Traditional MAs Vs Reality Based MAs

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Dave

Traditional MAs Vs Reality Based MAs

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:26 am

Author Topic: Traditional MAs Vs Reality Based MAs
Gav
Member # 34

Member Rated:

posted October 17, 2004 02:01 PMOctober 18, 2004 02:01 AM

I agree completely with everything you say, with the minor amplification that it is indeed possible to train yourself around the fight or flight response, which is the ultimate goal of traditional martial arts. The person who wants to quickly develop useful life defense skills would be much better served to see the esteemed Mr. Franco than any traditional artist, 'master' or otherwise. Most arts and artists are useless in the majority of situations that involve motivated violent attackers, skilled or otherwise. The criminal, unless deranged, will pick the easiest target available and ups the odds with strength of numbers, surprise, weapons, and anything else he can get. It is very difficult, no matter what your skill level may be or art you study, to deal with a situation of overwhelming force applied by surprise.

I have been a traditional martial artist most of my life, and have been in an unnaturally large number of violent altercations. If my conscience is clear, and it always is because I would never attack anyone without good reason, unarmed is always the last choice. Like every smart farmer in Orange County, the shotgun is always close by. Not an option for the more urban Comrades, but there are other ways to even the odds. Anyway, the self defense versus traditional martial arts animosity is based in grandiose self assessment on the side of the traditionalists. Money is a factor, too, as is the general tendency for loyalty on the level of religion on both sides.

My opinion is that there are many good reasons to study traditional martial arts, but quick useful self-defense skills are not among them. On the other hand, those with a longer time horizon and tolerance for level of effort requirements would be well served to check into the various combat-oriented traditional styles. Places where real combat is still frequently conducted with hand held weapons often provide the most effective arts – Java, Sumatra, Philippines, etc.. Of course, I would be remiss if I did not mention the fact that many Chinese people living in all of these countries as often targeted minorities practice Baguazhang. I'll use mine after I can't run and expend all my ammo.

Garm

Original post http://forum.dragondoor.com/training/message/54204%5C
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.