Musings and observations - Martial Artist vs. the Systemist

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Musings and observations - Martial Artist vs. the Systemist

Post by DARTH » Wed May 03, 2006 2:37 am

Shape,

Your point is valid on some systems, but I did not see where this guys Monkey style was overly complicated, it looked damn practicle, and very well rounded, a complete MA, as opposed top a component MA.
I saw things that are also in AikiJujutsu, FMA, and Choy La Fut.
I like to use this analogy with people regarding CQC, Jujutsu and Aikijujutsu.

Take 3 twins, identical in every way, same temperament, exp. ect.
Put 1 in CQC, the 2nd in Jujutsu, and the 3rd in Aikijujutsu.
Now in 3 months, the CQC guy would hospitalize or kill the Jujutsu guy, and just fucking murder the AikiJujutsu guy.
Do it 5 years down the road, and the Jujutsu guy will beat the CQC guy and brutalize the Aikijujutsu guy.
Now come back 15-20 years down the road and it's a coin toss between the Jujutsu and Aiki Jujutsu guy, the CQC guy, if still doing it, is no pussy, but the other artist are like Jazz musicians, and the CQC guy is a Rock guy , playing covers in a band so to speak.
Now at the 30 year and above mark, fucking fear the Aiki Jujutsu guy, because he will walk through the other 2 like they weren't even there.
One of the coolest things about MA is, no mater how good you are, or how good you feel your skills are, someone will come along and blow you away. That's good because A. Keeps your ass in check. B. Because you know there is always more to learn.
Kiyama has said " I am a zero." That "zero" is like the closest thing toi a Jedi,you will see in real life.
We are all less than zero, but most shlubs arent even on the scale, to get on the scale, you train, train and train.

I say this as a Jujutsuka, an Aiki Jujutsuka, and someone who practices CQC and another modern combative system.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Wed May 03, 2006 2:40 am

Dylan,

Can you please explain the how and why that the CQC guy will prevail.

Then tell me what CQC offers content wise?

FORCE RECON!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure Jack, because in 3 months, unless your really gifted, or are a natural scrapper, you wont have enough of a handle on Jujutsu or Aikijujutsu, versus CQC, because CQC is a lot more basic, tends to use techniques that have a high probability for success.
Now CQC is a genaric term, their are plenty of systems ( Hocheim, Bukido, Combato ect ect.,) I can speak for the McCann style and one of the former.
It's an offensive system, does not wait for the enemy to make the first move, uses downward face smashes, Hammerfist , axe hands, forearm pipes and stomping drops to generate power, which as a TSD instructor you know it takes a bit of time to get people to generate power from the hips, but using body dropping can be taught in a day. Their is rotational power in it too, but drops are stressed ( and it helps when as your face smashing the guy, your stomping and pinning his lead foot )
The combinations are High/low and or Visa versa, uses a sheild/helmet elbows forward penetrating blocking technique, the main targets are face ( nose, eyes.) throat, side of throat, jawline, nuts, knees, insteps, coccyx, and base of skull.
The kicks are all below the waist ( while the enemy is standing mostly, lo front, stomping cross kicks, Oblique stomping, side to knee,what they call an axe kick-Kind of a dropping Round kick to the side/back of knee. and are simple exp. the front kick you lean into instead of back, to keep your balance and momentum.
The joint locking and destructions ( well breaking) is all but simple, elbow and above.
You train against guns, knives and clubs.
You train manly with Focus pads and shields, and with control, against each other ( Ands if you have a FIST suit, all out.) from day 1, no in the air shit till later.
Many of the training drills are much like shooting and contact drills, you drill drill drill to make it automatic. Lots of cold target progression training, it gets people identifying targets, and the best, nearest weapon to them, and the movement to get the target knocked down, and not dwelling on the complex. Again, an attacking mindset is fostered from day 1.
A lot of it does have it's roots in martial arts and Military Hand to Hand, it's just simpler.
So for that reason, I'd say that more offten than not, if your trying to become a hard target ( being able to take care of yourself, not Barney Bad Ass) in a very short time, than a good CQC system is a great way to go.
In my exp. as a Jujutsu Instructor and an Aikijujutsuka, 3 months is enough time to learn how to get your ass really kicked.( again, if your not an MA/scrapper allready)
As time goes on, like with many arts, the Artist become better than the Systemist. ( Hey new word Systemist tm=)
The Systemist has burned in combos and techniques, he's trained to attack and all that, but he is much like a guitarist in a R&R cover band, playing the songs note for note, with a little ability to improvise.
The artist has all the above skills, but at a higher level and he is like jazz guitarist or a Frank Zappa, Carlos Santana, Buddy Guy or a Danny Gatton. The Artist understands the principles and can achieve flow state pretty much at will, and because the principles are burned into him, he makes up combos and techniques in the fight, according to the tempo and balance of the engagement.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy