ncreasing your OH Press Numbers--Keith Wassung

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Dave

ncreasing your OH Press Numbers--Keith Wassung

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:41 am

Author Topic: Increasing your OH Press Numbers--Keith Wassung
Jim, RKC
Sgt. Major
Member # 17

Member Rated:

posted August 09, 2004 09:08 AMAugust 09, 2004 09:08 PM

Jesse,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. I hope you dont mind me posting this on the training board-we can communicate via e-mail regarding specifics of your program and for progress reports and feedback. Posting on the training board also gives you the chance to get other opinions and advice on this.

I that to increase your standing overhead press, you have to do a couple of things (1) technique (2) getting the low back and mid-section strong and (3) getting your body physically and mentally prepared to lift heavy weights over your head.

Technique-Use a staggered stance, ie your dominant foot in front of the other by about 10-12 inches, almost as if you were taking a baseball batters stance-this puts your in a much more powerful and stable position to lift. Practice with a somewhat narrower grip-many guys use the same grip on their overheads that they do on the bench press-I think bringing your grip in just a bit will give you a stronger and faster press. Speed-you have to to really get the bar moving fast and keep it moving fast-think explosive!

One of the limiting factors in the overhead press is the lower back and mid-section-you can have a really strong lower back ( as I know you do) from doing deadlifts and squats, but its a different type of strength when elevating weight overhead-I would suggest doing movements such as overhead lockouts ( you dont have to use a ton of weight) waiters walks, and overhead shrugs to strengthen the low back and obliques. Train your mid-section hard-I bet if I looked at all of the members of this board, the common denominator of weakness would be lack of emphasis on mid-section strength-we all neglect it-its not much fun, its not much of a challenge and at the end of the workout, we always say--I will do it at home tonight in front of the tv--and then we dont. Use weighed movemements and do as much static stuff as possible-I am of the opinion that the mid-section should largely be worked with static movements.

To really overload the body, I believe you have to do standing presses, for several sets of fairly low reps, such as 5 or less, and frequent near limit singles. ( such as 90-95% of max for several reps) I also would encourage you to do some sort of seated overhead press-MAKE SURE that you do this with the back braced-very important. I think most seated press machines stink in their design. You dont want the back of the unit to come up in higher than your back-if it does, you cant get your head out of the way of the bar. I also suggest doing the seated presses starting from the bottom position and not where someone hands it to you from the overhead position, and then you bring it down and back up-you want to mimic the mechanics of the standing overhead press as much as possible. I would advise you doing a seated 80 degree incline press as a core exercise. This takes the lower back out of the it and really allows you to get used to lifting heavy weights overhead. I believe that if I had never done the seated presses and the 80 degree presses, I would have NEVER gone over 300 in the overhead press. The other movement is a heavy push press done in the power rack. You put the pins a couple inches below the starting position. squat down and get set with the bar, explode up ( just 2-3 inches) elevate the bar to just over the top of your head, and then slowly count to 5 on the way down, set it on the pins, explode and repeat for 6 total reps-this is the most brutal thing I have ever done for the upper body-you wil likely need a spotter ( just to yell at you, rather than for safety reasons) but this will do as much to improve your overhead press as anything I know.

Hope that gets you to a starting point and again, I am sorry it took so long to respond. E-mail me anytime

Keith
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.