Death and the Marathon

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Post Reply
User avatar
WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9951
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Death and the Marathon

Post by WildGorillaMan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:22 pm

A tradition dating back to 490 BC.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... rofen.html
Sam Harper Brighouse, 23, fell ill around 16 miles into the Brighton Marathon in East Sussex on April 14.
The biology graduate of Forest Hill, south-east London, embarked on the 26-mile running challenge to raise money for the Arms Around The Child charity which supports Aids orphans.
Brighton and Hove Coroner Veronica Hamilton-Deeley ruled that Mr Harper Brighouse died of bowel ischaemia and a gastro-intestinal haemorrhage.
Cause of death was contributed to by an "idiosyncratic reaction" to hyperthermia, dehydration, endurance exertion, hyperosmolar sports supplements and ibuprofen, she said.
He took two or four ibuprofen tablets during the race as well as the sports supplements, the inquest heard.
Image
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

User avatar
SAR
Top
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:51 pm

Re: Death and the Marathon

Post by SAR » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:42 pm

This is obviously sad. But I'm surprised there aren't more deaths during amateur sporting events. All have their risks. But the risks and negatives of an inactive lifestyle are worse

I would be interested in seeing complete post mortem results. It's actually pretty rare for people to die in marathons

User avatar
macmad
Gunny
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:50 am
Location: Perth
Contact:

Re: Death and the Marathon

Post by macmad » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:17 am

two deaths at this years Perth city to Surf 12km fun run.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/br ... ond-death/

User avatar
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8034
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:04 am
Location: Deep in a well

Re: Death and the Marathon

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:47 am

SAR wrote:This is obviously sad. But I'm surprised there aren't more deaths during amateur sporting events. All have their risks. But the risks and negatives of an inactive lifestyle are worse

I would be interested in seeing complete post mortem results. It's actually pretty rare for people to die in marathons
I'm amazed that airports aren't full of dead people as middle aged fatties who just spent several hours cooped up in an airless tube frantically sprint through the concourse towards another airless tube. Seems like a recipe for a heart attack but I've never seen in happen.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

User avatar
WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9951
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: Death and the Marathon

Post by WildGorillaMan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:00 am

macmad wrote:two deaths at this years Perth city to Surf 12km fun run.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/br ... ond-death/

Sharks?
Image
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

User avatar
vern
Top
Posts: 2241
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:08 am
Location: Down in the cane brake, close by the mill

Re: Death and the Marathon

Post by vern » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:40 am

Yeah, between the couch and a marathon maybe there should be a bit of training happening.
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

User avatar
Cave Canem
Top
Posts: 1371
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:24 pm
Location: Somebody's dog house somewhere.

Re: Death and the Marathon

Post by Cave Canem » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:30 am

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
SAR wrote:This is obviously sad. But I'm surprised there aren't more deaths during amateur sporting events. All have their risks. But the risks and negatives of an inactive lifestyle are worse

I would be interested in seeing complete post mortem results. It's actually pretty rare for people to die in marathons
I'm amazed that airports aren't full of dead people as middle aged fatties who just spent several hours cooped up in an airless tube frantically sprint through the concourse towards another airless tube. Seems like a recipe for a heart attack but I've never seen in happen.
My father passed away of a heart attack in the Roanoke Airport after getting off a flight from NY. Thanks for the memories.
Tantum validus superstes

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 11421
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: Death and the Marathon

Post by nafod » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:41 pm

WildGorillaMan wrote:A tradition dating back to 490 BC.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... rofen.html
Sam Harper Brighouse, 23, fell ill around 16 miles into the Brighton Marathon in East Sussex on April 14.
The biology graduate of Forest Hill, south-east London, embarked on the 26-mile running challenge to raise money for the Arms Around The Child charity which supports Aids orphans.
Brighton and Hove Coroner Veronica Hamilton-Deeley ruled that Mr Harper Brighouse died of bowel ischaemia and a gastro-intestinal haemorrhage.
Cause of death was contributed to by an "idiosyncratic reaction" to hyperthermia, dehydration, endurance exertion, hyperosmolar sports supplements and ibuprofen, she said.
He took two or four ibuprofen tablets during the race as well as the sports supplements, the inquest heard.
Dehydration a factor?

Over-hydration seems to be a major killer for the out of shape folks. They don't run fast enough to sweat, but partake of every aid station along the route.
Don’t believe everything you think.

User avatar
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8034
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:04 am
Location: Deep in a well

Re: Death and the Marathon

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:01 pm

Cave Canem wrote:
DrDonkeyLove wrote:
SAR wrote:This is obviously sad. But I'm surprised there aren't more deaths during amateur sporting events. All have their risks. But the risks and negatives of an inactive lifestyle are worse

I would be interested in seeing complete post mortem results. It's actually pretty rare for people to die in marathons
I'm amazed that airports aren't full of dead people as middle aged fatties who just spent several hours cooped up in an airless tube frantically sprint through the concourse towards another airless tube. Seems like a recipe for a heart attack but I've never seen in happen.
My father passed away of a heart attack in the Roanoke Airport after getting off a flight from NY. Thanks for the memories.

I'm sorry about your dad but truly wonder if a large group of deceased people are the end result of our airlines poor service. Based on no data whatsoever, I believe it to be so.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

User avatar
kreator
Top
Posts: 1274
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:52 am

Re: Death and the Marathon

Post by kreator » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:22 am

nafod wrote:
WildGorillaMan wrote:A tradition dating back to 490 BC.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... rofen.html
Sam Harper Brighouse, 23, fell ill around 16 miles into the Brighton Marathon in East Sussex on April 14.
The biology graduate of Forest Hill, south-east London, embarked on the 26-mile running challenge to raise money for the Arms Around The Child charity which supports Aids orphans.
Brighton and Hove Coroner Veronica Hamilton-Deeley ruled that Mr Harper Brighouse died of bowel ischaemia and a gastro-intestinal haemorrhage.
Cause of death was contributed to by an "idiosyncratic reaction" to hyperthermia, dehydration, endurance exertion, hyperosmolar sports supplements and ibuprofen, she said.
He took two or four ibuprofen tablets during the race as well as the sports supplements, the inquest heard.
Dehydration a factor?

Over-hydration seems to be a major killer for the out of shape folks. They don't run fast enough to sweat, but partake of every aid station along the route.
It's the NSAIDs most often. They will really kill you if you don't know how to use them. When I do ultramarathons I only will use it after 12 hours or so only if I have excrucitating muscle pain, and that's only because I know my stomach is able to handle it.

A couple months ago I had a sore neck from sleeping on a bus, and I took an aspirin before I did a routine 90 min run. I almost never do that, but later that night I was writhing in pain from an upset stomach.

When you combine the NSAIDs with the stomach in a disadvantageous state (dehydrated or overhydrated), then it can cause some serious stuff.
Last edited by kreator on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 14137
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:32 am
Location: GAWD'S Country
Contact:

Re: Death and the Marathon

Post by Holland Oates » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:05 am

I hope I don't die before I finish.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19089
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Death and the Marathon

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:27 am

Pain management is performance enhancement in big endurance and big strength bias sports. Ibuprofen has a good short term role, but there are so many other, better options.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

User avatar
Bob Wildes
Top
Posts: 1819
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Heart Of Darkness

Re: Death and the Marathon

Post by Bob Wildes » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:01 pm

There was a death in a very short fitness test in South Africa about a week ago.

These deaths are tragic for the deceased and their family's, but are statistically
insignificant.

Lots of runners. Very, very few deaths in races or fitness tests.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

User avatar
Bob Wildes
Top
Posts: 1819
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Heart Of Darkness

Re: Death and the Marathon

Post by Bob Wildes » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:02 pm

"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5025
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:51 am

Re: Death and the Marathon

Post by Protobuilder » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:57 am

What does 'hyperosmolar sports supplements' mean? It says that taking gels could be dangerous so I assume they are meaning them or perhaps some kind of electrolyte tablet?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

User avatar
Bob Wildes
Top
Posts: 1819
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Heart Of Darkness

Re: Death and the Marathon

Post by Bob Wildes » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:55 am

Terry B. wrote:What does 'hyperosmolar sports supplements' mean? It says that taking gels could be dangerous so I assume they are meaning them or perhaps some kind of electrolyte tablet?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know.

Tim Noakes has a hard on against companies like Gatorade.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5025
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:51 am

Re: Death and the Marathon

Post by Protobuilder » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:36 pm

Bob Wildes wrote:
Terry B. wrote:What does 'hyperosmolar sports supplements' mean? It says that taking gels could be dangerous so I assume they are meaning them or perhaps some kind of electrolyte tablet?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know.

Tim Noakes has a hard on against companies like Gatorade.
No, from the original article.

If Noakes says something, I accept it as being a fairly good version of truth.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Post Reply