Mr. Cotter on sparring

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Dave

Mr. Cotter on sparring

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:39 am

Author Topic: Mr. Cotter on sparring
Trip
Member # 31

Member Rated:

posted August 23, 2004 07:44 PMAugust 24, 2004 07:44 AM

I disagree that sparring is not profitable. There is a wide range of what one might call 'sparring'. However, I hae always sparred for real, and I know that Makena is coming from the same place.

We're not talking about Mcdojo or what have you, but when a group of serious, dedicated individuals train, the only difference between sparring and real is the degree of control/intent.

Yes, adrenal dump is real, and yes if the sparring is real sparring, you can and will train how to deal w/ combat (as opposed to sparring) more effectively than one who 'learns it' in a weekend camp.

No disrespect to Tim or Tony or the methods that are built on Target and response to stress. There is a lot of value there, and I think a course would be time well spent for trained and untrained alike.

Here's the thing---fighting, survival, you name it---is about MOVEMENT.

Good training is about effective movement.

So I will never buy that you will get more out of 'psychology' and 'stess-adaptation' training than years and years of good training, which by the way includes those things too, and also include sparringa and other physical contact.
These courses are quick, dirty and easy, which is what makes them successful.

Here's the question to ask, can I stop Mike Tyson, Cung Le, Bob Sapp, you name the badass--in the street if they/he is intent on taking my life, with what I am learning here? Or, at the least, does this give me a better chance of escaping alive?

If the answer is yes, then it is worthwhile.

Steve

Author Topic: Advice for the average guy Vs genetic mutant
Gav
Member # 34

Member Rated:

posted August 22, 2004 06:37 PMAugust 23, 2004 06:37 AM

One thing about any routine taken from Coan: Coan was a superhuman right from the get-go, squatting and deadlifting stupidly heavy weights as a skinny 165 lb teen. It's best to look for the workouts that have taken Joe Blow Average from a regular guy to a strong guy. Just like how you wouldn't take advice from a 173 lb guy looking to get down to 165 lb. Look for the average people who have worked their asses off to get where they are, and try that stuff out.

Shaf
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.