then increase that weight on the next three sets so that we could do no more then eight to ten reps. Once a week on the sixth set we would do a maximum weight effort for one rep. Then slowly decrease the weight and on the 10th. set we would go all out for repetitions.

You must realize that Bruno was wrestling just about every night and doing a lot of traveling. He wanted to keep his strength up - but also most important to him was his endurance in the ring. In those days going thirty to forty minutes in the ring with someone like Killer Kowalski (who was know for his endurance) would totally drain you, you had to be able to endure - hence the reason for the many sets and reps.

Whenever I finished a workout with him I felt that my pec's were going to burst, it was great. One day we had a contest for most repetitions between the two of us. Bruno weighed around 250 and I was 167. He would bench with 330 for most reps and I would use 220 for my reps.

I went first....and only because he was there pushing me on I was able to get out 24 reps with the 220.

Bruno started with his 330....when he reached 20 repetitions all the members came over to watch this strongman do his thing. Then he reached 30.....he looked and sounded like a locomotive.....34....35....36....37....38- THIRTY-EIGHT repetitions with 330 pounds. Mind you, he wrestled the night before in Philadelphia and that morning drove into Manhattan. Bruno's best one rep was 565, if he wasn't wrestling I know he would have been the first to do 600lbs...(NO DRUGS, EVER) This all took place at the Mid- City Gym in 1968.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:08 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I basically watched Bruno, every Saturday afternoon on "Studio Wrestling" in Pittsburgh on WIIC, now WPIX as a youth. The show's host was Bill "Chilly" Cardille, who was in the original, "Night of the Living Dead". His daughter was in "Dawn of the Dead" and other Tom Savini flicks.

I grew up watching Bruno wrestle Turo Tanaka, Hans Mortier, Stan Stasiak, Killer Kowalski, Stan Hansen, George "The Animal" Steel, etc. Bruno recruited a cop from Carnegie, PA,.. a neighboring town to Pittsburgh to wrestle. Also wrestling was Johnny DeFazio, who was a Union President. This was the norm. Union guys who wrestled, 100% of the adult males as WW2 or Korean Vets,.. and Bruno up the street in Wexford, PA,.. benching in the FIVES most days of the week at his gym.

It's just a framework of what athleticism is and manhood. Thanks for the links and stories, Mak. We can always remember that Bruno started his life in a cave in Italy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:26 pm 
Sgt. Major

Quote:
Joe Weider's Muscle Builder (August 1966). Here it is in his exact words since the magazine interviewed him. Bruno stated he was 29 and weighed 260 pounds in the article.

Bench Press - 5-7 sets start at 135 go to 300 then 330 for 30 reps and keep working up to 500 for a single.(You heard right on the reps with 330)

Incline Dumbell Press - 5 sets of 5 reps using 150 pound dumbells

Incline Dumbell Laterals-5 sets of 5 reps using 125 pounder's

Squats- 8 sets 3-5 reps working up to 650 pounds

Curl- 10 sets of 10 reps start at 135 and go to 225 using cheat style

High Pulls (Cheat style) to 315

Upright Rows - 6 sets of 6-8 reps using 205 pounds

Bruno stated in the article that his best Olympic lifts were:

Press 365
Snatch 270
Clean and Jerk 370

Bruno stated his best powerlifting lifts were:

Bench Press 545 with a two second pause
Deadlift 685
Squat 685

Muscle Builder asked Bruno who was the strongest wrestler he ever met. He replied Gorilla Monsoon at 392 pounds.

http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.u ... 046245;p=0
Gorilla Monsoon used to play golf at my BIL's country club, North Hills near Philly. He said Gorilla was long off the tee, and one of the nicest guys he'd met. I saw GM wrestle in Atlantic City on the same bill with Tanaka. Tanaka was freaking scary as shit to a 14 year old.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:10 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Tanaka was a great man.