Following Coach Paul Wade...the man, the myth, the legend.

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Why am I training like this? Because FUCK YOU, THAT'S W

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:17 am

Monday should look like 5 sets of 2 box squats, 3 sets of 5 close grip BP, and DLs 5-8 singles. To go fast you have to push/pull HARDER on the bar...like the KB day. Just have fun and get some general S+C in. FS, KB thruster, sumo stance double swings or high pulls, c+P, bent rows are all good.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:04 pm

Thursday 8/27/11: KB S&C session.

Mobility for ankles, hip flexors, rolled t-spine.

Warmed up with some KB presses and pull-ups.

2 times through, rest was taken as necessary, supersetted:
  • 62# KB standing press - 5,4,3,2,1 (last week I did the first round with a 53#)
  • Chest-to-bar pull-ups - 1,2,3,4,5 (final reps on the second 5 set were easier this week)
  • after finishing those, did one set 10 KB front squats with double 32kgs
Those KB front squats were decently damn hard. FSing with KBs basically sucks. Really got the breathing up.

Conditioning set, 5 rounds for time of:
5/5 53# KB bent-over rows
10 double 53# KBs high pulls
7:57 (~50 seconds lower than last week)

In the @F world, I'm stronger, this is obviously.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:01 pm

Captain Quack wrote:Thursday 8/27/11: KB S&C session.

Mobility for ankles, hip flexors, rolled t-spine.

Warmed up with some KB presses and pull-ups.

2 times through, rest was taken as necessary, supersetted:
  • 62# KB standing press - 5,4,3,2,1 (last week I did the first round with a 53#)
  • Chest-to-bar pull-ups - 1,2,3,4,5 (final reps on the second 5 set were easier this week)
  • after finishing those, did one set 10 KB front squats with double 32kgs
Those KB front squats were decently damn hard. FSing with KBs basically sucks. Really got the breathing up.

Conditioning set, 5 rounds for time of:
5/5 53# KB bent-over rows
10 double 53# KBs high pulls
7:57 (~50 seconds lower than last week)

In the @F world, I'm stronger, this is obviously.

Quack,

This just right! KB FS GTG!

PL
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:03 pm

Saturday 8/27/11: Heavy (it's all relative, right?) PL day.

My schedule is all wacked out due to the grandparents being out of town for 3 weeks and their babysitting skillz going with them. I was happy to only miss 1 of 6 total workouts in these 2 weeks. We're in the rainy season, so it's 100+ degrees with humidity outside where I'm training. I don't mind it, but it probably takes a toll on my poundages.

Squat: Worked up to a 305# x 2. RPE 8, no psych-up.

Paused bench: Worked up to 225# x 2. RPE 8, no psych-up, no lift-off.

Sumo deadlift: Worked up to 370# x 2. RPE 8.

Jack, feedback please.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:21 pm

How did you work up? Working to a top set doing a move once a week is good but there are better ways to do exactly that. For example once you do one or two ramp up sets all sets become doubles until top set, then you might do a five rep back off set. Not a burnout set, just some more volume at around 8 RPE. Bench really needs much more volume than sq/dl.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:31 pm

Monday 8/29/11: Assistance stuff.

Still figuring out weights, since this is the first time I've done this particular workout.

Sumo box squats: 185# x 2 x 2, 205# x 2 x 3

Close-grip 1.5 board bench, no pause: 185# x 5 x 2, 195# x 5

Speed DLs: 285# x 1 x 6...this is only 57% of the 500# I want to hit, I felt I needed to come down in weight from the last time I did speed DLs so I could move significantly faster off the floor...I also haven't done any speed work since OLing many months ago.

Worked in 5 sets of 3 chest-to-bar pull-ups between sets as I felt like it.

Jack, PM sent.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:31 pm

The rest of this week became a default deload week, as my 3-year-old brought home a cold within a couple days of being back in school. Shit. Back to it next week.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:16 pm

Starting again. New week.

Monday 9/5/11: Heavy PL day.

Squat: Worked up to 325# x 1, back-off set of 295 x 5

Bench: Worked up to 245# x 1, forgot my back-off set

Deadlift: Worked up to 385# x 2.

Threw in 5 or 6 sets of 3 chest-to-bar pull-ups in there between stuff.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:39 pm

I got in my kettlebell workout sometime in the week of 9/5/11.

The following Monday 9/12/11 I did my last PL prep workout and went up to SQ 335# x 2, BP 245# x 1, and DL 385# x 2.

I didn't workout out again until yesterday (so two weeks of nothing other than a single set of 11 TSC-style pullups on Saturday).

I've decided I'm probably not going to do the meet because my family commitments are interrupting my training too much. I'll simply give myself more time to hit the 500# DL. I'm going back to the Dan John Intervention template, mainly because I enjoyed it and my schedule is too wacky (and not changing in the near future) to be on a strict program.

So...Monday 9/26/11: Resuming Intervention program. OLY day.

(OLYs count for the squat, hinge, and push)
Snatch: Worked up to a single at 175# (~88% of old 90kg max)
Clean & Jerk: Worked up to a single at 100kg (92% of old 110kg max)

Pull: 3 total sets of 5 sec. holds at the top pull-up position

TGU: soft rolls, hard roll, 3 half GU to 1 TGU

Weighted carry: several times down & back gym with 2 x 53# KBs

--

It is now the day after and damn my left knee has flared some tendonitis-type stuff. Laser, traumeel, and some ice should take care of it quick.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Thursday 9/29/11: Intervention Back squat ladders day.

TGU: soft rolls, hard roll, TGU with 53# KB

SQUAT Back squats ladder (no belt): 275# x 1,2,3...quit early because knees are still wanting to act up, even though they are improving (or should I say reacting less) all the time.

PUSH Plank for 90 seconds

PULL Batwings on bench, 2 x 24# KBs with 10 second hold at top, 3 reps first set, 2 reps, then 1 rep

HINGE Double 53# KBs, KB high pulls x 10 reps x 3 sets

CARRY 53# double KBs overhead walk down & back gym to double KB rack walk down & back gym to farmer's walk down & back gym, done as a single set.

--

Saturday 10/1/11: Intervention 5/3/1 "5" day Pendlay rows and close bench.

TGU: soft rolls, hard roll, 3 half get-ups with 35# KB

A1 PUSH Close grip (inside index at inside edge of knurling, based on 225# actual max) bench: 130# x 5, 150 x 5, 170 x 6
A2 PULL Pendlay row (snatch grip): 130# x 5, 150 x 5, 170 x 6

HINGE + CARRY + SQUAT
First round, single 35# KB, 10 Bulgarian goat bag swings + right hand overhead walk to end of cul-de-sac + 10 goblet squats + left hand overhead walk back from cul-de-sac.
Second round, single 35# KB, 10 Bulgarian goat bag swings + right hand KB rack walk to end of cul-de-sac + 10 goblet squats + left hand KB rack walk back from cul-de-sac.
Third round, single 35# KB, 10 Bulgarian goat bag swings + right hand farmer's walk to end of cul-de-sac + 10 goblet squats + left hand farmer's walk back from cul-de-sac.

--

Sunday 10/2/11: HG drills at my house.

Getting back into it, so took it easy.

Clubbell warm-up
Hammer drills with 10# sledge
WFD turns, with and without weight
Med ball throws - puts, back overhead, for height
Probably some other stuff I forgot.

Monday 10/3/11: Intervention OLY day.

TGU: soft rolls, hard rolls, TGU with 53# KB

SQUAT, HINGE, PUSH
Snatch: Worked up to 70kg x 1, 2 fails at 80kg (tired from previous two days, arms just weren't doing their part in the catch), did one more 70 x 1
Clean & Jerk: Worked up to 100kg x 1

PULL Pull-up top position iso holds: 3 sets of 5 seconds, did one before snatching, one between OLY lifts, one after C&J.

CARRY Single 48kg KB farmer's carry down & back gym, both sides (ran out of time and needed a quick carry)

--

Thursday 10/6/11: Intervention 5/3/1 "5" day pull-ups and standing press.

TGU: soft rolls, hard roll, get-up to elbow - half get-up - full get-up with 28kg KB (did not go back down, trying to avoid extra pressure on the knee as that flares the tendonitis)

A1 PULL TSC pull-up, chest-to-bar: BW x 4,5,6 reps...top position felt a lot stronger, probably from those top position iso holds I've been throwing in on other workouts
A2 PUSH (based on 175# actual max): 100# x 5, 120 x 5, 135 x 5...not going up next cycle unless I see the later workouts in this one come on a lot stronger

B1 HINGE: Double 32kg KB swings, 2 sets of 10
B2 SQUAT + CARRY: First round, 53# KB overhead squats x 5 reps right side, then down & back gym in waiter's carry, repeated on left side. Second round, 53# KB rack squats x 5 reps right side, then down & back gym in KB rack carry, repeated on left side. Third round, double 70# KBs farmer's carry down & back gym.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Re: Time for another Intervention.

Post by Mountebank » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:04 pm

Saturday 10/8/11: Front squat ladders. Garage gym.

TGU: soft rolls, hard rolls, 3 half-get-ups with 35# KB (it's all I have currently, just brought my 20kg comp bell back home from my office)

SQUAT: Front squat, 235# x 1,2,3,1,2,3
PUSH: Interspersed 4 or 5 sets of 10 push-ups, done fairly methodically and touching the ground with nose & torso each rep

HINGE + PULL: Power curls, 111# x 8reps x 3 sets. These are pretty fun.

CARRY: Short sprint accelerations, just a couple. After reading about Gary's knees doing better with some sprints, along with the fact I don't have great equipment for carries at my house, I've decided to just do some simple sprint stuff at my house to work out cobwebs and move like I haven't in a good while. Also, when the kids start really running, I'd like to still be able to show them that Daddy can move!

--

Sunday 10/9/11: Highland Games practice.

Threw some light hammer, LWFD, and WOB.

Just trying to get back into the groove (that I didn't really have before!) after something like a year or more since throwing. Things felt like crap basically. Also, did I mention what a clusterfuck these practices are? It's like the blind leading the blind. The older guys never seemed to study technique, so they're mostly weak and with horrible technique, and the young guys don't know anything either (but some of them are pretty strong or fat, both of which seem to help). I have to find a better approach than just throwing and hoping to get better along the way.

--

Monday 10/10/11: OLY lifting.

TGU: soft rolls, hard rolls, TGU with 28# KB.

HINGE + SQUAT + PUSH
Snatch: worked up to 4 singles at 165#, one single at 175# (88% 1RM), no misses
Clean&Jerk: worked up to 4 singles at 205#, one single at 225# (93% 1RM), no misses

PULL: Top of pull-up iso holds, 3 sets of 5 seconds, interspersed with OLY work.

CARRY: Farmer's carry with one 106# KB, down gym in right hand, back in left hand.

Knees are doing so much better. I must keep up on the basic inferior quad foam rolling and couch stretches so this doesn't flare up again.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:04 pm

What a week. I did a Groupon that three weeks later is still kicking my ass every day. Missed my Thursday workout because I gave a health presentation to city gov't workers, missed Friday's workout because I presented at a good-sized local fitness convention on adrenal fatigue-slash-hypoglycemia. It went awesome, I rode a high all night from that. I had never done a full two-hour-straight presentation before, I kicked the shit out of it, and I actually had to rush to finish. Oh yeah, my birthday was on Friday too...36 years old now.

So...

Saturday 10/15/11: Highland Games drills.

I'm going to try to do a half hour of drills most days of the week, early in the morning. Not enough to interfere with my other workouts, enough to get better at doing abnormal things like swinging hammers around. I feel like concentrating my competition focus on HG for a while will allow me to have fun with those (4 comps a year in AZ alone, with probably one Highlander event from now on) while still slowly reaching my lifting goals. Today was that half-hour of drills.

3 sets of 10 winds with the Ballistica, 11# loaded. These are hard and strange, although they felt 200% better by the third round.

Various puts and throws with my 10# dead medicine ball. Some throwing drills.

Some one-arm swings, trying to work on WOB mechanics.

Just basic stuff, no big deal. I enjoyed it. Tomorrow I'm hoping to go to the HG practice in the AM and then combine two lifting sessions (either hinge or squat, and a push/pull, probably all in a giant set) into one. Yeah, I'll be tired, but it's my birthday weekend and my wife owes me the time.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:07 pm

Sunday 10/16/11: Highland Games practice.

Hammer winds, sets of 7-10, both sizes
Lots of WFD throws, both sizes
Stone throws, both types, both sizes

It's coming back quickly, which is good. I'd guess I was close to PRs on some throws today.

I may be going to a mainly HG-centric training routine here soon, mainly because the grandparent babysitters will be leaving town for 3 weeks and unable to help...which will mean getting in a half-hour HG practice early in the morning will be a lot easier than a 1.5 hour lifting session later in the day.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Busy week, only one training session so far.

Monday 10/17/11: 5/3/1 "3" day, presses and pull-ups.

I've worked back in some prehab work to every workout, I apparently have to do this regularly to avoid the patellar tendonitis creeping back in.

TGU: soft rolls, hard roll, TGU with 28kg KB

Supersetted
PUSH: Standing press, 110# x 3, 125 x 3, 140 x 5
PULL: Pull-ups, thumbless, chest-to-bar: BW x 3, 3, 8, still working to catch up to my old numbers ever since I went from throat-to-bar and increased difficulty to chest-to-bar, I will be adding some weight to the "5/3/1" workout final set.

Supersetted
HINGE: Single KB swing, 5 reps per hand, 3 sets total, 40kg, 44kg, 48kg, grip is obviously my weak point in these, I want to keep them in to build strength for WOB
SQUAT: Walking lunges, 6 reps per leg, 2 sets, kept it easy and didn't do a full ROM squat to give my knees a break

WEIGHTED CARRY: Double 35# KBs, went for a long walk like this

Overhead down & back gym
Rack down & back gym
Farmer's down & back gym 2x
Above sequence repeated
Overhead down gym, racked back gym, farmer's down & back gym
(10 total trips down & back gym with KBs in various positions)

Scapular muscles were fried after that workout, particularly the carries.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:15 pm

Friday 10/21/11: OLY day.

TGU: soft rolls, hard rolls, TGU with 28kg each side.

HINGE + SQUAT + PUSH:
Snatch: worked up to 155# x 1, 160 x 1 x 3sets, 182 x 1 (no belt), that's 91% of my old belted max
C&J: worked up to 205 x 1 x 4, 227 x 1 (no belt), that's 94% of my old belted max

PULL: 3 sets of (5sec top position pull-up hold followed by 30sec bottom position pull-up hold with 106# KB attached), one set before snatching, one after snatching, and one after C&J

CARRY: 2x53# KBs, overhead down&back gym, racked down&back gym, farmer's down&back gym

I was pretty tired after this one.

--

Saturday 10/22/11: HG drill day.

Warmed up with CBs, sledge, and KB swings.

Rotated through stations of:
10# med ball throws, overhead, Braemar style, overhead back for distance, open style, overhead back for height
Ballistica winds with 11#
Spins with 20kg KB

--

Sunday 10/23/11: HG practice.

WFD, both weights
Stones, both weights and styles
Hammer winds both ways

I was toast after three training days straight. I left practice a bit early.

--

Monday 10/24/11: 5/3/1 "3" day for close grip bench and Pendlay rows.

TGU: soft rolls, hard rolls, TGU with 32kg KB

PUSH: Close grip bench, 140# x 3, 160 x 3, 180 x 8
PULL: Pendlay rows, 140# x 3, 160 x 3, 180 x 6

HINGE: Single leg SLDL, 32kg KB x 5 reps per leg

SQUAT: Single leg step-up (deeper than parallel)

Then the stoopidity happened. I finished my right leg step-ups, then decided to jump down from the box in my OLY shoes. The ball of my left foot really hurt after that...I could put weight on it, but it felt squishy and tender. I'm pretty sure I broke some capillaries in my foot. The "knuckles" of the sole of my foot, 2nd and 3rd toes, was swollen and actually partially bruised this morning. I did a laser treatment yesterday and it doesn't seem like any big deal, but it did cut my workout short yesterday.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:36 pm

Friday 10/28/11: Deadlift ladders.

Did this workout after work on Friday, was a bit rushed. At least my foot is totally back to normal. Damn if I don't love my lasers for fixing the little aches and pains that training inevitably creates.

TGU: soft rolls, hard rolls, TGU with 28kg

HINGE: Deadlift ladders, 315# x 1,2,3 , stopped after one rung because I didn't want to fry my aDductors (I haven't DL'd in a while) even though I could have done more

PUSH: 120sec. plank

SQUAT + CARRY + PULL:
2 separated rounds with single 35# KB of
5 overhead squats
down & back gym with KB overhead
5 racked squats
down & back gym with KB racked
5 chest-to-bar TSC pull-ups

I was pleased with the session.

--

Saturday 10/29/11: HG practice at home.

Rotated through some stations, but nothing fancy:
Hammer winds
Overhead squats, 4 sets of 8 with 50kg
Various throws with my 10# dead medicine ball
Power curls, 4 sets of 8 with 50kg
WFD spin drills

Ended with 3 rounds of:
Various throws
Sprint accelerations

Dang I love training outside.

--

Sunday 10/30/11: HG practice at the park.

Hammer winds. Threw the stones and lots of WFD. Tucson HGs coming up this next Sunday! Got a new guy I know to come to the practice and throw, he's an ex-HS throws coach and a local strength coach, so I hope he can shed some light on how I can improve my technique.

--

Tuesday 11/1/11: HG practice at home.

Missed my normal Monday training session. Over it. Decided to do a quick half hour throw practice at home.

Hammer winds
Various throws with 10# ball (my 20# iron shotput is in the mail, baby!)
WFD spin drills

My daughter loves chasing after the ball after I throw it. It's nice having her around...she's now started copying me with a single empty dumbell...lifting it from ground to overhead "clean and press" style, and saying stuff like "I'm essercising so I can be healthy and strong!".

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:12 pm

Been re-working my program. It looks like for the time being, 2 lifting sessions weekly will be the most I can manage, along with 2 HG practices on the weekend days, and hopefully with a short mid-week HG session too.

Here's my thought process based on the current goals. Feel free to make comments, it's still rough, but I like the way it sounds based on what I've been doing.

I'm quitting the OL. One day per week of it isn't enough, it just irritates my knees at that frequency, and I'd rather hit the 500# DL instead. I'll let the HG stuff address the "high-power" part of my training.

Still doing the "Intervention" setup, so each lifting workout will have variations on these "basic" movements: turkish get-up, hinge, squat, push, pull, weighted carry.
Goals:
  1. 500# deadlift (probably around 450# actual 1RM right now)
  2. Get better/stronger for HG (this means more practice mainly)
  3. Beast Challenge (48kg KB pistol, chin-up, press)
Lifting day 1:
TGU
Main lift: deadlift ladders
single leg step-ups
top position pull-up hold
KB press
weighted carry

Lifting day 2:
TGU
Main lift giant set:
front squat 5/3/1
weighted chins 5/3/1
standing press 5/3/1

Heavy KB high pulls
weighted carry

Throwing + lifting day:
overhead squats, multiple sets of 6-8
power curls, multiple sets of 6-8
various throws with 20# shotput
WFD
hammer winds
Bulgarian core blaster sets at end (basically very heavy KB swings done with ring handle)
sprint accelerations at end

Throwing day:
throws, including caber and WOB (since this is the only day I get to play with these)

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:17 am

This is the week of my Highland Games, coming up this Sunday.

Tuesday 11/1/11: HG practice at home.

Hammer winds
WFD spins with KBs
Puts and throws with 10# med ball

--

Saturday 11/5/11: HG practice at home.

Hammer winds
WFD spins with KBs
Puts and throws with 10# med ball

Tried to take it easy.

--

Sunday 11/6/11: Highland Games.

Pretty sure I set PRs in LWFD, both hammers, and open stone. Guess practice pays off. I really was toast by the second half of the day, yet pulled some PRs out of somewhere. It was a good day. Will post results when I get them. It was a big class, probably 16 guys, with a definite sandbagger dude in there mopping up with everyone.

Probably not training this week until the weekend HG practice stuff. Got my new goals: Hit all of the "C to B" numbers in this guide consistently by February 2012 (the Phoenix HG). More practice, plus getting stronger (particularly in the dynamic, thin handle grip necessary for these implements) should have me over these by then.
  • Braemar Stone 28' (I did 24-something)
  • Open Stone 32' (I hit 31-something this time from a static throw, like a Braemar)
  • Light Weight For Distance 44' (I did 41-something)
  • Heavy Weight For Distance 21' (my best is 20-something)
  • Light Scottish Hammer 79' (I did 73-something on a 6' PR this Games)
  • Heavy Scottish Hammer 63' (I did 54-something, got a ways to go on this one obviously!)
  • Weight Over Bar 11' (getting 10' is routine for me, nothing higher yet)

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:26 pm

It's now Wednesday 11/16/11. I haven't trained at all since the HG. My mom, aka the reliable babysitter, is back in town...so regular training should resume this week.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Meh. My numbers from the last HG were finally posted. Even with my PRs, this was the worst placing I've had yet (this was my fourth games). Time for more practice.

Place: 7/16
Braemar stone 25'-9" (25' 11" is PR)
Open stone 31'-3" (32' 8" is PR)
Heavy WFD 19'-7" (20' is PR, we started with this event which sucked IMO)
Light WFD 41'-3" (PR, breaks old one of 40'3")
Heavy hammer 54'-0" (PR, breaks old one of 53' 1")
Light hammer 73'-0" (PR, breaks old one of 68')

Caber 25 degrees (I hadn't practiced this in something like 2 years, the pick was killing me, barely got off one throw, 75 deg. is my PR with this same caber they call Malcolm)
WFH 10'-0" (same as last 2 times, tied PR)

I really fookin' hope I get to lift today. As of now, that's the plan.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:53 pm

Thursday 11/17/11: Deadlift ladders. First day back in something like two weeks (who's counting?).

TGU: soft rolls, hard rolls, TGU with 28kg per side

Hinge: Deadlift, 335# x 1,2,3 , last one was grindy but good

Squat: Single leg high step-ups, 3 per side, wow these were much harder than when I left
Pull: Top position pull-up hold: 1 x 5 sec.
Push: KB Press, 32kg x 3 per side
Weighted carry: Prowler, 130#, 3 sets of down&back gym on vertical handles, it's a rubber floor so very grippy, also did it in bare feet so too much pressure and I lost grip

Pretty good first day back, didn't want to push it too much, also was a bit pressed for time.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:32 pm

11/19/11: HG practice at my house.

Set up two "centers", with multiple stations at each. Moved through each station, not taking much rest.

Center 1, my driveway.
Overhead squats, 110# x 8reps x 3sets
Hammer winds, warmed up with 15# CB one arm, then 10# sledge one arm, then light hammer, then heavy hammer.
Power curls, 110# x 8reps x 3sets

Center 2, the throwing area, a short walk from my house
Alternated 2 throws each of the 20# shot and 56# WFD, three rounds

--

11/20/11: HG practice at the park.

Practiced stones, WFD, and hammer. Threw within a foot of my PR on light hammer and heavy WFD. Screwed around with some WOB at the end, but we didn't have the bar set up, so it didn't really mean much. The group just got two new cabers that are still being finished, one that is way too big, one that is slightly bigger than the C class one, still waiting on those to arrive at practice.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:51 pm

Monday 11/21/11: Figuring out back squats, press, and pull-up numbers.

Rolled out quads thoroughly with both Rumble Roller and regular hard black foam roller. Knees have not been very happy lately even though I haven't been squatting. I am stuck on the idea that it is a hydration issue, if I forget my water on the weekend and combine it with something dehydrating (like too many beers and a family-oriented video game "dance party") then they really start nagging at me. Anyway, doing laser on them today and catching up on the water.

Giant setted:
SQUAT: Back squats, worked up to 275# x 3, 295 x 3
PUSH: Clean to presses, worked up to 145# x 2
PULL: Pull-ups, no added weight, done TSC style with sternum to bar, 1,2,3,4,5,5

TGU (forgot to do first): soft rolls, hard rolls, TGU (1st "half" to standing) with 70# KB

Super setted, 2 total rounds:
CARRY: Prowler push, down&back 2x, vertical handles, only had 50# added
HINGE: One arm KB RKC/low swing, 48kg x 5reps per arm

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:12 pm

Re-working the program after more reading of Easy Strength. Loving the idea of 70% x 2reps x 5sets for most everything, while keeping the full Intervention setup and very loosely following the 40-day workout plan idea of doing the same thing each workout, but only lifting 2 days a week instead of 5 (leaving 2 or 3 days for throwing practice). So yeah, it's a mish-mash, but I really liked the first workout today.

MY GOAL IS TO STAY WITH THIS SETUP FOR SIX WEEKS SOLID. There, I said it. No competitions until the end of March, when the Phoenix HG happens.

--

Friday 11/25/11: Intervention hybrid, workout 1, week 1.

Rolled out quads thoroughly with both Rumble Roller and regular hard black foam roller. Going to concentrate my pre-hab on the pelvis and shoulders for a while.

TGU: soft rolls, hard rolls, TGU up only with a 32kg KB
ABZ 1: 5 ab wheel roll-outs from knees

A1 HINGE: Sumo DL, 315 x 2 x 5 (based on est. actual max of 450#)
A2 PUSH: Clean to presses, 120# x 2 x 5 (based on est. actual max of 170#)
A3 PULL: Pull-ups, no added weight, done TSC style with sternum to bar, 3reps x 5sets

2 total rounds:
B1 SQUAT: Single leg step-ups (no push, heel only touches ground), medium step, no weight added, 5reps x 2
B2 CARRY: Prowler push, down&back 2x, vertical handles, rubber floor, 90#

Thighs were very uncomfortably burning for a good 5 minutes after the second round. Yes, that was me lying on the ground and whining.

ABZ 2: 5 ab wheel roll-outs from knees

--

Primary goal now is to figure out how to work in my pre-hab to the early warm-up sets so that I can shrink down the time of this workout to maybe 75 minutes. I took my sweet time today, I cannot do that on a regular basis.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:22 pm

I'm considering moving my training log to my blog. If you are against this, convince me otherwise, because as far as I can tell no one is reading it here (or at least not commenting on it when I ask for feedback).