Knee injury advice

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Dave

Knee injury advice

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:45 am

Author Topic: Knee injury advice
Gav
Member # 34

Member Rated:

posted August 01, 2004 04:40 PMAugust 02, 2004 04:40 AM

There are several very common knee injuries:
1) torn ligament, typically the anterior cruciate. Can be rehabbed without surgery, but if you're an athlete, surgery is likely better. (this is arguable, there are several pro athletes out there who play with unreconstructed full tears of their ACLs)
2) medial collateral ligament. Usually associated with an ACL tear. Again, rehab might do the trick
3) medial meniscus tear. It gets torn often in a "bucket handle" shape. This little flap can wedge in the joint and cause clicking, the knee to give, or lock the knee in place. Usually this needs surgery to clip off the offending hunk of tissue.
The above are the common acute bad injuries (posterior collateral ligament tears typically are the result of high force trauma: car accidents and the like)

Other stuff can screw with your knees. The knee is pretty complex in that it has more than one joint. You have the femoral/tibial joint and you have a patello-femoral joint. The patella essentially rides up and down in a groove.
If this joint is messed up (chondromalacia, patellofemoral syndrome, or other assorted diagnoses) surgery may not be the answer. there was a very well done study where they arthroscoped about half the participants and just made an incision in the other half so they thought they'd had surgery. There was no significant difference in outcome. Rehab is the answer unless you are basically crippled.

Anyway, this is an overly long post.The advice others gave you is good. Glucosamine is definitely good. In fact probably everyone over 40 ought to just take it. (and an aspirin a day if their stomach and kidneys are ok)
I had an ACL tear and am a surgeon(not orthopedist) so I made a point of learning a fair amount about knee injuries in general. If you have any questions, you can email me or direct message me. I'm on vacation, but will be back in a bit under a week. Of course, I won't be able to diagnose you over the internet, but I may be able to provide a bit better advice with some details about your injury.
Incidentally, if you're near a university hospital that trains residents, you can often get cheap or free care. You might look into it.
Stephen Rowe
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.