Author Topic: Sorting the hype from the truth
Member # 34
posted September 05, 2004 12:35 PMSeptember 06, 2004 12:35 AM
Tsatsouline is in business and has to make a buck. I greatly appreciate the information he has spread about Russian powerlifting routines, and I have purchased most of his books. Won't be buying any Pavelizers or Kettlebells, simply because they do not fit into my athletic goals, but I am certain that they are quality products that deliver on their promise.
I don't begrudge him or anyone else the right to make a living - if you have something besides hot air to sell. Louie Simmons is a great squatter, and has assembled a team of very strong people to spread his gospel. However, one must dig below the hype to get at the truth:
1. They do not (ever) lift in drug-tested meets.
2. They always lift in organizations that allow the most extreme supportive gear. Suits and wraps that would never be allowed in international competition are commonplace, as is lifting technique that would never pass in the IPF.
3. Nearly every Westside lifter was nationally ranked before they came to Westside.
4. Club members are recruited.
5. Simmons did not invent speed training (he calls it the dynamic effort method), near-limit training (maximal effort method), or combining the two (conjugate method). Nor did he invent chains, bands, 'special exercises', etc. He may have invented the reverse hyper machine, however.
6. (Most important) the vast majority of world-class strength athletes did not and do not use Westside methods.
Anyone who wants to try their routines is welcome to, and I wish them great success. But please spare me the 'Louie is God' crap.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: May 2004 | IP: Logged
Heart Breaker & Life Taker
Member # 1
posted September 05, 2004 12:45 PMSeptember 06, 2004 12:45 AM
Do me a favor and include a link to the orginal discussion whenever possible. Comments like the above need some context so it does not seem like I have an axe to grind against Westside or Simmons. I've been humiliated by too many Westsiders in too many meets to hold them in anything but high regard.
Posts: 1704 | From: Elsewhere | Registered: May 2004 | IP: Logged
Member # 34
posted September 05, 2004 01:37 PMSeptember 06, 2004 01:37 AM
Link to original discussion
An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.
1 post • Page 1 of 1