Maxwell on X-Vest training

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Dave

Maxwell on X-Vest training

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:28 am

Author Topic: Maxwell on X-Vest training:
Fat Cat
Sgt. Major
Member # 65

Member Rated:

posted September 29, 2004 01:05 PMSeptember 30, 2004 01:05 AM
The weight vest makes body weight exercises and calesthenics progressive. As chinups, dips, pullups and pushups become easier, the vest increases the amount of resistence thus making the movement harder again. I don't advocate running with a heavy vest. The impact on the supportive structures of the feet, ankles and knees recieve to much trauma. With walking, however, the impact is a lot less. You still must build up slowly. Don't go out the first day with 40 lbs. strapped to your body and try to walk 5 miles. You will risk serious over use injury. The weight of the vest is adjustable. Start with 5 or at the most 10 lbs. for the majority of your exercises. Here is a partial list of the exercise movements that I advocate with the the weight vest;
chinups, pullups, dips, pushups, squats, hindu squats, hindu pushups, dive bomber pushups, handstand pushups, renegade rows, bear crawls, one arm pushups, pistols, hanging leg raises, rope climbing, squat thrusts or burpees, mountain climbers (aka sprinters), calf raises, wrestler bridges, yoga sun salutations (ashtanga sun salutation B), walking, walking on the treadmill at 10' incline, lunges, lunges on the treadmill, climbing stairs, climbing the stair master, back extensions, pelvic raises, one leg pelvic raises, no hands getups from the floor, prone plank pose, side plank pose.
These are enough to get you started. Start out light and build up. Use impeccable form on all movements. It makes no sense to add resistence to your body and use sloppy form.
Steve Maxwell

--------------------
I Trust Me
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.