<<<WICKEDARELEVELEDRIGHTEOUSAREFREE>>>

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

the fearless freep
Gunny

Re: <<<WICKEDARELEVELEDRIGHTEOUSAREFREE>>>

Post by the fearless freep » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:03 pm

Fat Cat,

A little late, and I don't wish to reopen the associated emotions for you, but I just want to express my condolences to you and your Missus.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:02 pm

Thanks, Freep.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:03 pm

2012.09.29PM; 6 mile hike and played around with the Big 5 (i.e., rolling, nodding, rocking, crawling, cross-crawling) from Original Strength. Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:29 pm

2013.09.30PM; jiu-jitsu…an hour of drilling for starters. The first half was devoted to throws: de-ashi-barai, hiza-guruma, and hiza-guruma to ura-nage; the second half was defending open guard against the X-pass and toreando. Followed up with three six minute rounds, all from the standup. I hit a nice te-guruma and a so-so sumi-gaeshi, but my breathing was still pretty poor. This cold has left me stuffed up a week after the other symptoms have faded.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:48 am

2013.10.01PM; been foundering, so I am going to take up Dan John's “even easier” challenge and try for 40 workouts...

1. Two Hand Kettlebell Swing 1 x 20 (36 lbs.)
1. Press 3 x 3 (135 lbs.)
2. Dead Lift 3 x 3 (225, 250, 275 lbs.)
3. Strict Barbell Curl 3 x 10 (65 lbs.)
4. Bent Row 3 x 10 (100 lbs.)

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:04 pm

2013.10.02PM; jiu-jitsu…rolled for an hour with a physically game white belt, always letting him dictate the start of the match and then slowly back him into a corner. Nearly all finishes were cross-lapel chokes and armbars from mount, but I know I did submit him a couple times from side control with americanas and paper cutters.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:03 pm

Also, I have been playing around with the Original Strength "Big 5" routine...gotta say, as much as I disliked the hyperbole and general organization of that book, the actual exercises themselves are quite good. The neck nodding in the baby pushup position has done good things for my neck, and the segmental rolling is really helping my shoulder.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:15 pm

2013.10.04PM; jiu-jitsu…taught the Friday self-defense class, focusing on working against a knife. Now that most of the people I work with know the basic mechanics of the defenses and counters, I am teaching them how to read a grip and prepare themselves. Just by looking at the way someone is holding a weapon, you can gain a sense of how they intend to use it. So now, once the basic mechanics are in place, I expect people to read my attacks and be ready without warning, at speed, and also how to follow through when things go better or worse than expected.

Finished up with some light sparring against an experienced brown belt, then called it a night.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:24 pm

2013.10.05AM & PM; jiu-jitsu…took my son for a couple of hours of jiu-jitsu with the keiki, focusing on maintaining the mount. My son actually got into it and was doing well with the other boys, which was nice to see. We finished with some sparring and then I took him for sushi. After lunch I got out the weights and did this (Easy Strength Workout 2/40):

1. Press 5 x 2 (140 lbs.)
2. Dead Lift x 4, 3, 2, 1 (225, 250, 275, 300 lbs.)
3. Strict Barbell Curl 3 x 10 (70 lbs.)

While we were out our new toys arrived courtesy of Cold Steel; I got us each a medieval waster and buckler so we spent part of the afternoon working on our sword and buckler technique like proper gentlemen. Mostly we are following the I.33 manuscript. Post workout nutrition was gnocchi with lobster ragu, crostini with cepes, veal, and a modest Bordeaux.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:05 pm

2013.10.06PM; an hour of sword and buckler fencing with my son, then two hours of trimming plants, pulling weeds, and raking. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:59 pm

2013.10.08PM; jiu-jitsu...some light rolling and then an hour drilling sweeps from reverse De La Riva. I wasn't feeling very sharp after traveling all day and night yesterday for work.

Aloha!

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Fat Cat wrote:While we were out our new toys arrived courtesy of Cold Steel; I got us each a medieval waster and buckler so we spent part of the afternoon working on our sword and buckler technique like proper gentlemen. Mostly we are following the I.33 manuscript.
That has got to be a blast, especially for the kid. My brother and I would get those over-sized foam cutlasses when we were kids, and duel until we broke them. This usually resulted in swords becoming flails.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:44 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:While we were out our new toys arrived courtesy of Cold Steel; I got us each a medieval waster and buckler so we spent part of the afternoon working on our sword and buckler technique like proper gentlemen. Mostly we are following the I.33 manuscript.
That has got to be a blast, especially for the kid. My brother and I would get those over-sized foam cutlasses when we were kids, and duel until we broke them. This usually resulted in swords becoming flails.
=D> =D> =D> =D> to you all!

Nerf Swords gets them into it without damaging them or hurting too much (but enough to lay some ground work for SuckittheFu-Up Jutsu)

Then one day they come to you and want to take Fencing

And then sticks and then the real thing, just very controlled and safety minded.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:35 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Thanks Spells, we are having a good time. I will get other weapons in time, but this was a starting point. A gentleman should now how to box, wrestle, and wield a sword, among other things. Here are the products we are using:

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/92BKS/ ... ER%29.aspx

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/92BKPB ... CKLER.aspx

He gets a big kick out of it; the sword is a bit big for his six year old hand so I may purchase these until he grows into a bigger training weapon:

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/92BKGM ... AINER.aspx

That and an evening watching Gladiator ought to do the trick. Last Sunday we watched The Highlander and he was all over that.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:00 pm

2013.10.09PM; Easy Strength Workout 3/40. Was exhausted today from too much work, so kept this very light.

1. Press 2 x 5 (120, 120 lbs.)
2. Dead Lift 2 x 5 (225, 255 lbs.)

Finished up with a half an hour of sword and buckler fencing with my son.

Aloha!

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:50 pm

I.33 is a great resource man. Glad to see someone else enjoying an old sword treatise.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:16 pm

Dunn wrote:I.33 is a great resource man. Glad to see someone else enjoying an old sword treatise.
Have you seen this?

http://illuminatedfightbook.co.uk/

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:51 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Dunn wrote:I.33 is a great resource man. Glad to see someone else enjoying an old sword treatise.
Have you seen this?

http://illuminatedfightbook.co.uk/
Nope. That's awesome. I have ratty binder copy. Might end up getting this for myself. Thanks man.

You ever read Fabris' stuff on rapier work?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:18 pm

I believe that I have reviewed an online copy a long time ago, but not in any depth. Perhaps in due time. I would say that I am more interested in the use of the saber.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:56 pm

2013.10.10PM; jiu-jitsu…an hour of no-gi submission gribble-grabble with a very moderate opponent. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:56 pm

2013.10.11PM; taught the self-defense jiu-jitsu class. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:59 pm

2013.10.12AM; my son came down with a bug so no jiu-jitsu for us. He chilled on the couch and watched cartoons, I did this (4/40).

1. Two Hand Kettlebell Swing 1 x 25 (36 lbs.)
1. Press 3 x 3 (140 lbs.)
2. Dead Lift 3 x 3 (225, 255, 285 lbs.)

Aloha!
Last edited by Fat Cat on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:02 pm

2013.10.13AM; 6 miles hiking and half an hour of sword and buckler fencing with my son. Aloha!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:32 pm

Fat Cat wrote:2013.10.13AM; 6 miles hiking and half an hour of sword and buckler fencing with my son. Aloha!
Sounds fun!
"Penetrating so many secrets, we cease to believe in the unknowable. But there its sits nevertheless, calmly licking its chops." - H.L. Mencken

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:27 pm

Your log is full of clarity and purpose. It's refreshing to read. All my best to you and your family Mak.