throwlolol

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: throwlolol

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:Wednesday, 10/9

drillin' and illin'

Field was wet as hell, and footing was treacherous. note to self, turning drills on wet grass = olol

wound up doing a bunch of putting drills, finished with about 10 throws from the power position and 10 wfh

Like what I see here.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:16 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Like what I see here.[/quote]

Gracias. Now I just need to do it about 2/3x more often, get some implements, and find another pair of eyes. Oh, and gain about 50 lbs. would be good too.

Thursday, 10/10

total shit session. felt tired and weak and uncoordinated, and my hip was not cooperating. got through everything except squats, which just felt supremely unstable in the bottom, even with only 95 on the bar.

rumble roller

Bench:
45 x 10
75 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 5
115 x 3
125 x 2
135 x 2/2/2/1/1/
bleh

Power Clean:
45 x 5
65 x 3
105 x 2/2/2/2/1
feh

A) Push Press:
105 x 2/2/2/2/2

B) Pullup
BW + 10 3/3/3/3/3
suprisingly OK.

BW 162. moar food

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:14 pm

Wife had her (hopefully) final surgery on Weds. Which is great, and hopefully things can go back to normal after she recovers. But for now, she's recovering, which means training schedule will be fucked beyond all recognition for at least the next week, possibly up to a month. I'll do what I can, which will probably mean throwing where possible, and maybe some kettlebell shit at home after the baby goes to sleep.

Also, there's some kind of skateboard/bmx thing between my office an the Bart station. Lots of skatebros around Not gonna lie bros i was scared for my life

CrapSammich
Staff Sergeant

Post by CrapSammich » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:47 pm

Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:Wife had her (hopefully) final surgery on Weds. Which is great, and hopefully things can go back to normal after she recovers. But for now, she's recovering,
Fingers crossed. Lots of friends have been going through this recently--has worked out well in the end, but exhausting and nerve-wracking for all.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:32 pm

Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:Wife had her (hopefully) final surgery on Weds. Which is great, and hopefully things can go back to normal after she recovers. But for now, she's recovering, which means training schedule will be fucked beyond all recognition for at least the next week, possibly up to a month. I'll do what I can, which will probably mean throwing where possible, and maybe some kettlebell shit at home after the baby goes to sleep.

Also, there's some kind of skateboard/bmx thing between my office an the Bart station. Lots of skatebros around Not gonna lie bros i was scared for my life

Stay safe....never know when they might swarm.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:56 pm

thanks, CS. And BD: troof. I walked in fear, never knowing when some 130 lb. savage, hopped up on Mountain Dew, was going to put his deck through my face.

Monday, 10/14

kettlebollox
I like KBs as a training tool; I do not like having to use them as the entirety of my workout

Tuesday, 10/15

wfd
one turn x 15
Focus was on soft legs/staying low. This is getting better. Not good, or even mediocre, but better.
full throw x fucking shitshow
I need to find some coaching on this. I'm just all over the fucking place when I try to do too many spinnies

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:11 pm

Wednesday, 10/16

drills x a bunch
braemar x 10
glide x lulz
Braemar is getting better. I feel like I throw it farther when I stop worrying and let it go rather than "OH NOES TURN TEH FEETS EYES TO TEH SKIES". Glide, much like two-turn wfd yesterday, was a mess. I'm not only not getting it right, I don't know why I'm not getting it right. Need another pair of eyes.

wfh x 10
some were OK, some were shitty. For the shitty throws, I'm tossing it too far behind me. I'm assuming that, with practice, I'll get better at timing the release and that will improve.

I need to find a field with better drainage. Even at 11 am on a sunny, warm day, the turf is soggy and finding my footing is hard.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:01 pm

Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:Wednesday, 10/16

drills x a bunch
braemar x 10
glide x lulz
Braemar is getting better. I feel like I throw it farther when I stop worrying and let it go rather than "OH NOES TURN TEH FEETS EYES TO TEH SKIES". Glide, much like two-turn wfd yesterday, was a mess. I'm not only not getting it right, I don't know why I'm not getting it right. Need another pair of eyes.

wfh x 10
some were OK, some were shitty. For the shitty throws, I'm tossing it too far behind me. I'm assuming that, with practice, I'll get better at timing the release and that will improve.

I need to find a field with better drainage. Even at 11 am on a sunny, warm day, the turf is soggy and finding my footing is hard.

Flip Video..even if you never post it anywhere... is valuable. You will see things no one else does. WFH is trixy....calm down and slow down...don;t think about hitting the power position, think about sinking into it.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:14 pm

yesterday, some cattleballs. I renew my objection. I can make myself good and tired but it doesn't feel like strempf work and I've never gotten any magic wth! effect. Eh, it's probably not a bad idea for me to take some time away from the gym but I have a hard time staying focused with this shit.

Friday, 10/18

BART is on strike, so I'm "working" from home. My rule for telecommuting is that I get to take the time I would have spent on the train and go do something fun.

wfd today
No turn x 15
I don't know if this has a name, or really even a purpose. It was just the first cast in front, then in back, then try to push hard through the hips and throw. Even if it was voodoo, it seemed to help on
One turn x 10
some were actually kinda decent. When I stayed low and blocked the left side, the weight actually went somewhere.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:31 pm

it has a name, i think. push drill or sumpin.

pick up the Contrarian Guide to Highland Games training. Get both the book and DVD. Fantastic resource not just for throwing.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
pick up the Contrarian Guide to Highland Games training. Get both the book and DVD. Fantastic resource not just for throwing.
Those are definitely on the Christmas list. That and a ballistica. Not sure I can convince the wife to go all in for implements but the ballistica sure seems like it would beat chucking a KB around...

On a different note: Someone tell me what to do. Due to various owies and life stuff I haven't been doing any serious bb training for a while. When I was actually lifting I was jumping around programs faster than Rant. Not because I was hoping for the secret sauce (this is just what I'm looking for!!!) but because I was trying to make something fit.

I was hoping to get into the gym 2x week, throw 2-3x depending on how much sleep I'm getting. Gym any more than that would mean either cutting back on throwing days or marital problems.

Was leaning towards something 531-ish, sq/bp one day, dl/pr the other, because I like the setup and working for the rep maxes keeps me from getting bored, but I'm willing to take other suggestions...

yes I realize that I'm overthinking, overthinking is what you do when you're not actually strong

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:04 pm

Monday, 11/4

foam roll
a bunch of BW box squats, playing with foot width

SQ:
45 x 5 x 3
95 x 3
105 x 3
120 x 3
135 x 5
115 x 5 x 5
Playing with a wider stance to see if that can get my hips more involved. Squat remains considerably weaker than it was before I hurt my back, and obviously much weaker than I would like it to be, but for now I'm able to take a humble approach and appreciate what I have. That won't last forever.

PR:
45 x 5 x 2
65 x 3
75 x 3
85 x 3

Push Press:
95 x 7

Press:
75 x 5 x 3

Pullups:
BW + 10# 19 reps total

throws tomorrow if all goes well

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Tuesday, 11/5

6 AM

some jogging and waiter walks to get warmed up

25#

Braemar drills:
arm strike x 5
bent knees x 5
hip twists x 5
Braemar x 10

o stone drills:
hip falls x 10
A drills x 10 shaky, balance is crap
full glide x 5 crap crap crap crap crap

WFH x 10 not terrible

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:16 pm

Thursday, 11/7

rumble roller

Bench:
45 x 10
75 x 5
95 x 3
110 x 3
120 x 7
135 x 3
145 x 1
95 x 8 x 3

DB Row:
75 x 39 total reps

DL:
135 x 3
185 x 3
235 x 2 x 8
255 x 1
275 x 1

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:54 pm

bitch bitch bitch

Friday, 11/8

whine whine whine

25#, not enough sleep, field was wet, my back felt tender

Did a couple of push drills and one turns on wfd. Couldn't turn on, so I did some footwork drills, went home and went back to bed.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:44 pm

Saturday, 11/9

back on the horse after yesterday's shitshow

25#

wfd
push drills x 5
1 turn x 10
2 turn x 10
by my standards, 2 turns were a rousing success, in that I kept my feet in the trig, the pud went in roughly the right direction, and I only fell down once. That's actually progress.

stone
arm strike x 5
bent knees x 5
hip twist x 5
braemar x 10
glide footwork drills x a bunch
as I noted elsewhere, I did a rough-and-ready estimation of my best braemar as about 17 ft. So I have a starting point.

looking forward, it looks like the first games around here start in early April. There's one down in LA in mid February, but with a toddler and a wife who works weekends, that might be too hard to schedule.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:52 pm

That is progress. :)

If you can, videotape yourself. It makes a big difference in learning to feel what is right and what is wrong. And if you can't figure it out yourself, share it with someone else. I think videotaping is what drove my progress the most. I throw alone a lot so I coach myself via recorder.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:55 am

Thanks Syaigh. Yeah, I'm trying to think of ways to prop my phone up so I can record some stuff. I've seen some of the bros in the gym use little tripods to record their 65 lb. c&j; might get me one of those.

Saturday, 11/11

25#

wfd:
push drill x 5
one turn x 10
two turn x 10
Two turn is starting to come together. I wouldn't call it good, but I can do it.

stone:
braemar x 5
glide footwork x a bunch
glide x 10
Glide is still pretty lulzy (and we won't talk about my attempts at MSA) but with practice it's improving slowly.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:25 pm

Thursday, 11/14

Schedule is a bit up in the air this week, but I managed to get a quick one in. May have time for the same tomorrow, or possibly even a little gym work depending on how things go.

wfd:
push drills x 5
one turn x 20
I think I was probably rushing to the 2-turn overly fast, seeing as how I'm not at all consistent on the 1-turn yet...probably best to keep it simple at this point, own the 1-turn and then move on. I also managed to get some video on my cellphone, I'll try to upload that later

"sprints"
~50m x 5

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:36 am

for you to poop on

things I've noticed:
1) I thought I was using more hips in the cast
2) I thought my turns were a lot faster
3) I thought I was blocking a lot harder

edit: I can't get the fucking thing to embed

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:55 pm

Not bad, your rhythm is good and you're right about your hips. The thing that was a little odd to me was that you aren't facing the field when you throw. Its okay to stand sideways, but you want to be pointed in the direction you are throwing. Its also good to film these from the back of the trig, its easier to see how you are moving. But, overall, not bad at all.

PM BD, he'll have some good input as well.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:38 pm

Better than a lot of people at this stage.

Easy fix to say, hard fix to do.

SLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWDOOOOWN. You really need to think of what your upper body is doing and your lower boduy as seperate things.

Cast is fine, I'd like to see you sink to the low point (weight off your right hip, if throwing area is at 12, the weight is at lowest point at 6)

then, as you cast the weight up...wait. and then wait.....then keep waiting. then when the weight gets to about 1 o'clock, switch your feet. This part for you is actually going well. try to improve on that, feet low to ground, left foot landing at same time as right foot.

then....you'll be waiting again as that weight drops back down to 6'oclock...stay looooong. as the weight gets tto six Push it forward and up, gently...it's not a big pull, you're pushing the weight in time with your feet and hips pivoting into the the release. Think gentle push , not big pull.

This is working well with a pud. a longer weight is going to make this a lot more dynamic and fun.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:15 am

Thank you both very much for the advice.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Friday, 11/15

stone
arm strike x 5
knees down x 5
hip twist x 5
braemar x 10
glide x 5
Glide 'twas better, but still not good. I can sorta hit the positions, but not with enough stability to throw far. I'm gonna see if I can score a powerball or a softball or something to work the throw without the weight of the 25.

wfh x 10

Got video of this too, I'll upload it when I can.

Monday, 11/18

rumble roller

hang clean:
45 x 3
65 x 3
75 x 3
85 x 3

squat:
45 x 5 x 2
95 x 3
105 x 3
120 x 3
135 x 7
115 x 5 x 5

press:
45 x 5 x 2
65 x 3
75 x 3
85 x 3

push press:
95 x 7

press:
75 x 5 x3

pullup:
BW + 10, 21 total reps

Schedule is likely to be wonky this week. My wife's going back to work after 9 months on medical leave, so everything's going to be up in the air until we can establish a new routine. I'll do what I can, when I can.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:52 pm

Thursday, 11/21

this fucking week

power clean:
45 x 5 x 2
65 x 3
75 x 3
85 x 3
95 x 8
105 x 3