Steve Maxwell career advice

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Trip

Steve Maxwell career advice

Post by Trip » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:33 am

I have been in the business for over thirty years. I remember my amazement when I found out that people would actually be willing to pay someone to work them out. Get a basic science background with some college level courses in anatomy, physiology and kinesiology. Some knowledge of physics and biology would help as well.Read up on nutrition as well. A sound knowledge of the human body is essential. If money is an issue, at the very least go to the library and read on these subjects. Don't become one of these trainers who is self taught from the muscle magazines. Most fitness publications are designed to sell subscriptions to the unknowing and are full of mis-information. You have to be trained in the classical sciences to know what is bull and what is usefull. Once the education is taken care of, be in great shape. Make sure that you are a good advirtisement for yourself. If you are fat, get lean, if you are skinny, add some muscle. You don't have to look like a bodybuilder(that is a major turnoff for many people)but be trim and muscular. Start part time after work and on the weekends. Advirtise yourself to your friends and co-workers. You may opt to join a gym. There start offering some help and free advice to some of the begginner members. Show them that you know your stuff. Offer to help set them up on a workout plan. Most gyms that do not offer personal training have members wondering around in a daze. Many commercial chains could care less about offering productive workouts for their clients. Another option would be to get hired by a gym that does offer personal training. Present a resume to the person in charge and try and get an interview. Come off as personable and don't be a know-it -all.
With the Russian kettlebell system, you have an opportunity to work independantly. I know a guy that works out of his own little garage gym. He has a chin and dip rack, a deadlift bar and several size kettlebells. he makes an extra couple thousand dollars a month part time in the evenings and weekends. A lot of the neighborhood teens came to him for preseason football training. Make sure you get a business card with your essentials. Hand them out everywhere. Of all the certifications that I have, including a masters in physical education, my RKC is the most practical and valuable certification that I own. I hope this gives you a few ideas. It's a good business and does a good service for people who otherwise probally wouldn't exercise on their own.
Steve Maxwell
http://www.maxercise.com