Punch The Clock - Now With IF and Barefoot Training

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Abandoned by Wolves

Re: Punch The Clock - Now With IF!

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:56 am

OK, let's try this again.

Took the Network+ test and missed passing it by some miniscule amount. Fuck.

But I can't keep putting off the rest of my life until I pass it. So I'll buy some network simulation software and put some flashcards up on Anki on the stuff I know I bobbled (there was a bunch of bullshit about AWG and ArcNet and Linux commands and whatnot). I might enroll in a CCNA course at my local community college - I'm sure if I can pass CCNT, I can pass Network+.

So, back at it.

I've been walking and playing around with clubbell mobility stuff and some resistance bands and a little chi kung.

Sunday April 21st: 75 minute walk outside with my wife.

Monday night: 20 minutes Maxwell and Xing Yi mobility, 20 minutes of light swinging and mobility with a pair of 3 lb Clubbells, and 3 set of CC level 3 (yes, from the knees) pushups. Sonnon had a nice arm mobility routine from the Core Cadre days, so I did that, plus "Xtension".

Carnitas tacos for dinner (I cooked a diced up 3 lb pork shoulder in water, garlic cumin, bay leaves, ancho chiles, and onions in a Dutch oven on simmer, and made pulled pork for the week. Took some of the pulled pork Monday night and heated in in an iron skillet with oil, cumin, chili powder, onions and pinto beans, served in corn tortillas with avocado, sour cream, salsa, lime juice and home made "Garlic/Chipotle Love")

Tuesday, April 23rd: Maxwell KB Conditioning, Session 1:
With a 1 pood kettlebell:
3 sets of 2 arm swings, 20 reps
30 seconds one arm swings, each arm
30 seconds one cleans high pull each arm (approx. 12 each)
15 second one arm high pull each arm (approx. 15 each)
15 seconds snatches each arm
3 set of 2 arm swings, 20 reps each set.
Waited until breathing returned to approximately normal between sets and between exercises

Definitely have improved the original problem with SI/hip and swings - not even a twinge. It took me 10 years, but I can finally do swings.

Sam the Cooking Guy's Buffalo Chicken pizza: melted some butter in a sauce pan, stirred in some Frank's Hot Sauce. Added 3 cups of shredded roasted chicken from a deli rotisserie chicken. Took a Bobli pizza crust, spread 1/2 cup of Ken's Blue Cheese salad dressing on it, topped it with the chicken, topped that with shredded mozarrella, baked at 425 for 13 minutes, topped with chopped green onions. Served a carrot/pineapple salad on the side.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Xian
Sarge

Post by Xian » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:46 am

Too bad about the test. But not putting life on hold is probably a good call :)
Definitely have improved the original problem with SI/hip and swings - not even a twinge. It took me 10 years, but I can finally do swings.
Cool. Can you point to any specific drills or approaches that have helped you get to this point?
There is a vast difference between treating effects and adjusting the causes.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:16 pm

A lot of walking, and a lot of work using proper walking form to relearn good body mechanics and alignment (once I knew what they were, how it felt when I was doing them, and how to apply them). See the book "Walk Yourself Well", which is the best treatment I know of the subject. But don't go to the author's seminars - they are insanely expensive.

Also, a lot of time messing around with hip mobility on the ground - shin boxes, tactical frogs, "windshield wipers" and that sort of thing. And the Jumpstretch lower body routine with a resistance band helped too.

Had Thursday off, took a 90 minute walk with my wife in the afternoon, sort of an urban hike/exploration thing. Great time, but sunburned my scalp.

Friday April 26th: Took my mini-clubbells and my 1 pood kettlebell to a local park. Did the Xtension routine and some clubbell based mobility things for 20 minutes, then did the "Strength" workout from "The Ageless Body":

-Deadliftsx10/Pushupsx10 for 3 sets.
-Suitcase deadlifts L&R supersetted with Farmers walks L&R (picked a spot 30 or so yards away, walked with the kettlebell in my left hand, carried it back with my right hand). 3 sets
-One handed OH presses L&R supersetted with Parked kettlebell rows.
-Goblet squatsx8
-Single Leg Deadlifts L&R supersetted with Waiter's carries L&R

That was enough - I was starting to "redline" on the last couple waiter's walks.
15 minute walk around the park to "normalize".

Saturday April 27th: 90 minute walk on the Wabash Trace trail.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:54 pm

Sunday April 28th: Bought one of the Maxwell Clubbell downloads and worked out with and practiced some of the usual drills I do afterwards. My left rear deltoid and the medial upper head of the tricep respond very nicely to this stuff, even better than with the resistance bands.

Made smoothies with an avocodo and blueberries for lunch, and simmered some pulled pork in BBQ sauce, toasted a couple of loaves of French bread, spread mayo on the split loaves, topped with coleslaw...made one of the best sandwiches I've ever had. Fuck, cooking is fun when you do it right.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed May 01, 2013 12:05 am

Monday April 29th:

Revisted the Ageless body "strength" routine with a couple tweaks. I like the fact that this has most of the tenets of DJ's "The Warmup Is The Workout/If It's important, Do It Every Day" tenets from his previous DVD, but it leaves some important stuff out...so I put it back in.

-Mobility Warmup, mostly based on Xing Yi Nei Gong, 20 minutes
-Deadliftsx10/Planksx30 seconds for 3 sets.
-Suitcase deadlifts L&R supersetted with Farmers walks L&R (picked a spot 30 or so yards away, walked with the kettlebell in my left hand, carried it back with my right hand). 3 sets
-One handed OH presses L&R supersetted with Parked kettlebell rows for 2 sets.
-Two Hand Swingsx15/Goblet Squatsx8/Pushupsx10 2 supersets (this is DJ's version of "The Humane Burpee" that covers a lot of ground.)
-Single Leg Deadlifts L&R supersetted with Waiter's carries L&R for 2 sets.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Thu May 02, 2013 9:18 pm

70 Minute walk with my wife. Interestingly, my hamstrings were quite fatigued and lagged significantly when going up hills, especially the 6 block hill on the final leg of our walk out to our goal.

Kind of amusing - thunderstorms were threatening the entire length of the walk, and picked up even more so on the return leg. There were lightning flashes nearby several times...my wife has a phobia about lightning and thunderstorms, and she kept speeding up significantly every few minutes and leaving my tired, aching ass yards behind because I had a hard time walking any faster. Then she'd sort of come back to herself and let me catch up.

I could easily envision a scenario where she bolted home and left me to come limping in minutes later. Or you know, get dragged down by wolves and eaten.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun May 05, 2013 10:35 pm

Saturday May 4:

Played around with clubbells for about 40 minutes with the drills from the Maxwell download - 2 lbers, 3 lb mini-bells. Finished off with pushups and a little stretching. Most of the day was tied up with family stuff (college graduation for a couple of the nephews), so I felt pretty virtuous.

Sunday May 5th:

Still working on building up a walking base, but I'm pretty happy with my progress. Walked with my wife from our house to downtown Omaha and back,50 minutes out and 50 minutes back.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri May 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Sunday, May 5th:

30 minutes Clubbell circuits from Sonnon's materials, plus some pushups. Neck/trap is bothering me, so worked in some resistance band stuff for the upper body also.
Playing around with 5-8 minutes of Reverse TGU with a light clubbell. Pleasantly tiring.
Hour walk.

Monday May 6th:

Chronic neck thing is still in effect, so kept it light:
Birdball strength circuit from "The Ageless Body":
Deadlifts/planks superset,
Suitcase DL/Farmer's walk supersets,
Maxercist OH press/Parked kettlebell row superset
Swings/GOblet Squat/Pushups superset
SLDL/Waiter's carry superset.

Tuesday May 7th:
Walk in the evening, 50 minutes out and 50 minutes back, some mild stretching and mobillity stuff afterward.

Thursday May 9th:
Clubbell mobility and TGUs,35 minutes

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat May 11, 2013 10:28 pm

My wife brought home a 5 month old Border Collie mix from the Humane Society last night, so I guess I'll be getting LOTS of walking in. Like today - 75 minutes on the Big Papio Trail on a section I haven't been on before. Dog held up well, except for not knowing what to make of the cyclists passing us by. This is definitely going to be my wife's dog, but he's well mannered and earnest and affectionate (and of course a little anxious!) , so I think it will work out.

Did some stretching and mobility stuff with bands and clubbells in the afternoon. Been reviewing Ed Thomas' Indian Clubbell DVD - guy looks well preserved and dignified, but he has zero camera presence. That's OK, though, neither do I.

Didn't eat until 11:30 (almost by accident), so it looks like I am back on the IF bandwagon. Finally got the hang of pan frying burgers and have been on a burger kick - made ground chicken mixed with thyme and grated onion, melted mozzarella slices and served on toasted rolls spread with a pesto and mayo mix. Unusual, but tasty.

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Mon May 13, 2013 4:04 am

I might be one of those cyclists. Most of my riding is in the mornings though. Sometimes I meet a group for early rides from Stinson Park.
"All you have to do is decide that wherever you are is the best place there is. Once you start comparing one place to another, there's no end to it."- Sodo Yokoyama

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri May 17, 2013 8:45 pm

Stinson Park is a nice little set up. You might see me waving a clubbell or two or doing some DJ "Warm Up Is the Workout" stuff there in the evenings this summer.

Although it still pisses me off a bit that Omaha traded the Aksarben horse track for another shopping/business park/yuppie apartments development. The city seems to gradually losing any distinctive features - it looks more like Phoenix every year.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri May 17, 2013 8:56 pm

Sunday May 13th: Spent 3 hours walking through the city Sunday afternoon with my wife and the "dag". Started out as a walk from our house to the Farmer's market at Stinson Park and just sort of progressed from there.

Monday May 14th: A little flagged from all that fresh air, Did some Maxwell clubbell stuff to warm up, then one round of the Ageless Body birdball circuit as described above.
Tuesday May 15th: Didn't feel like doing anything, so I fooled around with a network simulator program and reviewed flash cards on Anki.
Wednesday: 70 minute walk with the dag, finished with some resistance band stuff for the lower body.
Thursday: Xing Yi Nei Gong/Maxwell mobility hybrid for about 20 minutes followed by Ageless Body strength routine, 2 sets of everything, using 2 36 lb birdballs for the carries. I really like the way the SlDL with a weight make the outer hips on the working leg work like hell.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun May 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Friday May 17th: Walked the dog for 75 minutes. I was originally worried about pushing his 6 month old puppy frame too hard, but the little bastard is usually out there in front of me at the limit of the leash (once he gets some sniffing and bathroom breaks out of the way in the first 10 minutes).

15 minutes Resistance band lower body routine.

Saturday, May 18th: Day trip with my wife, got back too late to do anything constructive. Made some green chili cheeseburgers with swiss and red onion slices and tomato jam, every one was happy.

Sunday May 19th: Dog chewed through his leash on the trip, so I tied the two gnawed ends together and walked him down to the PetsMart to get another one (and some treats). Took 2 1/2 hours, because it was a warm and sunny, and several times the dog just flopped down on the grass in a shady spot and looked at me and said "Screw this, I'm taking a break." That's OK - I was out in the fresh air and on my feet and away from the TV and the computer.
Last edited by Abandoned by Wolves on Wed May 22, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed May 22, 2013 2:33 am

Monday May 20: Dragging a bit, got about 6 hours of sleep, then had to fill in at the Service Desk all day.

30 minutes of mobility, foam rolling, some clubbell waving. Training was cut short when I accidentally bopped the puppy with a backswing. Yes, I had the door closed, but he apparently pushed it open and came up behind me to see what the hell I was doing. I felt a "thunk", said "Oh shit" and turned around just in time to see the little guy go whinging back out the door. It turns out the cartoons get it exactly right.

I felt about two inches tall.

Turns out no real damage was done, and he'll still let me pet and walk him.

Tried a make chicken mole enchiladas, turned out a little dry (next time thin out the sauce a little more).

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed May 22, 2013 6:44 pm

Tuesday May 23rd:

35 minutes of general mobility stuff just before bed; mostly Maxwell's downloadable "Universal Health And Wellness" mobility routine.

Tried making tuna steaks with a wasabi paste/soy sauce/lemon juice/mayo sauce, wrapped in parchment paper and baked at 400 F for 15 minutes. (Would have been 10-12, but they were still partially frozen). Served with french bread, brown rice, and berries macerated in OJ/brown sugar topped with yogurt for dessert. This worked fine, more than made up for the mediocre meal yesterday.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri May 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Wednesday May 22nd: Leisurely 90 minute walk with the dog. Got a call from my wife on the way home, "the puppy has detonated, come get him out of my hair while I clean up". Done.

Sitting all day at the Service Desk really saps my energy, so this was well timed. Can't wait to get back to my regular assignment.

Thursday May 24th: Invited out for dinner with wife's friends. Nice people but being the fifth wheel and not being allowed to finish a sentence left me in a funk, so workout turned out to be 10:00 pm and pretty light: some Indian Club stuff, some resistance band upper body stuff, and a few sets of pushups.

They paid for dinner, though, and it was a pretty decent blackened cod/red beans and rice thing, so the evening wasn't a total loss.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Thu May 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday: long leisurely walks with the dog, and one "Ageless Body" circuit on Friday night.

Tuesday May 28th: Finally passed the doggoned "Network+ certification test on Tuesday morning.

Minimum passing score: 720 out of 900 (80%), I got 789 (88%). So it was a bit of a squeaker, but a pass is a pass. The poor bastard in the testing room with me was there when I got there, and was still there when I left 90 minutes later. Probably doing MSCE or CCNA or something equally nasty.

Indulged myself Tuesday pm and Wednesday with 1 1/2 leisurely days of vacation, a couple big fancy meals, a few glasses of wine at night, and watching a big backlog of movies and DVDs that I'd bought (usually for $3-$5 at Walmart or Target or Big Lots) but never had time to watch. "Best" movie: Prometheus. Most "fun" movie: MST3K coverage of "Danger!! Death Ray".

Getting back on track tonight with some clubbells and resistance band stuff.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri May 31, 2013 7:42 pm

Thursday May 30th: Got home late between one thing and another. Made a Ramen and Brats based version of "Shanghai Noodles". Went out front with my 2 lb Indian clubs and practiced the various drills I've been learning for about 30 minutes, did a few rounds of "Bliss Qigong" and called it good.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Friday May 31: Wanted to treat my wife to a nice meal to make up a little for the lost time studying and what have you. Walked to the grocery store to make sure I got some exercise and got some Roma tomatoes and garlic. Walked home, seeded the tomatoes and roasted them and the garlic with oil and salt in the oven at 350 F for 45 minutes, cooked some ziti and some breakfast sausages, tossed them together with some pesto from Costco and some shaved Parmesan cheese, served with some butter lettuce and a "Garlic chipotle Love" based salad dressing on the side and some garlic bread straight from my local grocery store and hey Presto! (or pesto) - something that a local bistro would have charged $19 a plate for.

This meant that I didn't work out until about 10:00 pm. Broke out the Indian Clubs and practiced various drills for 30 minutes until I was pleasantly tired, then did some of the ground stuff from Maxwell's "Universal Mobility and Wellness".

Abandoned by Wolves

Re: Punch The Clock - Now With IF and Barefoot Training

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:26 am

My attempts to go barefoot last year were cut short by a savagely hot June - going outside to train and going down to Norris Jr. High's football field to walk on well tended grass suddenly seemed stupid. Also, my feet often ended up bleeding from various cuts in spite of my attempts to build up carefully and gradually on the "nice, soft grass".

But I picked up another book on the subject ("Barefoot Walking") and liked the authors' progressions and approach (even if I didn't care for the entitled New Age granola eating hippie vibe) and decided to put them into practice.

The most important thing difference: instead of staying on grass, I went on concrete sidewalks after the first day. This seemed counterintuitive, but the authors insist that doing it on concrete and asphalt force you to assume a "lighter"and more sensitive step...AND it toughens your soles and feet faster.

It took a lot of mental persuasion to overcome my fears and step onto the sidewalk barefoot on Day 3...(Tuesday), but it panned out. The 2 block walk wasn't especially pleasant, but it wasn't intolerable. And my baby soft feet weren't ripped to shreds. Upside to walking on a sidewalk is you can see potential hazards in front of you - nothing is hidden in the long blades of grass to ambush you ( I picked up a nasty metal sliver in what I thought would be "safe" grassy area on the side of a hill in a cemetery once). So steering clear of foreign objects is easy and 2 sessions later I am up to 8 blocks and have no bleeding gashes to report.

There are some stretches and mobility and strengthening drills for the feet specifically (and the rest of the body to help with alignment etc) but the authors think that just walking barefoot and gradually building up to 30 minutes over the first 3 months is the best bet. Also interesting is that they argue that the drills should be done AFTER the walking, so the feet aren't tired when you start out.

This is exciting. I don't think I've walked 8 blocks barefoot on concrete, well, EVER (I remember being quite prissy on the subject even back as a 9 year old). If I can get this particular deficiency addressed, I may well be on my way to being as good as "normal" by the time I die.

I walked the dog for 90 minutes or so a couple time this week, and Tuesday I did the Indian clubs and the Ageless Body circuit and my 1st barefoot walk (see above). Felt like hammered crap all day Wednesday (5 hours sleep on top of training will do that) and most of today.
Thursday night: repeat of Tuesday, well, 2/3rd of it.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:14 am

Spent the time since the last post walking, playing around with Indian Clubs, doing some real pushups etc, and learning the "resistance stretching" exercises on the latest Ki-Hara "Dara Torres" compilation.

June 26th:
I need something scalable, repeatable, convenient and "life preserving" to keep my health up as I continue to get older and spend more and more time looking at simulator screens and stuff like that.

I may have it, thanks to Dan John.

I think a slightly tweaked version of his "Lifetime Warrior Workouts" will meet my needs for the next few years. In the T-mag version of this article, he talks about how unilateral works seem to have a calming effect which helps him sleep better, and works the devil out of the core.

Here's how I think I will work it, based on tonight's attempt.

Make dinner (roasted a pork tenderloin and some curly fries on a baking sheet in the over and served with a broccoli salad and "pepper ketchup"). Did dishes and cleanup.

Walked 16 minutes barefoot on the concrete sidewalks in the neighborhood. (So far, so good with this. Still have some uncomfortable minutes, but that is to be expected). Would have taken the dog, but he was rough housing with the boxer from next door in our backyard, so he was happy and occupied.

Sat with my wife on the front steps and watched the fireflies for a while. When she went in, broke out the Indian Clubs and did about 15 minutes of various drills to warm up and keep the shoulders supple and pumped.

Then did the "right side" of DJ's suggested "symmetrical" program with a 36 lb kettlebell:

Waiter's Carry (30 yards) x 4
Suitcase Carry (30 yards) x 4
One Arm Clean and Press: 6-8-8-6
Suitcase Deadlift 3x8
Windmills 2x5

Tomorrow I will do the same routine with the other hand, and Saturday will be an "integrated" day with pushups, goblet squats, two arm swings, bridges, pullups, etc. And I will do a "resistance band" based warmup instead of Indian Clubs.

As I get hardened and tempered, I will add One arm Bench Presses, TGUs and Kettlebell Arm Bars to the one-sided days, and maybe some Single Leg Deadlifts, etc.

Nice part about this scheme is that I can basically also do it with dumbbells, and so the program may be quite scalable as time goes by.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:27 am

OK, I'm back after a brief absence. Blame work and life balance. (IE, there is no such thing).

Mostly I plan to keep up a variation of what I was doing, but I will use Dan John's "Kettlebell Chaos" (latest issue of Men's Health, March 2014) as my basis, along with some of pushup/pull progressions from Furman's "Armour Of War". Maxwell is a great systematizer, but some of the drills in his routines are still beyond me. I am playing around with his "crawl like a baby" ideas.

Today:

Agile 11 (+3) warmup.
15 Minutes of TGUs with a 20 lb kettlebell.

30 minute walk downtown from my gym and back.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:14 am

Welcome back, ABW.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:27 am

How`s the dog? still getting those long walks in?
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:37 pm

Nice to see you breathing.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America