Lemon's required reading

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Dave

Lemon's required reading

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:36 am

Author Topic: Lemon's required reading
Trip
Member # 31

Member Rated:

posted August 31, 2004 10:51 AMAugust 31, 2004 10:51 PM
Oh boy, that's a tough one, but I will try. I have spent many years trying to master and apply the wisdom and helpfulness in the following tomes, and hope to someday be worthy of the work and insight that went into them.

In no particular order:

"Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" by Shunryu Suzuki. Even if you aren't a Buddhist and never sit in full lotus in your life, you ought to read this collection of his talks. The man embodies a generosity of spirit and true humility that never fails to inspire. The perfect antidote for anyone who is sick of our celebrity obsessed, Jerry Springer-ized society and is ready to give up on humanity. It's like sipping from a pure bubbling brook.

"QiGong Teachings of a Taoist Immortal" by Stuart Alva Olson. The clearest, simplest, most intuitive explanation of what chi is, how to develop it for health, vitality and um, wisdom. The easiest, most understandable explanation of how to complete the Lesser Heavenly Circuit any Westerner could hope for.

"Xing Yi Nei Gong" by Cartmell and Miller. I've said it before - this is a gem. One of the best introductions a person could have on how (and why) to train in the internal arts (especially Xing Yi) and an inspiring recounting of one particular master, Wang Ju Wu, and his methods. Outstanding instruction in San Ti, and the 16 Health Exercises should be part of every health and fitness instructor's reportoire. Plus the book itself is beautifully designed and put together.

"Body Rolling" by Zake and Goldman. This is actually a bodyworking book, not a martial arts book or fitness book, but it addresses issues that anyone concerned with maximum health and performance ought to think about. It has a sophisticated "low tech, high concept" approach to the task of releasing excessive muscle tension & pain & adhesions that anyone - fit, sedentary, in pain or under chronic stress - ought to investigate. After I complete school and pass the licensing boards in massage therapy, this is the very first subject/seminar I plan to attend.

"Chi Kung: Way Of Power" by Lam Kam Chuen. A followup and expansion of some of the themes in "The Way Of Energy". Anyone who has been sandbagged by the terseness and ambiguity of I Chuan founder Wang Xiang Zhan's writings will find the keys here that they need to make their Standing Meditation practice thrive in this book, especially if they are learning on their own. Again, the book is well designed and pleasant to look at - great photographs and illustrations, high quality paper, etc.

"Qi Healing: The Way to A New Mind and Body" by Toshihiko Yayama. A Japanese MDs approach to meditation, chi development and the nature of reality. It gets quite flaky in spots (unless you are seriously into metaphysics) but I guarantee you will be exposed to aspects of chi kung and health that you hadn't thought of.

"Singles And Doubles" by Matthew Wiggins. A modern day classic. IMO, every athlete needs to read this book. Wiggy's protocol combines the best aspects of density training, odd object training and 'grease the groove' methodology. Seriously, get this book. Would Lemon lie to you?

"Ten Essential Herbs" by Lalitha Thompson. No, I'm not kidding. There are more comprehensive (and better) herbal books out there, but this is one of most empowering "entry level" herbal books a person can own. It contains more valid and helpful folk medicine than you can imagine, and puts the keys to better health in your sweaty hands. For instance: one of the 'essentials' is ONIONS. Another is PEPPERMINT. A third is CAYENNE. A fourth is GINGER. These are all easily obtained, inexpensive herbs with dozens of applications that will enhance the quality of your life. For some things, you need a doctor. But for the 'little things', this is your book.

"Myotherapy" by Bonnie Prudden. An expansion and follow up to, her revolutionary book (at least to me) "Pain Free". Explains trigger points and muscle spasms better than almost any other layman's book and offers hope and inspiration to anyone bedeviled by chronic pain. There are other, perhaps better, soft tissue treatment methods out there, but this book will get your attention and make you look at your soft tissues and fascie in a whole new light.

"Yoga: Mind Body and Spirit" by Donna Farhi. Yes, a Hatha Yoga book. I no longer think that Hatha Yoga is the best method for flexibility, total fitness development, sports preparation (GPP and SPP) or even health in general, but Farhi's book embodies true yogic spirit, inventiveness and emotional and personal commitment to a path (Judith Lasater and others are also great yogis and writers, but this is my favorite). Read this book to help you understand what it means to make your method your PRACTICE, not just something you do.

I didn't include any books by Pavel because everyone here knows about them, and anyway, his videos that are even better. Same thing for Coach Sonnon - you need to see his videos before you dive into his books or he might lose you. Having seen "Grappler's Tool Box", I am a believer, but you might not be unless you've seen it (or "Fisticuffs" or the Clubbell video) too.

This is my humble little list. I am almost ashamed to admit that I have each of these books, but am still a bozo. That's my fault and my limitations, not theirs. I am still trying to apply their teachings, and am having a lot of fun in the process.
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.