Best general training advice there is

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Dave

Best general training advice there is

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:35 am

Author Topic: Best general training advice there is
Trip
Member # 31

Member Rated:

posted July 28, 2004 08:21 PMJuly 29, 2004 08:21 AM
Best advice there is. No such thing as a magic or best routine. They are all pretty much the same. What the individual should concentrate on is form first, intensity second, set and rep cycles third, diet last, and supplements not at all.

1. Learn the exercise.
2. Load up bar, commence lifting. The more reps you do, the more you learn. The heavier it is, the stronger you get.
3. If you want to get bigger, add more weight to the bar and more food to your plate.
4. Never, ever read a bodybuilding magazine again, no matter who writes for it.

[ July 29, 2004, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: GavinHurt ]

Trip
Member # 31

Member Rated:

posted July 29, 2004 07:29 AMJuly 29, 2004 07:29 PM

Lich
Gunny
Member # 136

Member Rated:

posted September 04, 2004 12:36 PMSeptember 05, 2004 12:36 AM
If I may interject something, I think you are mostly correct, but I would name consistency as the number one factor in any type of training. After that come form, intensity, and so on. None of the latter are going to matter if you only do the work once ever 2 weeks and then 4 weeks, and then 2 days together, and then again 6 weeks later. You'll always be starting from ground zero. Hence Consistency as the #1 factor of importance.

You can delete this if you think I am full of shit.

garm
Heart Breaker & Life Taker
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted September 04, 2004 12:50 PMSeptember 05, 2004 12:50 AM
I disagree - consistent training with poor form would be counterproductive. Form is first, always. Consistent training coupled with idiotic dietary habits, inappropriate routines or schedules, or any other factor would be similarly damaging. A lot of times 'consistency' is a trap: overtraining, injury aggravation, dysmorphic psychopathologies, etc. You must first get smart and skilled, then apply consistency - it is not even close to the top priority.

However, your general sentiment is quite apropos, and a large number of failures can be laid at the door of poor discipline, the tendency to change routines with every monthly arrival of Flex or 'new' article on whatever web sites your frequent, etc. Nobody will ever achieve anything without some good old fashioned stick-to-itiveness, while others who may not work as hard but can remain focused pass you bay.

Steve P
Gunny
Member # 91

Member Rated:

posted September 04, 2004 03:02 PMSeptember 05, 2004 03:02 AM
I would argue that consistency is subsumed under the rubric of learning. Most of the form learned in executing the heavy lifts is highly perishable and demands consistency to achieve proficiency. Without it, the weight won't increase, the injuries will.

Lich
Gunny
Member # 136

Member Rated:

posted September 05, 2004 02:32 AMSeptember 05, 2004 02:32 PM

After re-reading your post, I'd like to rephrase my first sentiments.

The factors of training which are important are indeed what you wrote, i.e., form, intensity, scheduling, etc... The application which needs to be applied for any of them to be worth anything is consistency. I.e., consistent practice of good form first, consistent practice of intensity variation second, and consistent practice of proper nutrition, etc...

Would you buy that for a dollar?

SARowe
Sgt. Major
Member # 35

Member Rated:

posted September 05, 2004 11:03 AMSeptember 05, 2004 11:03 PM

--------------------
"The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them."

-- William Clayton
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.