York Barbell Wall Chart #2 & York Barbell Course 1-4

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Tom
Sarge

York Barbell Wall Chart #2 & York Barbell Course 1-4

Post by Tom » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:53 am

Each standard weight set York sold came with courses 1-4. I don't think they ever changed them. They stuck with what worked.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:29 pm

YORK COURSES No. 1-4

Course No 1
WarmUp - light Power Snatch
1. Two Arm Curl
2. Two Arm Press
3. Deep Knee Bend on Toes
4. Two Arm Pullover
5. Stiff-legged Deadlift
6. Supine Press (Bench or Floor Press)
7. Side Bend, Barbell on shoulders
8. Jefferson Lift (Straddle Lift)
9. Rise on Toes
10. Shoulder Shrug

Course No 2
1. Reverse Curl
2. Press Behind Neck
3. Deep Knee Bend Feet Flat
4. Two Arm Press in Wrestler's Bride position
5. Bent-legged Deadlift
6. Sit-Up
7. Bent-Over Barbell Row
8. Leg Press with Barbell
9. German 'Goose' Step with Barbell
10. Supine Press (Bench or Floor Press)

Course No 3
Repetition Weightlifting Course
1. One Arm repetition Jerk with Barbell
2. One Arm Snatch with Barbell
3. Two Arm Press
4. Deep Knee Bend Feet Flat
5. One Hand Overhead Squats
6. High Pull (Belt Height)
7. Press behind Neck
8. Two Arm Dead Hang Snatch
9. Two Hand Jerk
10. Two Hand Dead Hang Clean

For beginners one set of 6 for upper body and one set of 8-12 for lower body. Three times a week, adding one rep to each exercise on every second session.
When you have doubled your reps, add weight.
Advanced guys could do a second set (same reps, less weight). Exspecially for Course 3 and squats/deadlifts you could do a 5,4,3,2,1 scheme.

Bob Hoffman developed these course in the 1930s or 40s and they were 'extremely result producing'. They came with his Barbells he sold.

1. Two arm Military Press
2. Two arm Snatch
3. Two arm Clean and Jerk
4. Bent Press
5. One Arm Snatch
6. One Arm Jerk

YORK #4
Andy wrote a great article on the application of the York courses in the Sept "Dinosaur Files", it describes all the courses & the principles that Hoffman recommended. If your interested in the York courses I'd recommend geting a back issue from Brooks.
I took my 1st stab at the #4 yesterday, it's the competition lifts of Hoffmans day. This is a heavy day, the trainer was to work up to a heavy poundage in each of the lifts. Hoffman recommended 5 sets of 3, 3x5 or 5,4,3,2,1 & a back off set of 5.
Heres the course
BB clean & press
Snatch
Clean & Jerk
Bent press
One arm BB snatch
One arm BB clean & jerk

One Dumbbell York Course
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Going on vacation? Limited budget for weight equipment? Kid keeps bugging you for a routine but you don't trust him with your expensive gear yet? Try this old York course

From Advanced Methods of Weight Training

1. Toe Touching with DB overhead (go sideways and forward...an oblique exercise)
2. Bent-over Back Hand Curl
3. Bent-over Regular Curl (similar to a concentration curl)
4. One arm Clean and Press
5. One Arm Swing
6. One arm Upright Row
7. One arm Military Press
8. One Arm Swing with Split
9. One Arm Snatch without moving feet
10. Side Press
11. Bent-over Row
12. Side Bend

Think of 2 and 3 as warm ups (as well as 1)...

POSTED BY BROOKS KUBIK
No. 4
One hand snatch, one hand clean and jerk, two hand clean and military press, two hand snatch, two hand clean and jerk, bent press. These were the five lifts used in competition in the 20's and early 30's, plus the bent press, a lift Hoffman enjoyed doing. Later, the 3 Olympic lifts (two hand clean and press, two hand snatch and two hand c& j) became the core of the program, since they were the "competition" lifts from the mid thirties on. In the 30's and 40's, Hoffman described the trianing of the York lifters and how many of them did nothing but the three lifts in their training, or how they devoted the lion's share of their effort to the Olympic three. So really, if you train two hand clean and press, two hand snatch and two hand clean and jerk, going heavy on each, you are doing "course no. 4."

ASSISTANCE EXERCISES FOR YORK COURSES 1-3

Course 1
dumbell swing
alternate press
forward/lateral raise
one arm press
db fly
alternate curl to shoulder and press
dumbell OH toe touch

Course 2
side bend
front press(standing bench)
Zottman curls
punches--at least six each straight jab, hook, uppercut, cross
ccurl from crucifix
db pullover
complete shoulder ex--front raise,to crucifix, to overhead

Course 3
db swing
alternate press
touching toe
one arm press
fly
alternate curl and press
complete shoulder ex

do one db exercise after a bb one(slide between exercises in the normal course) or combine 1 and 2 as a day to itself.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Tom
Sarge

Post by Tom » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:15 pm

You can still buy them. About a year ago I bought them from Vintage Muscle Magazines & Books. And they weren't reprints. They must have had a bunch stashed away somewhere because the ones I got were old but in excellent condition. I threw out the courses I originally got years ago because I thought they were outdated. I had the swingbell course too. You can see that at SandowPlus under Bob Hoffman minus the wall chart

SandowPlus

szczepan
Gunny

Post by szczepan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:15 pm

great stuff, thanks for posting.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:58 pm

York Application of Heavy/Light/Med System from Brooks Kubik

(1) Course no. 1, consisting of one set each of 10 standard barbell exercises, performed for one set of 10-15 reps.

(2) Course no.2, consisting of a similar course, but using different exercises. For example, press behind neck instead of standing press.

(3) Course No. 3, consisting of 10 repetition weightlifting movements, performed for one set of 5-10 reps each.

(4) Course no. 4, consisting of a heavy day where you worked up to your max on the Olympic lifts (including the clean and press and the one hand snatch), along with the bent press. This was a 5/4/3/2/1 day for many lifters, although the sets and reps were very much at the lifter's discretion.

You would do course no. 4 on Saturday. If you were really strong and energetic on that day, you'd follow course no. 4 with one of the other courses.

You would rest on Friday and Sunday, i.e., the day before and the day after the heavy day.

On Monday, you would take a medium day by doing course
no. 1 or course no. 2, or both of them.

On Wednesday or Thursday you would do course no. 3, the repetition weightlifting course. This was the "medium" day.

On the other two days (Tuesday and either Wednesday or Thursday, depending on when you did course no. 3), you would have a "tinkering' day where you did light dumbbell moves, Iron Boot work, gut work, grip work, headstrap exercises, and cable (chest expander) work. (These were sort of what we now would call "active rest" days.)

Thus, the York program had different workouts, different exercises, a combination of Olympic weightlifting and "body-building", different set/rep schemes, Ol work for reps and OL work for singles, competition lifts in split or squat style and "power" style moves (e.g., power clean or power snatch), lifting from the hang, active rest days and a combination of heavy, light and medium days.

In a sense, those simple old courses were far more complex and much better thought out than 99% of the courses you see written up nowadays.

If you use a three day a week pressing program and want to continue to do so, you can do a simple heavy/medium/light schedule by dropping 10% for the medium day and 20% for the light day--or just drop 10-15 pounds for the medium day and 20-25 for the light day. It varies from lifter to lifter, but here's the key: if you usually feel strong and aggressive on the heavy days and you get good workouts on those days and are gradually moving up in weight, then you are doing things right. Otherwise, you are working too heavy on the other two days of the week.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Brooks
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González