MA Styles

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

szczepan
Gunny

MA Styles

Post by szczepan » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:00 pm

Before UFC 1?

Assuming you weren't, did you believe in a "best" style?

Myself---had never heard of BJJ. As I look back to the 80's, it's hard to describe how deluded I was. Basically, I believed in a perfect pecking order in the combat arts, and that your effectiveness in the street was entirely a matter of what art you studied. The following is how I ranked the TMA's and other arts, and why. (And yes, I really did believe all this shit).

1) Jeet Kune Do. Of COURSE this was the best. It was frickin' Bruce Lee's style, for Christ's sake. Look, nobody---I mean NOBODY---could beat Bruce Lee. Not any single man, and probably not even any two guys from the others on this list.

2) Kung Fu. Fuckin'-A. Animal styles, the Shaolin Temple, chi blasts, sticky hands, and magic powers galore. What the fuck are you going to do to a Grand Master Snake stylist? Get beat down, that's what---unless your name is Bruce Lee.

2) Ninjitsu (tied with Kung Fu). Take the mysteriousness of Kung Fu and spice it up with evil alignment and some nasty weapons. If a Ninja and a Kung Fu master should meet in combat, god help us all. No telling who's better---and anything could happen. These two groups in conflict topped my combat fantasies in the '80s. I would scour magazines like Inside Kung Fu to look for relative opinions and whether any historical encounters had occurred.

3) Tae Kwon Do. Crescent kicks, flying kicks, axe kicks, spinning kicks, helicopter aerials, double whammy splitters for dealing with multiple goons. HEE IL CHO, bitches---WHAT. Only a ninja can deal with the airborne assault a TKD grandmaster can deliver, and even then only by trickery and using weapons. Head to head, not quite sufficient to deal with a real Kung Fu red sash---but unbelievably deadly nonetheless.

4) Karate. Board breaking, Chuck Norris, Cobra Kai, Mas Oyama, Mr. Miyagi and Daniel San. It might not be Kung Fu, but shit, it IS Oriental. Which means it's mysterious and possibly deadly. Easy to follow belt system. Definitely good enough to kick the tar out of some boxer or street tough, but nowhere near as effective as Tae Kwon Do, and just plain shitty vs. Ninjitsu or any kind of Kung Fu.

5) Kick Boxing. Kind of a poor man's white trash martial art. No mystery at all. A haven for those wishing to be deadly, but lacking the funds to take a proper martial art. Some nice elements, like spinning fists, but otherwise pretty low on the ladder.

6) Judo/Jujitsu. Cool ass throws and arm locks, but it's hard to do this shit when you're getting spin-kicked in the face or mantis-clawed in the fuckin' heart. Mostly for "self defense".

7) Boxing. Pfft. Good only against the untrained. Any average TMA'er in the above categories will smoke a boxer in a street fight.

8) Wrestling. Wrestling? I mean, WTF. Tackling people? That's not fighting.

For those of you old enough, share your own stories of delusion and fantasy in the pre-Gracie/UFC days.

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:18 am

Thanks for moving it over [-o<
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.

szczepan
Gunny

Post by szczepan » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Dave wrote:Thanks for moving it over [-o<
I didn't think you'd mind since there is nothing against jeek or -s-onnon in the post.

Garm
Sgt. Major

Post by Garm » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:29 pm

szczepan wrote:
Dave wrote:Thanks for moving it over [-o<
I didn't think you'd mind since there is nothing against jeek or -s-onnon in the post.
What about the replies? Jeeke is a fool and Sonnhole a punk.
My SIG can beat up your SIG.