simple pulse test to monitor recovery by maxwell

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Trip

simple pulse test to monitor recovery by maxwell

Post by Trip » Mon May 08, 2006 7:51 pm

A simple daily pulse test that I have used over the years has helped me avoid over doing it. Sometimes, it is hard to determine feeling tired or just plain lazy. There have been times that I felt really crappy and would have a great workout. Other times I would feel great, but have a terrible workout. Sometimes there was no apparent reason for any of this. The following technique was originally developed by the East Germans for their elite athletes to help determine the level of workout exertion for that day. I have used it for years and I believ that it has been a big help. Each morning for two weeks, take your pulse in bed upon waking. I use a hand held moniter that reads my pulse form my finger tips. I find that it is more accurate than counting from palpating my carotid artery. If you do use a manuel reading, take it for at least thirty seconds to reduce errors. Take three readings. At the end of the two weeks, you have your average pulse reading. Each morning, take a reading. If your pulse is more than 4 beats above your average, it means that you are not completely recovered and should take an easy workout that day. If the pulse is more than 4 beats above, rest completely. Your systemic recovery is compromised or you are probally fighting something off or in the form of a viral infection. In this way you remove the guess work and have a measuring tool.
Steve Maxwell

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Tue May 09, 2006 12:46 pm

JMGrumpyO, but I don't get why everyone cheered Steve for this one. "Wow, great idea!"?? I've heard about it and done it since I first began exercising (mid-'70s). It's been atrributed to more people than 'tight-loose-tight' has. Sorry, Trip, but I thought this was close to common knowledge.
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

greenghost
Gunny

Post by greenghost » Tue May 09, 2006 4:35 pm

UM..... I agree with elrod.
" Once You've Walked Through The Fire Unscathed, Nothing Else Can Ever Burn " USMC

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky » Tue May 09, 2006 4:43 pm

Whether Maxwell deserves any credit at all, it's still an interesting nugget for the more ignorant members of the board (like me).

Trip

Post by Trip » Tue May 09, 2006 4:52 pm

Well I didn't fucking cheer Steve on, nor did I already know about it. So you grumpy mother fuckers can go fuck yourselves.

judobrian

Post by judobrian » Tue May 09, 2006 5:04 pm

Nothing I'd heard about either. Thanks for posting, Trip.
Rain don't change the sun...

Tom
Sarge

Re: simple pulse test to monitor recovery by maxwell

Post by Tom » Sat May 13, 2006 4:09 pm

Trip wrote:If your pulse is more than 4 beats above your average, it means that you are not completely recovered and should take an easy workout that day. If the pulse is more than 4 beats above, rest completely.

I think Steve made a typo.

Andy77
Lifetime IGer

Post by Andy77 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:34 pm

stosh wrote:JMGrumpyO, but I don't get why everyone cheered Steve for this one. "Wow, great idea!"?? I've heard about it and done it since I first began exercising (mid-'70s). It's been atrributed to more people than 'tight-loose-tight' has. Sorry, Trip, but I thought this was close to common knowledge.
Totally agree. I know for sure Adam used that when fucking/overfucking Eve.
Obama...'I burned your house down and saved you from slipping in the bathtub." ...Greg Gutfeld.

SeaBass
Corporal

Post by SeaBass » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:49 am

Andy74 wrote:
stosh wrote:JMGrumpyO, but I don't get why everyone cheered Steve for this one. "Wow, great idea!"?? I've heard about it and done it since I first began exercising (mid-'70s). It's been atrributed to more people than 'tight-loose-tight' has. Sorry, Trip, but I thought this was close to common knowledge.
Totally agree. I know for sure Adam used that when fucking/overfucking Eve.
Rumpelfuckingforeskin