GreenGhost - Coconut Oil Question

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

cqc10
Gunny

GreenGhost - Coconut Oil Question

Post by cqc10 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:10 pm

If I remember correctly, you get your coconut oil from here:

http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/

Which 'type' do you prefer?

(1) Centrifuge produced coconut oil

or

(2) Traditional Phillipine produced coconut oil

Thanks!

greenghost
Gunny

Post by greenghost » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:30 am

Yeah, that's the place. I've tried both types and I actually prefer the traditional taste over the centrifuge. I started out buying the trad. only and only got the cent. when they were out of the other.

Both taste great whether you eat them by the spoonful or for stir fry. No difference performance wise as far as training goes or as it relates to inflammation.

Currently, I'm not using any coconut oil. Been using only animal fats for the past 3 months in the form of fresh meats, ( no deli garbage ) egg yolks, and plugra butter. Nothing else. Zero carbs for over 8 months. Fish oil mega dosing was stopped about 3 months back with no sign of any inflammation. Animal fat is where it's at !

The cholesterol/testosterone link in the absence of carbs is working very, very well. Recovery is awesome and strength is really good considering lower bodyweight. Of course, I consider the 20 hour daily fast to be a key factor as well.

Eddie

cqc10
Gunny

Post by cqc10 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:36 am

Thanks Eddie!!

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:16 pm

Eddie,

When in your "fasting/eating" cycle do you train ?

How much, if any, importance, do you attach to a "post-workout meal" ?

If important, within what time frame post-workout do you think it's important to eat ?

Do you ever get "super-hungry" pre-workout ? If so, do you just ignore it, or do you have something to "stabilze" to help have maximum concentration on the work at hand ?

I have been enjoying "IF", (intermittent fasting, randomly distributed 15-20 hour fasts, for health/energy reasons, ) but, sometimes, to some degree out of habit/"superstition" feel I "must" eat post-workout, earlier in the day than I otherwise might, thinking that the additional stress of waiting to replenish myself on top of the stress of the just performed workout will be counter-productive/unhealthy.

Also, if I didn't get to train in the a.m., and have not eaten all day, I sometimes find I am hungry to the point that it distracts from the energy I want to devote entirely to training.

As you seem very much at ease with the program you've implemented, I'm interested to know your thoughts/experience with this.

I realize everyone is an "experiment of one" but your experience & insights would be helpful.

TIA

Eddie

greenghost
Gunny

Post by greenghost » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:53 pm

Eddie,

Most days I train twice, once in the morning and once in the evening and the workouts rarely exceed 20 minutes each after a brief warmup.

Post workout meals? Never after the morning session and that's when I do my heaviest lifting/training. ( Deadlifts/ Presses )

It's been years since I ate either breakfast or lunch. I eat my main meal after my evening training session. That's around 8-8:30 and I eat a light snack between 10:30-11:00. That's it til the next day and I simply repeat.

I never get hungry during the day or before a workout. If I do it simply means that I didn't ingest enough calories the previous day.

I've been IFing for at least 6 years now however, it's only been zero carb since Dec 24 05 . The key here for me is a higher intake of animal fats than protein. I pan fry my steaks lightly on the outside and the inside is red. Never any processed meats such as bacon,hot dogs,deli meats, etc.
Fresh meat and plugra butter. Nothing like it! I have no problem eating the same foods day in and day out. I was only going to try this for 1 year but am already committed to doing this next year as well. The only real craving is for steak and butter, and mostly when I'm cooking it.

Now keep in mind that I do take extra muliti-vitamins,multi-minerals , C, E, and a few others . The only liquids that I drink are black coffee ( 2 x large dunkin donut turbos ) and spring water during the day and flavored fruit 2 0 water at night. I never drink booze.

Never any carb/sugar cravings even when my twins eat their junk. Yes, I let my twins eats candy and donuts. Hey, I did at that age.

Very hard to overeat on a high fat/ moderate protein way of eating. Probably because of the extra bile production when ingesting fats.

The mental focus/alertness that comes with IFing is extraordinary.

Good Luck

Eddie

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:43 pm

Thank you Eddie. Good Stuff. Interesting. Glad it's working well for you.

Although I've not yet fine tuned my version of IF as well as you, some of what I enjoy is the clarity/lightness during the fast, and eating a really satisfying meal during the feast.

Interesting to me that you don't eat after your heavy morning training, and your comment that if you are hungry, you did not eat enough the day before. I wonder how much coffee helps you follow this way ? I'm not a coffee drinker.

What is, "flavored fruit 2 0 water" ?

Best,

Eddie

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:57 pm

Cayenne wrote:What is, "flavored fruit 2 0 water" ?
This:

http://www.kraftfoods.com/fruit2o/

Pretty yummy.
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

The Evil Future Mutant
Gunny

Post by The Evil Future Mutant » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:01 pm

Just my 2 cents...

I've doing IF since May and my bodyfat has dropped from the upper 20's to the mid teens while only losing about 10 or 15 pounds total.

Since I work out late at night, I will drink a protein drink after my workout because I didn't do this the last time I did IF and I got skinny and so far I'm not "twigging out."

I got a guy I work with doing this.

He's a few years older than me (mid 40's), had heart surgery in his 20's or 30's, chubby, has tried a bunch of diets and supplements etc.

As I keep dropping bodyfat and tightening my belt, he hasn't lost an ounce (he admits to pigging out on anything that doesn't move when he gets home) but he keeps with it because he feels better and has better mental clarity during the day.
"To attribute obesity to 'overeating,' " as the Harvard nutritionist Jean Mayer suggested back in 1968, "is as meaningful as to account for alcoholism by ascribing it to 'overdrinking.' "

cqc10
Gunny

Post by cqc10 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:14 pm

Eddie -

Could you perhaps provide a brief overview of your training approach? I have reviewed your training logs, and it looks like you 'basically' do the following:

-Mon / Thur (Pulls of various sorts)
-Tue / Fri (Presses of various sorts)
-Extra workouts in between

I see that you vary the type of pull and press, and also that you vary volume/intensity as well.

What is your approach to varying volume and intensity? When do you switch the type of press or pull you choose to do?

Thanks! (I really appreciate all the info you have provided)

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:55 am

Eddie (GG), I was also wondering what kind of multi-vitamin and multi-mineral you use. Thanks.

greenghost
Gunny

Post by greenghost » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:57 pm

Eddie - Yes, the coffee helps. I've been drinking it since I was in the Marines and I'm an addict. I never train without it!

Mickey - Right now I'm using a Vitamin Shoppe brand.

cqc10 - Gotta go train! I'll answer in about an hour.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:34 pm

Bump for gg.

greenghost
Gunny

Post by greenghost » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:20 pm

cqc10,

As far as Volume and Intensity I go nowhere near failure and just stay a rep or 2 short. Nothing new here. I'm done with 1 rep maxes. I'm DLing and Pressing 3x a week. However, I'm switching my Press movements every press day between DB Flat Bench, Incline BB , Overhead Presses ( DB, BB, Bands, and Chains ) and I throw in some occasional extra Tricep work.

KB work as follows: 2 KB Dead Cleans done using only 70s for short rest. ( 30 seconds between sets ), Swing High Pulls using 150 + KB using same principle.

Pullups/Chinups and/or Rows done as a warmup before DL day. Step-Ups done 2-3 x weekly on non DL day. JS Band Drills done 3x weekly. Some MA work 3 times a week as well. I also stretch almost every day.

I train 2x daily but rarely for more than 20-30 minutes each. Nice to be retired!

cqc10
Gunny

Post by cqc10 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:35 pm

greenghost wrote:cqc10,

As far as Volume and Intensity I go nowhere near failure and just stay a rep or 2 short. Nothing new here. I'm done with 1 rep maxes. I'm DLing and Pressing 3x a week. However, I'm switching my Press movements every press day between DB Flat Bench, Incline BB , Overhead Presses ( DB, BB, Bands, and Chains ) and I throw in some occasional extra Tricep work.

KB work as follows: 2 KB Dead Cleans done using only 70s for short rest. ( 30 seconds between sets ), Swing High Pulls using 150 + KB using same principle.

Pullups/Chinups and/or Rows done as a warmup before DL day. Step-Ups done 2-3 x weekly on non DL day. JS Band Drills done 3x weekly. Some MA work 3 times a week as well. I also stretch almost every day.

I train 2x daily but rarely for more than 20-30 minutes each. Nice to be retired!
Thank you so much for responding!

I do appreciate your time.

(This is very helpful BTW . . . )

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:53 am

Does anyone besides me feel this is nugget worthy?

ab g-d

Post by ab g-d » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:04 pm

Where is Eddie?
Growing old is not for sissies.

"I'm just here to regulate funkyness"
James Gandolfini in The Mexican

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:18 pm

:-k Don't know. He hasn't posted in a long while.

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:50 pm

Will someone clue me in as to where I can find decent research (and criticism of same) on the sat-fat good/bad question?

The websites I've found are all pretty one-sided and seem like "olive oil kills" tinfoil hat sanctuaries.

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:38 pm

GoDogGo! wrote:Will someone clue me in as to where I can find decent research (and criticism of same) on the sat-fat good/bad question?

The websites I've found are all pretty one-sided and seem like "olive oil kills" tinfoil hat sanctuaries.
In short, no one agrees (you can pretty much chalk the Weston Price folks up as a cult). Although I was skeptical of the rec., Udo's book is pretty good. Comes down to PUFAs and processing. SFAs and MUFAs are traditional elements of most cuisines throughout the world.

Nowadays, we use them in excess and extract them via processes that ruin the PUFAs via oxidation. Saturated fats and trans-fats resist that chemical process better.

Olive is not the "health food" tin foil folks think it is, it is at best a benign fat in that it can be trivially extracted (cold pressed) thus not exposing the oil to the oxidation process.

Best advice: get your fats from the shit they come in: meats, milk, fish, nuts, olives, vegetables, fruits, etc. Or if you must have olive oil, get it cold pressed in small amounts in dark glass containers and stick in the fridge.

All FAs have their advantages when consumed whole, extracted? Not so much.

If you are interested how the various kindsa fats might interact with genetic factors surrounding heart disease, I can PM you some good books and articles after I sort through the stuff.

Don't want to clog up IGx' arteries with my hypochondrias.

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:41 pm

Too lazy to read through the thread, but coconut oil is good as it resists oxidation by having some saturated fat and also is easily extracted in a low-tech fashion like olive oil.

Enduro folks like as it is practically instant fuel. Medium-chain SFAs evidently are metabolized quickly.

You could just eat coconut.

Sassenach
ironslinger

Post by Sassenach » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:22 pm

I got excited ... GG is back! ... and then I saw the date stamp.

Nugget.
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

Dazed

Post by Dazed » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:52 pm

NUGGET.
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary