Hoffman Simplified System of Barbell Training No. 1 & 2

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Hoffman Simplified System of Barbell Training No. 1 & 2

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:42 pm

Course No. 1

WARMUP -

1. Two Hand High Pulls x 10-15
2. Side Bends x 20
3. Two Hand Curl x 10-15

INCREASE WEIGHT BY 50%

4. Stiff-Legged Deadlift x 15
5. Two Hand Military Press x 10-15
6. Shoulder Shrug x 15-20
7. Bent Row x 10-15

INCREASE WEIGHT BY 50%

8. Toe Raises x 30 (vary with toes pointed out, in and forward)
9. Straddle Lift x 10-15 (per side)
10. Squats On Toes x 10-15
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:51 pm

After following the first course for a minimum of one month, Bob Hoffman recommended the following course for the intermediate trainee:

Course No. 2

WARMUP -

1. Two Hand Clean & Press x 10-15
2. Two Hand Reverse Curl x 10-15
3. Barbell Teetotum* x 10-15

INCREASE WEIGHT BY 50% -

4. Press Behind the Neck x 10-15
5. Two Hand Repetition Split Snatch x 10-15
6. Good Morning x 10-15
7. Upright Row x 10-15

INCREASE WEIGHT BY 50% -

8. Squat x 10-15
9. Barbell Straddle Hop x 15-20
10. Pulls to Sternum x 10-15
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:12 pm

STEVE MAXWELLS SIMPLIFIED HOFFMAN ROUTINE:

After a tough weekend in Kissimee, Fla.coaching my team in the BJJ Pan Am Tournament,I arrived home monday morning feeling drained but like I needed a workout.Because my energy was low, I could'nt face my normal KB routine and I just felt the need to do something different.
Outside in my wall enclosed backyard gym, I keep 2 ,55lb stainless steel KBs,a 75lb barbell,2 ,125lb steel farmers walk implements ,a chin/dip rack and a 25' rope climbing tower.It is here that I enjoy some of my most productive workouts,even in mid winter.
Because of my low energy mood,I decided to do my own version of the old York Simplified BB.System. Brooks Kubik has sung the praises of the York programs in his Dinosaur files for years.There were several variations of this program,so I decided to combine the exercises that I enjoy for my own little version.
Here's what I did.
1.strict curls 10x
2.continuous clean and press 10x
3.bent over rows 10x
4.side bends with the bar across the shoulders 10x each side
5.squat on toes 15x
6.squat to press behind neck 15x
7.split snatches alternating legs 10x
8.good mornings 10x
9.straddle hops 20x
10.rotating deadlifts 20x(10 each side)stand erect ,feet shoulder width,
and touch the bar outside the leg by bending the outside leg. The other leg remains straight.It looks like a side to side lunge.What a great side and low back movement! Hoffman refered to it as the barbell teetotum.
11.highpull rapid deadlifts 15x(almost like cleans except you don't flip the bar.
12.hindu pushups 25x
13. hanging leg raises 10x
14.High tension power breathing through a tube into a bucket of water
15.Dump the icy water over your naked body and vigorously towel dry with a course towel.(optional on the water treatment)It was 35 degrees,normally comfortable except I just got ack from 82 degree Fla. weather.This was my way of re-acclimating to Pa.
Did I mention that you do not put the bar down during the entire routine? I was breathing so hard my rib cage ached.My grip and forearms were on fire.That little 75lb bar felt like 175. Bob Hoffman knew a thing or two about training athletes way back in the day.Try this workout as a challenge to your mental toughness and resolve(not to mention pain threshold).If your looking for a change of pace and a great strength/endurance cardio workout,you can't go wrong.You bigger guys might do better with a 100lb bar.Anyone under 170 will find 75lbs a handful!
Good luck and please post your experience with my version of the simplified barbell system.
Steve Maxwell