SPEC-OPS Headgear

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

SPEC-OPS Headgear

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

One of my kids got me this for Christmas a couple of years ago. It's like an open ended stretchy tube sock that you can use in about 10 different ways. Like so many gifts from kids, I looked at it and thought "what a useless fucking thing", before thanking him.

Turns out I was wrong. I've never used it in the summer but it's now my essential cold and/or windy weather headgear. When outside and exerting yourself and a heavy hat is too much and a cap is too little, this is just right...or it's a scarf...or a balaclava with or without a hat. Extremely taktikal when shoveling the driveway. Probably good for hunting or robbing banks and such as well.

SPEC-OPS
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Re: SPEC-OPS Headgear

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan »

Thanks for the review. Will come in handy on my Tac-Fit missions at the local playground.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

I have one of the MOUT rigs and the Rat Pack organized. Not bad stuff.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

I got one waaaay back in the day from Brigade Quartermaster, when it was called the "SAS Headover." I second the recommendation: stretchy polypro, very warm, useable as watchcap/neck gaiter/balaclava depending on how nasty it gets.

I now have two. Probably one of the best cold-weather purchases I ever made for the RI/MA winters, and still handy in NC.
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I could use one of those.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Norman U. Senchbau wrote:Thanks for the review. Will come in handy on my Tac-Fit missions at the local playground.
Lemme guess, you drive a van that says 'free candy' on the side.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan »

The Unflushable DEATHTURD wrote:
Norman U. Senchbau wrote:Thanks for the review. Will come in handy on my Tac-Fit missions at the local playground.
Lemme guess, you drive a van that says 'free candy' on the side.
I call it the Baddad Airlift.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

I just picture things like this happening
Attachments
jew.jpg
jew.jpg (75.63 KiB) Viewed 14189 times
jew.jpg
jew.jpg (75.63 KiB) Viewed 14188 times
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Standard issue back in the day. Very usefull and since we rearely ever wore any of the polypro (even in sub freezing weather) we were issued, the only peice of cold weather gear I ever used on a consistant basis.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:One of my kids got me this for Christmas a couple of years ago. It's like an open ended stretchy tube sock that you can use in about 10 different ways. Like so many gifts from kids, I looked at it and thought "what a useless fucking thing", before thanking him.

Turns out I was wrong. I've never used it in the summer but it's now my essential cold and/or windy weather headgear. When outside and exerting yourself and a heavy hat is too much and a cap is too little, this is just right...or it's a scarf...or a balaclava with or without a hat. Extremely taktikal when shoveling the driveway. Probably good for hunting or robbing banks and such as well.

SPEC-OPS
Thanks for the recommendation. This thing rules.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Just a bump for those who don't have this. REI sells something similar called The Buff. Obnoxious tactical branding aside, this is super awesome cold weather gear. I get pissed when I misplace it and it's cold out.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Batboy2/75 wrote: Very usefull and since we rearely ever wore any of the polypro (even in sub freezing weather) we were issued, the only peice of cold weather gear I ever used on a consistant basis.
Yep
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Batboy2/75 wrote:Standard issue back in the day. Very usefull and since we rearely ever wore any of the polypro (even in sub freezing weather) we were issued, the only peice of cold weather gear I ever used on a consistant basis.
Why did you not use the polypro? Shit is awesome. Was it because of the risk of the shit catching fire and burning to your skin or were you all just too goddamn hard to care?

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

DARTH wrote:
Batboy2/75 wrote:Standard issue back in the day. Very usefull and since we rearely ever wore any of the polypro (even in sub freezing weather) we were issued, the only peice of cold weather gear I ever used on a consistant basis.
Why did you not use the polypro? Shit is awesome. Was it because of the risk of the shit catching fire and burning to your skin or were you all just too goddamn hard to care?

Because when your carrying in excess of 100 lbs of gear and covering long distances you'll over heat in even freezing weather. Making sure newbies didn't cook their brain via heat stoke was a constant battle.

It had to get seriously cold for word to take the polypro to come out. I preferred my army issue wool sweater to polypro. Particularly, since being out in the field during winter in WA state meant being wet.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Grandpa's Spells wrote:Just a bump for those who don't have this. REI sells something similar called The Buff. Obnoxious tactical branding aside, this is super awesome cold weather gear. I get pissed when I misplace it and it's cold out.
Annual bump, given we had some 0/-15 wind chills near the lake. Wore the Buff (Merino wool) around the neck and face, SOH around the ears, and was pretty comfortable. If you don't have either, and it's cold where you are, then you are dumb.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:Just a bump for those who don't have this. REI sells something similar called The Buff. Obnoxious tactical branding aside, this is super awesome cold weather gear. I get pissed when I misplace it and it's cold out.
Annual bump, given we had some 0/-15 wind chills near the lake. Wore the Buff (Merino wool) around the neck and face, SOH around the ears, and was pretty comfortable. If you don't have either, and it's cold where you are, then you are dumb.

I have both a British army and a civie version and they are great. On the head it's great as you don't overheat but when moving but stay wamr when resting, face for the wind or scarf to keep the neck and chest warm.

Great gear.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

The importance of covering your face in cold weather is under appreciated.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
The Buff has held up better long term, and is a bit warmer and more comfortable, but we've had both for like 6 years. Scarves are stupid once you have one.

Boris

Post by Boris »

My wife bought me one of these years ago. Agreed - one of the best gifts I've ever gotten and it makes shoveling, walking the dog, etc. in the winter a thousand times more bearable.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I have a bunch of buffs and knock offs. The merino wool one is awesome in cold weather, the others aren't bad either

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Bought a Arc´teryx (Spelling?) one in merino wool 2 years ago.Always keep it in my pocket from early october just in cas.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Bobby wrote:Bought a Arc´teryx (Spelling?) one in merino wool 2 years ago.Always keep it in my pocket from early october just in cas.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnZkl8Pv5ck[/youtube]