The ladder equation, why people fail with ladders

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Mick
Gunny

The ladder equation, why people fail with ladders

Post by Mick » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:13 pm

recently posted on DD -

'Ladder sets are meant to be submaximal, a skill practise and used less frequently than other types of GTG. The major mistakes people make with ladders are, using them to frequently, pushing the top number to far and not resting enough between sets. The entire idea of ladders is to train the neural pathways for maximum muscular efficiency and to increase work capacity. Using the ladder technique, I can do 50 pullups in 10 minutes. It would be difficult to do that same volume using EDT or traditional training sets. I find that for me, ladder sets work best if I repeat them three times per week, not more. Daily ladders do not work for me. For strength endurance, the ladders reign. Most trainees push to close to their limit on each round. It's okay to repeat the same number twice if nearing muscular failure. For example a trainee might perform 1, 2, 3, 4 but when he attempts 5, it feels like it will be a maximal effort. So repeat 4 again and don't push it to the limit. In this way you practise without undo fatigue. Former HIT jedis will have a lot of trouble with concept because their whole thing has always been to go to failure.

Steve Maxwell'

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:31 pm

I've written extensively about that, now haven't I?