Green Ghost Posts

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Tom Furman
Corporal

Green Ghost Posts

Post by Tom Furman » Wed May 18, 2005 10:55 pm

For Max Effort Snatches ( Swing / Dead ) I have found that you can throw Prilepins Intensity chart right out the window since you can go ( and should ) to the "well" more often in the 90+ range since the training is unilateral and of course, it's a compound movement. When I establised a 1 rep max of 120/120 I found that using a training weight of 100 lbs, which is just under 85% I could do 2 ME days a week for 6 months without comprimising my training cycle. Of course, I would rotate the volume every ME day but I always stayed with 3s or 5s for reps and never went over 10 sets. I remember doing 10 sets of 3/3 using 100 lbs. with a 60 second rest between sets and wondering whether the next day I would be sore and able to complete my L/C Dead C+P training. The soreness never came. Every 3-5 weeks or so I would throw in a singles session using 110 for about 5 singles per side. Feel free to do a 10x3/3 or 5x5/5 using similar percentages. Training in the 85% range should keep you in striking distance of 120+ provided that the rest of your program isn't overburdened with movements that are redundant. Rest time between sets is a very important training variable. No need to start off with a 60 second rest break between sets. Feel free to use 2-3 minutes and simply decrease the time as needed if ever.

For Dynamic Effort/General Physical Prepardness Day: I have found that using the 70 lber is more than adequate. I like to combine the 2, DE/GPP and it has worked out well for me. Reps were always either 3-5 and sets went to 10 and sometimes more. As with the ME day, time of rest between sets was a important factor. Depending how I felt it was either 60s,45s,or 30 seconds rest between sets. I have found 15 seconds rest to be too harsh and I felt a little sluggish after testing it out.
Start with 10 sets of 3/3 and a 60 second rest break between sets and adjust as nedded. The most imporatant rule with this training day is,all reps MUST be done in an explosive manner! Don't sacrifice Speed for GPP.
The GPP is a secondary effect with this training, not the primary. Don't be afraid to experiment with the rest times and if you find that you're starting to slow down when executing the snatches then terminate the training session and make the necessary adjustments.
Give Dead Snatches a try with this Dynamic day. I feel that they are a much underated movement.

When I did my 6 month training cycle which consisted of the following 3 movements: ME + DE Snatches, 2 KB Long Cycle Dead Clean + Presses and Deadlifts, I never had a backoff week due to the following reasons:
1. The Deadlift percentages rarely exceeded 85% and I paid close attention to Prilepins intensity chart as far as reps were concerned. Most of the time the DLs were in the 80% range and they were done strictly for maint. reasons.
2. The L/C Dead Clean + Presses were done using mostly the 70s and 53s, for example: ( 10 sets of 5 reps with 70s with a 60 sec. break ) and a similar
set/rep scheme with the 53s but with either a 45 or 30 second rest break.
Once every 3-5 weeks I used either 2 75s or 2 80s ( duct tape ) and did triples for 5-10 sets using a 2 minute rest break in the case of the 80s.
I rotated the set/rep scheme along with the time of rest between sets weekly.
This is the only place in my training that I backed off. They were backoff workouts not backoff weeks.
3. As stated in my other post,when doing ME snatches ( 1 arm ) I ignore Prilepins Chart because I have found that over the last few years that the 85+ percentage range can be more than doubled per side without any ill effects.
You asked: Have you ever done DLs and Snatches in the same workout, or would performing them on seperate days be better?
I've done it both ways. Sometimes I would do Speed DLs first as a warmup using between 50-65% of max and after a brief rest I would do either 100 lb Swing Snatches for 3 sets of 3/3, or 5 singles with 105 or 3 with 110, per arm. I used the same method but switched the order when I did 80-85% DLs.
First I would warmup using the 70 kb for Swing Snatches and then I would proceed with the DL pulls. Since I was doing the C+Ps in the same cycle I considered it the more efficent training approach. If you're not doing C+Ps feel free to use alternate days and by all means experiment.
BTW, when I do the L/C Dead Clean+Presses I always place the bells on the outside of my body/feet as in the trap bar DL. Totally different pulling action and a KEY factor in limiting redundancy in my training.
Don't forget to train the abs! 3-5 times a week.
A. S. Prilepin’s Research in 1974, his recommendations were as follow.

Percent # of Reps per Set Lifts Per Workout Optimal # per Workout
70% 3-6 12-24 18
80% 2-4 10-20 15
90% 1-2 4-10 7

OK, just take 1 end of the band loop it over the KB handle
and simply stand under the other end using your stance of
choice. Of course, the wider your stance the more resistance
felt throughout the entire ROM.

Since this is a 2 hand drill ( can be done with 1 , but I hate it )
and having read your previous training posts I feel that you will
be able to do these with ease even with a band. So feel free to
add plates ( duct tape ) as necessary. 5 lb plates fit well.

However, first try it with the 88 + mini to get a feel for the
return groove motion. Slightly different groove and feel.

When I use a band for this drill, I use an explosive but yet safe
and controlled motion. I like 10 sets of 3 reps using a not more
than 60 sec. rest break between each. This is a dynamic drill and
it's purpose is to develope power. It is not intended as solely an
endurance/strength workout, but it can be used as one providing you
make some adjustments in volume. (it's better to use higher reps for that)
Also, don't use the band with this drill more than 2X a week, preferably
only once.

Yes,I do include Pullups ( pronated, supinated, neutral ) rotated
into my routine but most of the time it is bodyweight only.

If I am working on KB Military Presses I will include a pullup
variation on the same day. I prefer to do these first because I
like to get a better feel of the lat activation/action. A few simple
sets of 3-5 ( bodyweight ) and reps anywhere from 5-10. Nothing
exciting to report.

Once in a while I'll do these weighted. Early last year I was
doing a few singles with 110 added on. Great to do also with either
chains/bands as the form of resistance.

On bench day it's BB Rows or 1 Arm DB Rows. Reps are mostly 3s and 5s but
if I am benching 3x a week ( like now ) I will throw in a higher rep day
of 10s or 12s while dropping the sets to either 5 or 3. I also believe
that it's important to change your hand width and grip variation when you
do rows.

Yes, your Deadlift should be higher than your bench. Much higher IMO.
I'm DLing in the low 500s at the moment but it should start climbing
again since that's my main focus.

I use JS Bands as well for pulldowns and various shoulder work to
help offset any potential problems.

" Do you ever dip down to train the strength endurance pathways of the same move."

" ...do you find that heavy singles have any effect on your numbers with the 2 pood."

My current method of training strength endurance is to use a low rep high set approach with the time of rest between sets and tempo of each set being the main factors. For example:

10 sets of 3 reps of 70 lb Swing Snatches with a 15 second rest break between sets while using a fast ( explosive ) tempo.

10 sets of 5 reps of 70 lb Swing Snatches with a 15 second rest break between sets while using a slower tempo.

Of the 2 examples I find the faster tempo method of triples to be more taxing to the muscular system and more cardio challenging than the slower tempo sets of five. Number of sets is never less than 10 or more than 15. This is usually determined by my recovery ability from previous workouts.

While I'm not about to annoint this the holy grail of strength endurance training, FWIW.. I did do a max effort Swing Snatch set of 40/40 back in the spring with the 70 lb kb using a similar training approach. However I'm not interested in high rep training or in any other methods that would increase such numbers. I have also done an easy test set of 15/15 with the 88 just to satisfy my curiousity. Never snatched the 53 at all.

As far as training ME swing snatches ( singles,doubles,triples-fives ) I do find that there is both a temporary CNS " boost effect " and a more permanent training effect ( max effort strength to strength endurance ) providing that I am working on both the above methods in the same training cycles. ( The CNS " boost effect " refers to for example: Snatching the 100 and a few minutes later snatching a KB of lower weight which equals the kb of lower weight to "feel" lighter than if the 100 lb.wasn't snatched at all ), at least in me. I normally use the 100 kb for a sets of 10 for 3 reps or sets of 5 for 5 reps. Above 100 I do singles or doubles and go slightly above Prilepins recommandations for 90%+ work.

As far as training exclusively for high reps I never do it. No need .
I'd rather watch paint dry or grass grow.

The swing snatches are based on a 1 rep max number. I train 2 days on and 1 off at the present time. So it's 2 days a week ( sometimes 3 ) that I am doing swing snatches and the C+Ps. 1 snatch workout is done at percentages around 85 to max and the other is between 60 to 75. The 60 to 75% training day is a cardio/strength endurance workout. This day is for reps in the 3-5 range and they are all done explosively. If I start slowing down I terminate the workout.

For the L/C C+Ps ME I am not using anything over 80 lbs per KB. This is not based on a 1 rep max like the snatches are but more so on a 3-5 rep max number. Using this training load I aim for 3-5 minutes rest between sets.

If I wanted to focus on either the Clean or Press part of the lift I would do them separte and I would first establish a 1 rep max. I much prefer to work this long cycle style ( triple extension ).

My second L/C day is rotated usually between the 70 lb KBs and 53 lb KBs. For the 53s sometimes I add 20 lbs of chain to each one. Rest breaks are kept short and most of the time it's not more than 1 minute. On occasion I'll do a heavy volume day using the 70s for 10 sets of 5 reps and the minute rest break. Also when I add up the daily volume I add the cleans and presses together for a total. For example: 10 x 5 with 2 70s = 14000 total volume. Nothing goes to failure for either movement whether it's reps or sets.

Pros:

I have been training with Clubbells ( as well as some heavy KBs )
for the past month between 3-5 times a week and find them to be both
a nice addition and compliment to my Barbell and Kettlebell workouts.
( I will be posting some of my training workouts a little later today )

I use them mainly for GPP ( General Physical Prepardness )and as a
added bonus working with them has provided and nearly eliminated
a nagging shoulder problem that I have endured for a few years.
Excellent for overall shoulder stability !
The main drills that I have been doing with them have been Swipes,
Mills, Cleans and Swings. No need for Presses or any other types of Grinds
when I got Kettlebells and Barbells to use. As with KBs , I only use a
few movements but I will work them to death.

For example: 2 CB Swipes 25 lbers for 10 sets of 5 , or 5 sets of 10.
Brutal but effective when you make the rest time a factor.

Cons:

The first thing that I did with both the 25 and 45 lbers was to remove
the " lanyard " from the top of the handle. Looking at them reminded me
of being back in the Marine Corps and trimming the " Irish Pennants "
( Unsat Uniform Condition ) before inspection. Useless to me. Might
be good for the smaller CBs but not for the larger ones. Makes about
as much sense as selling a DL Barbell with built in wrist straps.

The second thing was that the knob end of the 45 lb. CB is the same
size as the one for the 25 lb. CB. ????
The circumference difference between the 2 handles is about an inch
but yet a command decision was made to keep the knob size identical.
I feel that a larger knob is necessary to be used as a hand stop.
On my next trip to Home Depot I will buy something to take care of this
problem.

I also find the handles to be too smooth to my liking and I will try
to do a few things to remedy the situtation. I don't use CBs for grip
work since I have other ways to train for it.

I have experimented quite a few different ways using bands and
KBs and have experienced increases in both limit strength and
explosive strength. I have also used this principle for endurance
training but even though I never did do a max rep test I have no doubt that it would be of benefit.

The movement that I primarily did was more of a swing high-pull than
just a swing. I would pick up the KB and do a swing back and then go
right up into a high-pull. The swing high-pull follows a similar path
to the comp. snatch as it stays close to the body.

Now to be fair I mostly used the mini-band as opposed to the light
band (as far as snatch assistance work goes) but I also mainly used
the 145 kb instead of the 100. I trained with bands and kbs 2x a week
for 3 weeks and then tested out this training method.
I used a Westside approach for 1 day (dynamic effort) by doing 10 sets
of triples using a 60 second rest (145 + mini) and the other day I added
weight to the 145 (straped on 2- 20 lb leg weights + plates) and
did 5-7 single pulls.(max effort)

Mostly what I was after was to increase my 1 arm limit strength
with the fat 100+ (I got a single with each arm using 115).

My weakness was the second pull so I hooked up the band so that band
tension was not off the floor but a few inches before the second pull
would be engaged. ( If I was weak off the floor I would just adjust
the band so that the tension was engaged as soon as the back swing
would start coming forward ) Great,Great training.

I can't stand doing partial moves such as snatches from hang position.
I have never found much carryover to the full movements doing them.
But! I have noticed in your training posts that you do them so the
band kb drill will both help and/or eliminate the need to do them.

Wanna know a great KB/Band grip exercise (in case you don't know)

Take your fat handled KB and the light band. Put the band into the
handle opening length wise. With the KB on the floor and the band
centered through and place each foot into each band end.

All you do is pick up the KB ala 1 arm DL. The reverse pull is like
no other while using the bands. Switch to a bigger band if need be
or just put some twists in the one that you got for more resistance.
I swear this feels like the tension that you get on the grip after the
KB drops from the top on the fly. Much better IMO that regular
farmers walks or holds.

Yes, I do 1 ME L/C Dead Clean + Press and 1 ME Swing Snatch workout a week.

Most of the time for the ME L/C C+Ps I stick to Prilepins intensity chart but not for the Swing Snatches. I have found that the intensity chart works well for 2 arm drills but not for 1 arm drills, since I don't believe that it was intended for this purpose. I can handle much more volume work with snatches even at percentages greater than 90% due to the fact that I am training 1 arm at a time.

I rotate the ME exercises every few workouts for the L/C C+Ps but not for the snatches. For the C+Ps I might use 70 lb kbs and 20 lbs of chain added to each for 1 workout and the next I might use either the 53s or 62s and add more than 20 lbs of chain to them. Today for example I used 2 KBs with a fixed weight of 80 lbs and did 5 sets of triples. I keep track of my PRs and try to surpass them whenever possible. I'm only interested in L/C C+Ps so in order to work them effectively with Swing Snatches in the same training cycle I place the KBs outside of my legs and start the initial pull using the Dead Clean variation and not the Swing Clean one, even though I can swing clean more weight than dead clean. Less taxing for me in using different pulling positions and less redundant.

Since my main focus is the Long Cycle Clean + Press I attach the chains to the KB so that as soon as I start to pull the chain starts to load evenly all the way to the lockout position. All reps done in touch and go fashion.

If I wanted to focus on just the press portion of the L/C C+P movement I could use a secondary chain attached to the primary chain that would be set to load as soon as I started to press from the rack position.
Of course, I could also work on just Dead Cleans and Military Presses on separate training days as well.

For ME Swing Snatches I like to use my fat handled 100 and just add weight plates as needed with duct tape. For 100-105 I use mostly triples and with the 88 to 95 I use mostly 5s. Singles for anything over 105.
My set count varies depending on rest, food intake, other stress etc but I try to get at least 5 in and have gone up to 10 with either the 100s or the 88-95 kb.

My other 2-3 weekly training days are the same 2 KB movements except they are done mainly for GPP and strength endurance purposes. I keep the reps low between 3-5 and use a high set approach ( 10-20 ) Key factor here is time of rest between sets. I'm hooked on using 15 seconds rest between snatch sets at the moment for the 70 lb KB. I use 3s or 5s for at least 10 sets with the only difference between the two being the tempo of each set, 3s = fast and 5s = slightly slower. For C+Ps I use the 53 or 62s for sets of 5 with a 30 second rest or the 70s for 10 sets of 3s or 5s and a 1 minute rest break.

Hope this gives you a general idea of what I'm doing! If not ask.

I couldn't care less if the WD was written by fred flintstone
at the bedrock quarry or by god on a few slabs of rock tablets.
It has worked for me! Now mind you , I have not used the WD as
a means to lose weight. I have used it mainly to keep my weight
in stable at around 200 lbs. I have been on it for 2.5 years and
find it to be the best eating pattern for my needs.

Have I gained strength on it ? Yes ! No question about it!

The only calories I ingest during the day come from heavy cream.
I drink coffee and water only during the day and I never eat before
8 at night. ( I use 1 TBLS of cream with 1 large cup of java 4 cups
per day )

I eat 1 large meal at night , consisting of red meat ( 96% fat free
ground beef , or an occasional filet mignon ) fish ( Chilean Bass )
or once in a great while chicken or turkey. I also include either
a large salad with flax oil ( Barleans ) and fat free cheese.
A few times a week I cook up some veggies in coconut oil only and
serve that with my protein of choice. I can't remember when I had
starchy carbs last. That includes corn which may be a veg but a
starchy one at that. I don't drink at all either! I am 43 next week
and feel great all day all the time. Can't remember the last time I
was sick.

I never eat before I train. If I train in the morning I also don't
eat til later that day with no lack of energy, providing I ate
enough calories the night before, of course. Could my training
session improve if I ate before I trained ? or my lifting numbers ?
Maybe ! Do I care ? Not really ! The health of my joints are more
important that my absolute strength or strength endurance numbers.

BTW, if you want to know what my workout numbers are , just scroll
back on this forum a few months. I like to think that they are decent.
I also pulled 575 @ 197 last year while on this diet. As long as I have
enough energy to complete my training program than IMO it is quite valid.

Eddie

Wait a second ! I thought you only ate once a day and follow
a Warrior type diet !

Just kidding , it's me who does.

About your Deadlift. I feel that once you drop the excess bodyweight
that you are carrying , your DL number will go up. If I remember correctly
the 705 DL PR that you had, was done at a much lower bodyweight. 245 ?
You have posted ( elsewhere ) that 450 lbs feels difficult at the start
of the movement. If this is the case then IMO it's because you have lost
some speed off the floor. ( start )

I base this on the fact that I pulled 575 @198 last year when in all
of my previous years DLing ( about 25 ) I could never seem to get any
higher than 505-515 and this was at a " normal " bodyweight of 225.

Granted I never did speed DLs or the RSR at my old weight,
but I still believe that the key addition to my DL was a subtraction
in bodyweight. I tested this theory out about 6 months ago when I did
a few DL workouts while wearing a 30 lb. weight vest. At that time my
DL was 535 but I had trouble pulling 5 plates with the vest on! No Shit!
Since I am lighter , I feel faster... therefore I get a better
pull off the floor which just happens to be the strength my DLing.
I always think SPEED when I am about to pull.
I just wish the same would apply to my bench press. Still sucks in the
low 3s. Great looking diet and training program !!

I limited my density workouts to either 3-5 reps but the sets
and timed rest periods always varied. I also used mainly the
70 lb. KB but 2 times a week I used the 88. I never used more than
a 60 sec. rest break between sets. Here are a few examples;

70 lb kb Dead Snatch - 10 sets of 5 reps per arm - 60 sec. rest

70 lb kb Dead Snatch - 10 sets of 3 reps per arm - 30 sec. rest

My best last year was - 20 sets of 5 per arm with the 70 and using
a 45 sec. rest.

For the 88 I like 10 sets of 5 with a 60 sec. break.

Most of the time I did density drills with only the Dead Snatch ,
but once in a while I would do 2 KB overhead pressing moves also.

I only used 3-5 reps because it was easier for me to keep track of
the count.

Note: When I started doing these I could only dead snatch the 70 kb
for 14 reps per arm, but after doing these types of workouts I was
able to do 30 reps per arm, without lowering to the shoulder either.

Good Luck
Eddie

Tom,

Yes ! Right now I am focusing on both DE and ME for a few Posterior Chain Movements which include SLDLs, Clean High Pulls ( using heavy KBs ) , and 1 arm KB Swings and 1 arm KB Snatches. These are done on a rotating basis every 2-3 days. For high rep work I am using either JS Heavy Band GMS or bodyweight rev-hypers. Also, SLDLs will be done using either 25 or 10 lb plates for the purpose of increasing the movements ROM. DLs are not being used in this training cycle. However, I might switch up the ME SLDLs with some Safety Squat Bar GMs using both fixed weight and chains.

Pressing movements will consist of DB incline at ( 30 degree) flat bench
and 2 KB Dead Cleans & Presses. These will not be done using a DE and ME template but more of a maintenance workout. I will be including Floor Presses using DBs and band work for the tris. I got DBs up to 120s so that should keep me busy for a while!

I don't keep track of my bodyfat levels but at 6' 2" I'm 201 and quite lean. I don't wish to add any weight not even muscle due to the fact that it hampers my plastic left knee. The less weight I carry the better.
That's also why I can't squat.
I do follow a WD eating plan and only eat at night. Been doing it for a few years now. I never eat breakfast or luch and prefer to just have black coffee. I don't count calories either. At night I eat mostly organic meat Bison and organic vegetables and plenty of coconut oil. No sugars, no starches not even grains. I never get hungry eating this way and I always train on an empty stomach. The level of concentration is awesome this way. As far as supplements I am a big believer of multi vitamin and minerals and 2-3 grams of C with every evening meal. No creatine or protien shakes either. Only whole foods and 1-1.5 gallons of poland spring water daily. Hope this helps!

Ok, I have used the Westside Max Effort and Dynamic Effort method at least 3 times in the past 2 years. I've tried it for the following movements. 2 KB Presses, 2 KB Dead Clean + Presses, Swing Snatches and Swings.

For 2 KB Presses ( short cycle ) I've used chains for DE day and found that doing triples for 10 sets was adequate. I used a small secondary chain to attatch the main chain to the KB, so when I was in the rack position I only had the fixed weight of whatever KB I was using at the time. Main chain would engage ( evenly ) as soon as I started pressing all the way to lockout.

For ME 2 KB Press day I stuck with using only KBs, as opposed to switching weekly to other overhead fixed weight lifting tools such as BBs, DBs, or heavy Med balls. However, I did use JS Green Bands for an occasional ME day for some low volume work to help address lockout weakness. Mini bands were also used for warmup purposes and were done using an explosive manner. 3-5 sets of triples and I was ready to press max!

2 KB Dead Clean + Presses were done ( different training cycle ) without the use of chains. Since it was 1 clean for every press I used mainly a fixed weight of 53s for speed work and going up to 80s for ME work.
The reason I used the Dead Clean as opposed to the Swing Clean was because the Dead version training load ( being much harder ) was a close match and didn't overpower my pressing load numbers and ability.

For Swings and Snatches it was again mostly fixed weight being used for the weekly ME and DE workouts. The only exception to this was when I substituted either or sometimes even both in favor of 2 hand Hi-Pulls with
my 145 lb KB. I attatched a mini band for speed work and for ME work I added fixed weight for some max pulls. Great assist. exercise for swings or snatches!!

I don't do pistols so I can't help you there but I have used Westside for DE and ME using both chains and bands. Again great way to increase your 1 rep chinning strength. Use 10 sets of doubles or triples for DE and 5-7 ME pulls a week and you'll see an improvement.

Main thing for me has always been to never to focus on more than a few ( 2-3 ) movements per training cycle.

Hope this helps
Eddie

Coconut Oil - I use either wildernessfamily ( as does cleaner464 )
or tropicaltraditions brand ( coconutinfo.com )
IMO, Best tasting oil on the market . Solid at room temp ( yes I know
it's saturated , but harmless IMO ) so you can eat it with a spoon.
It's the only oil that I cook with. Ever have a Deep Fried Turkey
for the holidays fried in coconut oil ? It'll knock your Turducken
to the bottom shelf. You could eat coconut oil all day with a spoon and
not have Montezumas Revenge. A Major Plus.

Barleans Flaxseed Oil ( I hate udo's ) Tastes Great .
Almond Oil - nice, real nice taste. Great on burgers .

Try sugar free jello. 2 boxes of this with some sugar free whipped
cream will fill you right up.

Chilean Sea Bass - 2 lbs of this will fill you right up.
Best tasting fish I have ever had. I pay about 12 bucks per lb.
but you could probably get it cheaper down where you're at.

Heavy Cream that I get is zero carbs , but some do have 1 gram
so best to shop around.

No eggs on your diet ?

Much better tasting IMO. I don't care about the fat content or cost
besides it's only 90%,if I ate it for fat content reasons I get leaner
beef instead.

Also started eating ostrich a few months back.
4 oz = 28 grams of protien. Excellent gamey taste when you consider
that this is 98%.

Great point about the low carb or no carb diet choice. I have doing
almost zero carbs ( trace only ) since the last week in september,
mostly because I prefer to eat this way although my regular eating
pattern is nearly the same with the main exception being vegetables.
No starches ever. I never crave sugar on a near zero plan. If I do
crave something it's extra calories and that usually means that I did
not eat enough in the first place to fit my training needs.
Only good fats, extra lean meats, ( last 4 weeks it's been 1.5 lbs
of buffalo daily ) and cheese on top with a choice of a half dozen
kinds of hot sauce with the smoked flavor being the best. Really top
shelf with some scrambled eggs added on top and covered with 3-4 TBLS
of flax oil.

However, I'd be a fool to think that this would be the best way for
me to train for a specific strength endurance session where I would
attempt a PR or two. Past experiences have taught me that I would need
about 1.5 days of carb loading to be at my best performance level.

OK, you asked. If you could compare it to any diet out there
it would most resemble the WD. I have been eating this way for
about 4 years or so. I don't use it to lose weight or gain weight
but more so as a way of maintaining my current weight. I just find
that eating only 1 meal at night and a snack a few hours later is
the easiest way for me. I don't count calories and I don't eat sugar
starches or grains. Fat, protein and some carbs in the form of vegetables
and fruits ( berries most of the time ) are the mainstay.
For 20 some years I always had a training weight of about 220-225
but now I keep it at 195-200. Less stress on knees = more pain relief.
Once in a great while I will eat ice cream ( the real stuff ) or some
bakery fresh cakes or pastries. None of this 1 bite only nonsense though.
If I get a cheesecake I will eat it all in one sitting. Same goes
for ice cream all or nothing ! But it is once in a great while.
Some of my best workouts come right after such re-feeding frenzies.

So you could bet the ranch that if I was competing in a strength-endurance
event I would carb load. I know what works for me. Nothing like carbs for optimal performance. I mean, whatever I can do for 20 reps now after
carb loading it would without a doubt increase due to my constant low carb state. Can't carb load properly unless I'm carb depleted.

I couldn't care less if the WD was written by fred flintstone
at the bedrock quarry or by god on a few slabs of rock tablets.
It has worked for me! Now mind you , I have not used the WD as
a means to lose weight. I have used it mainly to keep my weight
in stable at around 200 lbs. I have been on it for 2.5 years and
find it to be the best eating pattern for my needs.

Have I gained strength on it ? Yes ! No question about it!

The only calories I ingest during the day come from heavy cream.
I drink coffee and water only during the day and I never eat before
8 at night. ( I use 1 TBLS of cream with 1 large cup of java 4 cups
per day )

I eat 1 large meal at night , consisting of red meat ( 96% fat free
ground beef , or an occasional filet mignon ) fish ( Chilean Bass )
or once in a great while chicken or turkey. I also include either
a large salad with flax oil ( Barleans ) and fat free cheese.
A few times a week I cook up some veggies in coconut oil only and
serve that with my protein of choice. I can't remember when I had
starchy carbs last. That includes corn which may be a veg but a
starchy one at that. I don't drink at all either! I am 43 next week
and feel great all day all the time. Can't remember the last time I
was sick.

I never eat before I train. If I train in the morning I also don't
eat til later that day with no lack of energy, providing I ate
enough calories the night before, of course. Could my training
session improve if I ate before I trained ? or my lifting numbers ?
Maybe ! Do I care ? Not really ! The health of my joints are more
important that my absolute strength or strength endurance numbers.

BTW, if you want to know what my workout numbers are , just scroll
back on this forum a few months. I like to think that they are decent.
I also pulled 575 @ 197 last year while on this diet. As long as I have
enough energy to complete my training program than IMO it is quite valid.
Bodyfat Drop??-
Yes it did but it was low already. I am probably around 5%
now and when I started this eating plan I was around 9% tops.
Eddie

Me, my reasons for using Coconut oil/butter are as follows. ( oil and
butter are the same- the butter which is solid stays that way until the
temperature hits around 73 degrees than it turns to oil ). It is the only
oil I use to fry with Reason -it raises your bodies metabolism . How do
I know? Take your body temp. than take a spoonful of coconut oil wait
about 1 to 1.5 hrs and check again . My bet is you dont even need to check
you should feel warmer . I know, I know , you could do that with any oil
You might be right but the effects wont last as long IMO and why would you
want too. I tablespoon of coconut oil has 6.8 calories while any other oil
has 9. Why not fry in poly. oil - because poly. oil slows body metabolism
while as I stated before coconut oil raise it. Is it saturated Yes ,will
it harm me No. Now coconut milk is a fine supplement to the oil, I make
a real great coconut ice cream with it but would I use it in its place No
Hope this helps.

Try these 2 links wildernessfamilynaturals.com - tropicaltraditions.com

allow me to share with you the outstanding success i have had using the
WD. I have followed this type of eating pattern since march of this year.
As of right now i see no reason why i would ever want to deviate from it.
It is not a strict WD.but nonetheless it is based almost entirely on it.
My daily eating plan consists of 3 mugs of coffee with 1 teaspoon of stevia,
1 tablespoon of light cream in each mug with 1 mug in the morning, 1 mug
around noon , and 1 mug around 6:30 P.M. right before my main workout.
Call me a fool but i eat NO FOOD whatsoever until around 8P.M. At that
time i take 2 grams of vitamin C and 1500 mg of alpha lipoic acid . Between
10 to 15 minutes later i eat a pint of blueberries and drink 20 to 25 grams
of BCAA s . Then i start cooking my main meal of 1.5 pounds of 90% fat free
red meat with a plateful full of vegetables (lately its been red peppers,
green peppers, and spanish onions) although i vary the veggies from time
to time. But the beef has been the main staple throughout . The secret
ingredient that i use is what i cook it in and thats coconut oil.this oil
has 6.8 calories per tbls. as opposed to the nine of any other oil but
its key function that makes it unique is that it raises your metabolism,
as opposed to the worthless polyunsaturated oils that SUPPRESS your thyroid
and suppress your immune system . Plus it also tastes great . I never eat
starches , white sugar ,or grains yes and that includes corn which is a grain .Please understand that diets are not written in stone and dont be
afraid to try something different since we ARE all unique.
"Do you believe in Jesus?"
---Yes.
"Well, you're gonna meet him!"

Charles Bronson, Death Wish 2

mrzero
Gunny

Post by mrzero » Thu May 19, 2005 1:33 am

nugget nugget nugget
Life ain't a track meet; it's a marathon

Trip

Post by Trip » Thu May 19, 2005 12:53 pm

Thanks Tom.

Gaara Gryphon
Gunny

Post by Gaara Gryphon » Thu May 19, 2005 1:18 pm

Thanks!
Mendokusai...

Dazed

Post by Dazed » Thu May 19, 2005 1:38 pm

Holy crap, thanks!

Hagbard
Sgt. Major

Post by Hagbard » Thu May 19, 2005 2:35 pm

Thanks, Tom. Got your email as well.

Thanks, GG.
?

irontamer
Gunny

Post by irontamer » Thu May 19, 2005 9:50 pm

That's good stuff.
"With 135 on the bar you don't get to be called "Bro", unless it is curls or skull crushers." -PL54