Nutribullet Thead: YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Nutribullet Thead: YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

http://www.nutribullet.com/

Works as advertised. Pulverizes everything and the shakes my wife's been making me have been good enough to finish. Easy clean-up and convenient containers. We had their older product, magicbullet.....this is a nice upgrade.

We had a 20% off coupon from Bed, Bath & Beyond so we only paid 80 bucks for it. The website I linked says it's $120, but BBB & Target sell it for $100.
Last edited by The Venerable Bogatir X on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Nutribullet

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Nice. I had been considering a Vitamix, but this looks like a nice 80/20 alternative that is a fraction of the price.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

I picked one up following Nappy's liereview. Works well, cleanup is easy. Handles leafy greens, most frozen fruits (haven't tried it on frozen strawberries-- probably won't), nuts, and seeds well. Recipe book that comes with it is pretty good as well-- especially with their concept to ramp up to more bitter greens. IMO size is a big plus-- this doesn't take up much space at all.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I think fruit and juice based smoothies are a super easy way to guzzle a ton of simple sugars, and most folks should avoid them if they have an issue with their weight.

On the other hand, zipping up green drinks you can toss back is an easier way to get veggies than acting them for some folks.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I realized I spoke hastily after I clicked the link

JamesonBushmill
Staff Sergeant

Post by JamesonBushmill »

i use lots of frozen stuff (strawberries, blueberries, spinach and kale) in my shakes. has anyone loaded this up with frozen stuff and the motor can handle it, or save for vitamix?
Females who wear heels emulate the gait patterns of wounded and/or compromised prey and thus inspire males to heights of predatorial chasse-a-tude. - Robb Wolf

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

The recommended set up is: greens, fruits, extras (with the extras closest to the blades).

Using the recommended set up, I found the following re frozen fruits and vegetables:
Blueberries-- no problems
Spinach-- gets a little jammed up and stuck at the top if you pack it tight, but chops through it just fine (fresh is not a problem, although I usually quickly chop the spinach to be able to get more in there)
Kale-- probably the same as the spinach
Other fruits-- no problem
Strawberries-- may be a problem, they may need to be partially thawed before using the bullet. The blades aren't particularly sharp

I've found that I can overpack mine (above the suggested max line) with the fruits and veggies-- as long as the water isn't over the max line I have no issues with leaking.
Last edited by Turdacious on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

I've seen the Vitamix demos at Costco 50x and that machine looked like an overpriced and oversized pain in the ass (some would say that about me, however).

No worries on frozen strawberries or other berries...it handles all of that and raw carrots, flax seeds and other seeds and raw nuts. Cored apples and pears, the root end of escarole and kale and it's all good. We have not yet tried broccoli or celery, but if it handles raw carrots, it should take down anything. It's predecessor did not 'liquefy' any of the above.

Another thing is there is no seperation: case in point was a shake was made for me the other day that I did not drink. I threw it in the fridge after it set out for close to two hours and it was a thick past of nasty. Later, I added about 2-3 ounces of grape juice to it, stirred with a spoon and it was perfect. Blender drinks or the old bullet there would be H2O separation fairly quickly, FWIW.

Longtime IGx'ers and/or all of you who know me in RL know I'm hardly a crunchy health buff, but I'm getting an extra 2-4 cups of veggies and 1-2 cups of fruit per day that I normally would not have eaten and it's relatively low calorie compared to getting a Sausage Mc Muffin at McD's or liverwurst on a bagel. My wife also throws in Hemp Protein we've had in the pantry as well and there is no question that my gut feels better overall, but above and beyond that, time will tell as it's only been two weeks.

Topic author
The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

One thing about the strawberries is the ones we have frozen were fresh picked by us and 'organic' in the sense they either came from our own garden and a local farm that does not use chemicals, either, so they're not tiny, but they're not the monsters you'll see in grocery stores sometimes.....the monster berries might take extra time to break down, but it will break them down, you might have to mix those first and then add the other stuff.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Nappy based on your recommendation I'm having the wife pick up one today at Target. I'm down with all this and have always been meaning to try it but you hit it on the head about that one from CostCo...it looked like a pain in the ass to fuck with so I never pulled the tigger on it. I'm looking forward to using this one.

Pardon me if I mentioned this before not quite the same topic but close...I am getting older. A few months ago I was over at my son's house and he had some beet juice he'd juiced with some juicer he's had for awhile. I took maybe four chugs of it. Didn't taste bad to me...a little "earthy" perhaps. I believe beet juice is high in nitrous oxide among other things. Anyway fast forward to the next day at work and I have to drop a duece. I'm in there taking care of my business and doing my paper work and uhh, the water is red...I'm all like, FUCK I'M BLEEDING SERIOUSLY FROM MY ASSHOLE! Looks like I better beat feet to the doctor. Then I got to thinking about that beet juice and I called my son and he said oh yeah, meant to tell you, don't freak out but your shit will be a little red/purplish. Whew.

Topic author
The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

LOL about the beets and back to Costco, they sell some awesome beets in a large mason jar for 5 bucks....not raw, but pickled and they will do the same and my first reaction was the same as yours.

Y'all will like the Nutribullet.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

The wife just picked it from Bed, Bath, and Beyond...80 bucks. I washed everything up and will make something for us in the morning. Bought a bunch of stuff to grind up. I think I'm gonna throw in a couple of AAA batteries just to see what will happen.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Heh. I've been telling friends for years that if I had advance notice of a whiz quiz I'd eat about three cans of beets the night before.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

You fuckers have got me wanting a damn Nutribullet now.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Ed Zachary wrote:You fuckers have got me wanting a damn Nutribullet now.
I went to the website and thought it was interesting but did nothing with it. Now every time I go to Drudge and a bunch of other sites, there is an advertisement on top for the Nutribullet and I want one. Advertising works.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Shapecharge wrote:The wife just picked it from Bed, Bath, and Beyond...80 bucks. I washed everything up and will make something for us in the morning. Bought a bunch of stuff to grind up. I think I'm gonna throw in a couple of AAA batteries just to see what will happen.
Will it blend?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xvJe2CzCPg[/youtube]
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Went through several blenders and mixers before I picked up a high end one (from the company that used to OEM for Vitamix). It tears through everything that I dream up of tossing in it, including the plastic lid which was an accident, both times. Clean up is easy and it gets used more than any other appliance in the home.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Nappy it was a hit! I just threw some shit together...some raw seeds/nuts, whole oats, two scoops of protein, half a banana, fresh spinach and romaine and some blueberries and blackberries. The wife was skeptical but it was drink this shit or forced sodomy so she drank it and was pleasantly surprised. I am convinced though that you can choke down anything with blueberries/blackberries added to it. I know Prontoburger can't handle it but for the rest of us normal types you can't go wrong with adding more raw veggies to you diet. Very easy clean up.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

OK, I googled it. Six-hundred watts of awesome...are you guys blowing circuit breakers? Causing grid failures?

Seriously, the greens don't cause it to taste like total crap-ola? I like veggies, but some of the recipes look a little crazy on the website. Didn't see any with sawdust or concrete chips on the list.

What happens if you throw in a turkey carcass with bones. Insta-soup?

Are the blades really sharp? How long before they get dull, and does it make a difference? I guess I could sharpen them back up.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

The blades aren't sharp, neither you or rugrats washing dishes will have to worry about cutting their fingers. You'll probably end up adjusting the recipes to taste. With their greens focused recipes, nothing is going to taste great, but you can adjust them so they're tolerable. I've taken to adding unsweetened cocoa and cinnamon to mine.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

what's wrong with the regular old magic bullet?

I blend frozen bananas and nuts in mine every day without problem
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

protobuilder wrote:what's wrong with the regular old magic bullet?

It has trouble with blueberries.

Topic author
The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

protobuilder wrote:what's wrong with the regular old magic bullet?

But no drinks with say, carrots or whole, cored apples, ect.....

The magicbullet could not literally liquefy pretty much everything into a smooth and palatable concoction....this does and does it in a heartbeat. Our magicbullet got over a year of near daily use but there is no comparison as this thing doesn't blend, it really does turn everything into a bonafide shake vs. bits and pieces and even small chunks of ingredients floating around. Clean-up is just as easy, too and the containers that come with it are better.
Last edited by The Venerable Bogatir X on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Shapecharge wrote: I am convinced though that you can choke down anything with blueberries/blackberries added to it.
Remember those large cans of Sacramento Tomato Juice that our moms bought when we were kids? Well they still sell that stuff and I had a can in the pantry, so we did try one shake that had that as the base in lieu of water, along with, greens, flax seeds, hemp protein, carrot, cukes, whole tomato, avocado and while it was certainly good enough to drink, it was our least favorite, supporting your comment about the need for at least a little something sweet in these mixes.

Now you got me thinking I need to try all of the above with vodka, tabasco, A1 steak sauce and a can of clams thrown-in for the ultimate hangover cure.