Death and the Marathon

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Death and the Marathon

Post by WildGorillaMan »

A tradition dating back to 490 BC.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... rofen.html
Sam Harper Brighouse, 23, fell ill around 16 miles into the Brighton Marathon in East Sussex on April 14.
The biology graduate of Forest Hill, south-east London, embarked on the 26-mile running challenge to raise money for the Arms Around The Child charity which supports Aids orphans.
Brighton and Hove Coroner Veronica Hamilton-Deeley ruled that Mr Harper Brighouse died of bowel ischaemia and a gastro-intestinal haemorrhage.
Cause of death was contributed to by an "idiosyncratic reaction" to hyperthermia, dehydration, endurance exertion, hyperosmolar sports supplements and ibuprofen, she said.
He took two or four ibuprofen tablets during the race as well as the sports supplements, the inquest heard.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

SAR

Re: Death and the Marathon

Post by SAR »

This is obviously sad. But I'm surprised there aren't more deaths during amateur sporting events. All have their risks. But the risks and negatives of an inactive lifestyle are worse

I would be interested in seeing complete post mortem results. It's actually pretty rare for people to die in marathons

macmad
Gunny

Post by macmad »

two deaths at this years Perth city to Surf 12km fun run.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/br ... ond-death/

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

SAR wrote:This is obviously sad. But I'm surprised there aren't more deaths during amateur sporting events. All have their risks. But the risks and negatives of an inactive lifestyle are worse

I would be interested in seeing complete post mortem results. It's actually pretty rare for people to die in marathons
I'm amazed that airports aren't full of dead people as middle aged fatties who just spent several hours cooped up in an airless tube frantically sprint through the concourse towards another airless tube. Seems like a recipe for a heart attack but I've never seen in happen.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Topic author
WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

macmad wrote:two deaths at this years Perth city to Surf 12km fun run.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/br ... ond-death/

Sharks?
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

vern

Post by vern »

Yeah, between the couch and a marathon maybe there should be a bit of training happening.
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
SAR wrote:This is obviously sad. But I'm surprised there aren't more deaths during amateur sporting events. All have their risks. But the risks and negatives of an inactive lifestyle are worse

I'm amazed that airports aren't full of dead people as middle aged fatties who just spent several hours cooped up in an airless tube frantically sprint through the concourse towards another airless tube. Seems like a recipe for a heart attack but I've never seen in happen.
My father passed away of a heart attack in the Roanoke Airport after getting off a flight from NY. Thanks for the memories.
Tantum validus superstes

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

WildGorillaMan wrote:A tradition dating back to 490 BC.

Sam Harper Brighouse, 23, fell ill around 16 miles into the Brighton Marathon in East Sussex on April 14.
The biology graduate of Forest Hill, south-east London, embarked on the 26-mile running challenge to raise money for the Arms Around The Child charity which supports Aids orphans.
Brighton and Hove Coroner Veronica Hamilton-Deeley ruled that Mr Harper Brighouse died of bowel ischaemia and a gastro-intestinal haemorrhage.
Cause of death was contributed to by an "idiosyncratic reaction" to hyperthermia, dehydration, endurance exertion, hyperosmolar sports supplements and ibuprofen, she said.
He took two or four ibuprofen tablets during the race as well as the sports supplements, the inquest heard.
Dehydration a factor?

Over-hydration seems to be a major killer for the out of shape folks. They don't run fast enough to sweat, but partake of every aid station along the route.
Don’t believe everything you think.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Cave Canem wrote:
DrDonkeyLove wrote:

My father passed away of a heart attack in the Roanoke Airport after getting off a flight from NY. Thanks for the memories.

I'm sorry about your dad but truly wonder if a large group of deceased people are the end result of our airlines poor service. Based on no data whatsoever, I believe it to be so.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

kreator

Post by kreator »

nafod wrote:
WildGorillaMan wrote:A tradition dating back to 490 BC.

Dehydration a factor?

Over-hydration seems to be a major killer for the out of shape folks. They don't run fast enough to sweat, but partake of every aid station along the route.
It's the NSAIDs most often. They will really kill you if you don't know how to use them. When I do ultramarathons I only will use it after 12 hours or so only if I have excrucitating muscle pain, and that's only because I know my stomach is able to handle it.

A couple months ago I had a sore neck from sleeping on a bus, and I took an aspirin before I did a routine 90 min run. I almost never do that, but later that night I was writhing in pain from an upset stomach.

When you combine the NSAIDs with the stomach in a disadvantageous state (dehydrated or overhydrated), then it can cause some serious stuff.
Last edited by kreator on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

I hope I don't die before I finish.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Pain management is performance enhancement in big endurance and big strength bias sports. Ibuprofen has a good short term role, but there are so many other, better options.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

There was a death in a very short fitness test in South Africa about a week ago.

These deaths are tragic for the deceased and their family's, but are statistically
insignificant.

Lots of runners. Very, very few deaths in races or fitness tests.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

What does 'hyperosmolar sports supplements' mean? It says that taking gels could be dangerous so I assume they are meaning them or perhaps some kind of electrolyte tablet?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Terry B. wrote:What does 'hyperosmolar sports supplements' mean? It says that taking gels could be dangerous so I assume they are meaning them or perhaps some kind of electrolyte tablet?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know.

Tim Noakes has a hard on against companies like Gatorade.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Bob Wildes wrote:
Terry B. wrote:What does 'hyperosmolar sports supplements' mean? It says that taking gels could be dangerous so I assume they are meaning them or perhaps some kind of electrolyte tablet?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know.

Tim Noakes has a hard on against companies like Gatorade.
No, from the original article.

If Noakes says something, I accept it as being a fairly good version of truth.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.