Pavel's hip flexor drill

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Dave

Pavel's hip flexor drill

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:30 am

Author Topic: Pavel's hip flexor drill
Curt McDonald
Sarge
Member # 156

Member Rated:

posted September 21, 2004 11:41 PMSeptember 22, 2004 11:41 AM

As I understand it, it is to help relax and stretch out the HF so they don't interfere with your hip snap. I have used it with great success for myself and especially with beginning KB'ers to dis-inhibit their hip snap. AFAIK, it runs like this:

The hip flexors are antagonistic to the glutes; if the glutes are tightly contracted the HF are inhibited.

The adductors are synergists (if that's the right word) with the glutes; they help the glutes fire.

So you lay on your back with your feet on the floor, knees bent, and squash a pair of shoes or a fat towel roll between your knees while forcefully tightening up your glutes.

During this squeeze and tighten, you bridge from your shoulders to your feet. This arch stretches out your hip flexors while they're inhibited from fighting you.

All I really know is, it makes my hips feel a lot more "open" and helps me and my clients get the hip snap down.

GDG!
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.