Kenny's Krazy Kettlebells (and Brazilian jiu Jitsu, too!)

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Kenny's Krazy Kettlebells (and Brazilian jiu Jitsu, too!

Post by Dunn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:59 am

I did not gas out at all on the mat. No anxiety either.
This is big. Great job bro.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:45 am

Dunn wrote:
I did not gas out at all on the mat. No anxiety either.
This is big. Great job bro.

Thank you! You know that I've had trouble with these things in the past. Especially the anxiety. Fuck me it's been bad sometimes... Slightest thing will set it off.

Getting in better shape has helped me, obviously my heart not beating out of my chest has helped, once I got used to not really feeling it LOL, but also- I've been breathing through my nose on my walks, and during my KB stuff, like Blaidd mentioned a while ago. Breathing naturally but through my nose. That's been a huge help during the KB training, and I did that tonight on the mat when I could remember. Get stuck under a guy? Breath deep into your belly, exhale naturally, repeat, while attacking his weakest point.

That helped. A lot.
WildGorillaMan wrote:$4000 bicycle. $300 shoes. $400 spandex.

35% bodyfat.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:02 pm

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:Get stuck under a guy? Breath deep into your belly, exhale naturally, repeat, while attacking his weakest point.
Been listening to the Smiths again?

Kidding aside, that was a big step up for my judo game: when I realized that whatever happened, I wasn't going to die, that I'd been there before, and that if I stayed calm I could work it out.

And that was usually when I got tossed for an ippon. fucking judo

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:49 am

Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:
Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:Get stuck under a guy? Breath deep into your belly, exhale naturally, repeat, while attacking his weakest point.
Been listening to the Smiths again?

Kidding aside, that was a big step up for my judo game: when I realized that whatever happened, I wasn't going to die, that I'd been there before, and that if I stayed calm I could work it out.

And that was usually when I got tossed for an ippon. fucking judo
Actually Bud, I do listen to them, Bauhaus, and the Murder City Devils before training BJJ. I find that I am more apt to go in full on spaz if I go in on hardcore or punk or Oi! ... I go in calmer on slower, more thoughtful or darker music.

With the KB's it's pretty-much always Bad Religion, or Agnosoc Front, stuff like that.

And thanks for stopping in, too! And you're 100% right, once you get over the "holy shit I'm gonna die," things get A WHOLE LOT better.

Monday's KB Pyramid ended up being the presses, to 8 and then back down with the 20.

Then it was swings with jogging between, 11 sets of 11.

Tonight's Jiu Jitsu

Drilled stand up guard pulling. Awesome.

I then rolled with Coach J, and my work in my base paid off. He said that I felt impossible to sweep. That was huge, for me. I was also able to use my Fundamentals to escape a lot of the stuff he used on me, got out of a mounted triangle attempt as well as an arm-bar attempt, he said the pass I got on him was good, and it ended up being a really fun roll. He got me with a berimbolo, with about 30 seconds left, and I was able to get my back on the mat but he kind-of whipped around and nailed a textbook arm-bar on me. I had no idea what happened after I tapped LOL ... He gave me lots of positive feedback and help like he always does, and it reinforced how much I enjoy training with these guys.

I no longer stagger, or crawl back to the wall. After rolls I can get up, walk around comfortably, feeling fine. I didn't gas-out at all tonight, and Professor noticed that I'm using less-strength.

I am accomplishing the objectives, the KB's are paying massive dividends, and tonight I actually felt like a real Jiu Jitsu player. I'm stoked.

I weighed in at 202 this morning.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:19 am

WEDNESDAY'S KB's

Swings! 24kg x 8 x 15, jogging between sets
Time: 9:15

TONIGHT's JIU JITSU

God damn it I love Fundamentals on Thursday night's. We drilled cross-body to trap their framing arm to knee slide mount to mount and kata gatame. I was pairs with a new guy, his third class, and we drilled it, and he caught on fast.

Rolls were great. Did four tonight including another with Professor. It's great rolling with him now, I can actually use Jiu Jitsu on him and it's legit. And I feel like I'm not doing stupid shit, which is good. He seemed happy with how I did.

Came home, ate and I feel good.

Did my usual brisk walking this week like normal too.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:11 pm

KETTLEBELLS

Swings: 24 x 8 x 15, fast walking between sets
Time: 8:25

Then I made coconut curry chicken.

I also got a new pet boa constrictor today. His name is "Buster."

I've also drank a 22 oz. Guinness Extra Stout, two cans of Murphy's Pub Stout and now I'm on my third Newcastle.

Great fucking day!! :happiness:

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:53 pm

Great day today! Lots of walking, pho for lunch, and green curry beef for dinner!

And kettlebells-

Snatches!

24kg x 3 x 5 R
24kg x 3 x 5 L

35% bodyfat.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:57 pm

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:Great day today! Lots of walking, pho for lunch, and green curry beef for dinner!

And kettlebells-

Snatches!

24kg x 3 x 5 R
24kg x 3 x 5 L
Sounds like a kickass afternoon.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:24 am

It's good seeing BJJ doing even more for you than just fighting, fun and fitness.

I hear you on the anxiety thing.

We used to groundfight about 40% of the time 10 years back, and my main training partner has always had 50-70# on me so I fought from the bottom a lot and had to get used to being smooshed under another person.

We got away from that much GF since then and even more so after going off on our own.

I noticed that tough spots underneath my training partner would bring that caged rat feeling up and I actually had to stop myself from tapping from it and fight through it whereas before I'd rather pass out than even entertain the idea to tap for any reason other than a sub or choke.

That was a head check for me. To much relying on past exp. and skills and a check to get back to more ground fighting.

So we've been putting more time into ground fighting the last few months. Had a real dogfight with a tough student last week and I just calmed down and let him burn himself out.

Ju Jutsu has to be about more than just combat in our day and age. And helping people with their issues is one of the best things i can help with.

I have seen so many people learn to stand up straighter, present themselves more confidently, feel better about themselves and the like. And on the fighting front something a student, who also trains privatly with me said :

" I used to be affraid of the idea of getting into a situation or a fight. Real nervous about it. But after 2 years of this, when it looked like I might be headed to a problem (he plays in a band, so he gets the drunk idiot deal a good bit.) I was ready to go. It's not that I don't have fear about violence anymore but I am not petrified by it, shocked by it when I see it and feel I can handle myself if I have to."

I hit him with my favourite Rickson Gracie quote from Choke. " Anyone who says he is not afraid or does not feel fear is a lier or a crazy person. I fear all kinds of things, I fear everyone, that's why I train Jiu-Jitsu!"

The opposite of fear is love and the love of the Roll is one of the best ways to put fear in it's proper box.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:37 pm

Dunn and DARTH! Thank you guys!

That Gracie quote sums it all up perfectly. And frankly, I'm very glad I've stuck with it, I really am. I really have begun to enjoy rolling, no matter who I'm paired-up with or what the outcome is. It's always an enjoyable learning experience. Doesn't matter how I feel when I get there, I always feel better after training and I'm always looking forward to going back.

I won't make it tonight, sadly. Got a whole lot of work stuff to do. So I'll go to Advanced class tomorrow and that'll be just fine.

In the meantime, here's today's work-

KETTLEBELLS

1-Arm Swings!
L: 16 kg x 8 x 10
R: 16 kg x 8 x 10
Time: 10:18

35% bodyfat.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Great attitude. I'm down to 1 or 2 sessions a week, maybe 1 or 2 every other week due to work. I've heard the quote several times so I don't know who said it first but to paraphrase "you can train 5 days a week for 2 years or you can train 1 or 2 days a week for the rest of your life." I'm never going to win any big comps, I have too many other "sports" I enjoy, and I don't want to be a fighter so I may as well just train and enjoy it.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:22 pm

Ed Zachary wrote:Great attitude. I'm down to 1 or 2 sessions a week, maybe 1 or 2 every other week due to work. I've heard the quote several times so I don't know who said it first but to paraphrase "you can train 5 days a week for 2 years or you can train 1 or 2 days a week for the rest of your life." I'm never going to win any big comps, I have too many other "sports" I enjoy, and I don't want to be a fighter so I may as well just train and enjoy it.
I go after it with a similar outlook.

I can't afford to have unnecessary worries, in my life. Occasionally job stuff happens and I have to bring some work home with me or whatever, or an emergency comes up.

And what's more- my Monday through Friday, 6 to 3 is already spoken for, schedule wise. I do not wish to "plan" anything else. I am at the point now where I know that I will train something, every day. So I leave it all wide-open and then I see how the week looks, and play it where it lies.

And it's like you said- consistent training, for the long haul, is what matters.

It is good to do things this way, for people like us.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:14 am

MOVING AROUND

Lots and lots of walking briskly.

KETTLEBELLS

Get Ups!
L: 16kg. x 3
R: 16 kg. x 3

BJJ

Went to Advanced class tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Practically everybody came out, huge class, lots of purple belts, lots of rolling.

I have a rudimentary game figured out. The conditioning improvements have been paying me dividends, and I wanted to bring into full conscienceness these things I've been learning, so my game goes like this-

Use the high-percentage fundamentals as part of a guard playing game, to conserve energy, survive, and set up attacks with the ones I know.

I've basically started pulling guard immediately, get them in closed guard, and bring down their energy using as little of mine as I need. Then I attack chokes, methodically, and look for weaknesses in the base. If there is one, I have two options, scissor sweep or flower sweep, to mount. If, while I attack chokes and try and break their posture, and they put a hand on the mat, I have a hip bump sweet and a Kimura option. And if I'm rolling a way better guy than me, I relax inside, make it hard for them to break my guard, and if they do pass me, I have my hip escape options, and mount escape options to help me; and all I have to do is protect my neck and have faith in my escapes, relax and pay attention, and make then happen.

LMFAO It's rudimentary and simple. But it worked for me really well. Expended way less energy going at it like this. Got submitted less (way less) and managed a few decent escapes into more advantageous positions.

Getting in better shape has helped me a lot because now I feel good out there and can try several things in rapid succession without tiring out. It's like, I can finally play.

35% bodyfat.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:26 am

Hey Doc,

Great log! You're a writer, it's fun to read about the BJJ, I trained for a few years myself.

I read your last post about pulling guard being your go to strategy....I would strongly suggest working on some sort of take-down/sweep/sacrifice -- I'm 6'3 and flexible and my overall game was weakened by relying on guard pulling. It was only towards the end that I started to develop a take-down game and sadly I know zero Judo that I would lean towards in a fight, but it's where the art is from - Judo. I had Judo class as an option 2x a week, but I would just spam ankle picks if I ever went.

Plus sometimes people slam you when you pull guard, not fun.

Hope you don't copy my mistake!
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:07 pm

Hey there Bram!

Thank you for the advice :happiness:

The way it is right now, use white belts don't work standup/takedown stuff too much when we roll. Don't get me wrong, we get the opportunity for it, frequently I might add, under the watch of Professor, but mainly when we start, we're already on the ground. So that's where I'm starting out at...

Now, that said, during the classes I've been to where we've done takedown stuff live, I have found that I caught on to single-leg takedowns, and shakedowns quite quickly. And I have managed to pull the trigger with those on occasions where, during open mat, I'm rolling with. Higher ranked guy and we end up -somehow- on our feet.

And I definitely get what you're saying.

35% bodyfat.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:34 pm

There are a couple of judo throws and sweeps that are relatively easy to learn and to use. I'm thinking along the lines of deashi harai, kouchi gari, kosoto gari, osoto gari, and ouchi gari. I found that those had a good bit of application to the bjj standup game (good for no gi, too). They're quick, and because most of them don't require the same level of commitment as a big throw like uchi mata or seoi nage, even if it's not a clean takedown you can often work into a good position from there.

caveat, I was never any good at bjj, and pretty much the only way I could get into a good position was by landing a throw. I hated guys who pulled guard.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:17 pm

Moving Around

2 mile jog with Begonia
2 mile lunchtime walk

Barbells

Deadlifts!
135 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 5
245 x 5
275 x 10

Kettlebells

Swings! ... Jog between sets
24 kg x 5 x 20
24 kg x 4 x 10
Time: 7:31

Today's moving around was great. And it was fun to deadlift today.

Kettlebell swings felt awesome after dead lifting, the bell felt light, but- my lower back was on fire by my third set of 20. I gutted out 2 more sets, and ten switched to 10's, before my back muscles said "Bro, this sucks, and we're gonna make your form suck because of it."

Not worried about it. 140 swings in seven and a half minutes, and leaving feeling good is something I'll take, gratefully.

Bud! As to your post. I have mad respect for Judo guys. The takedowns and throws they do and their athleticism is awesome and I admire it. Heh, as for me, I'm a guard puller until my mind expands back into passing. Meanwhile, I am paying the utmost attention to those who pass me, learn what they do, tryin to learn to pass better backwards, from the standpoint of defending against it.

And as to the takedowns, I'm gonna work that more at open mats, because it is good stuff.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:25 am

Moving Around

2 mile lunchtime walk

Jiu Jitsu

I used my Fundamentals and my escapes to survive a five minute war with 260 lb. Handsome Frank. I was able to defend myself against all of his submission attempts. LOL He still bested me by points, but God damn, I kept my head together, I kept myself from freaking out, and did what I'm supposed to do, and actually managed to pull off some good escapes out of bad positions into better ones. And I didn't feel dead afterward, either.

For me that's huge because it used to be, when I was new, and Professor would pair me up with him, I'd feel terrified, and like I wanted to barf, and he and I would roll and Frank would smash me and crush me, and it hurt, bad and wasn't fun at all LMFAO

Not today. When he walked in I thought "Cool!! I can try out my fundamentals on a HUGE guy and see what happens!"

We all had a great time!

35% bodyfat.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:12 am

What I love about your log and your writing is that as it goes on, you can see plain and simple progression. As your fitness improves and your anxiety decreases, your game matures and develops in new and enriching ways. I believe that once you do jiujitsu, it changes the way you eat, the way you exercise, and the way you interact on and off the mat. It is very evident here. Kudos to you brutha! It is really neat to observe.

Soup
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:10 pm

Soupbone wrote:What I love about your log and your writing is that as it goes on, you can see plain and simple progression. As your fitness improves and your anxiety decreases, your game matures and develops in new and enriching ways. I believe that once you do jiujitsu, it changes the way you eat, the way you exercise, and the way you interact on and off the mat. It is very evident here. Kudos to you brutha! It is really neat to observe.

Soup

Thank you Soup!! :happiness:

The progression has been an amazing thing for me to undergo. I can literally see everything in-balance, everything having a positive, supporting effect on everything else and I have never felt better than I do, these days. Even my attitude at work is more positive.

Today's work-

Moving Around

Jogged 2 miles in Lawrenceville before opening the gym. Air was crisp and I felt great on the pavement!

Barbells and Accessories

Bench Press:
45 x 5
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
210 x 7

Weighted Chins:
BW + Yellow Chain x 7
BW + Yellow Chain x 6
BW + Yellow Chain x 6

Weighted Dips:
BW + Yellow Chain x 10
BW + Yellow Chain x 10
BW + Yellow Chain x 10

Kettlebells

Swings! Jog between sets:
24 kg. x 8 x 20
Time: 9:46

I feel great!

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:56 am

Moving Around

2 mile lunchtime jog in the snow with Begonia.

Kookyballs

Snatches! Right arm, then left, go five minutes, don't put it down.
R: 16 kg x 15
L: 16 kg x 15

Do a snatch, rack it, take a big breath into the belly, exhale, then inhale again and snatch, then rack it and exhale. I think I can do a few more reps than that. Will do more next time.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:22 pm

Moving Around

2 mile morning jog first thing with Begonia
1 mile lunchtime walk to the Pho restaurant and back
2 mile post-lifting jog on the treadmill

Barbells

Deadlift

135 x 5
225 x 5
245 x 3
265 x 3
295 x 7

Kettlebells

Swings! You know the drill, jog between sets
28 kg x 7 x 10
Time: 7:46

I was ready for the sore back today after the DL's so I opted for a heavier bell, sets of 10 and a faster jogging pace. Back felt fine until set 5. Started breaking form down by set 7, no problem, I can add a set next time. Stayed on the treadmill, got my HR down a bit and then went two miles jogging, and followed that up with easy cool-down walking.

I'm happy with how today's training went.

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:44 am

Moving Around

2 mile jog with Begonia
1 mile walk round trip at lunch to guess where...

Barbells

Squats!
135 x 10
185 x 3
205 x 3
225 x 8

BJJ

OPEN MAT!!

First roll was a 12 minute "fight until a submission" with Big Tim. He steamrolled me and I played guard and worked my escapes, and sweeps, and got mount and attempted submissions, and then want back to defending, and escaping, and basically surviving for, well, 12 minutes until he submitted me.

I held up well. After that roll I didn't feel dead.

Rolled with Adam and he have me a lot of helpful feedback. As did Coach Jake after I rolled with him as well.

Definitely glad I went and I can't wait to get back on the mat on Monday!

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:47 am

Haven't posted updates in a while, but that doesn't need good things haven't been happening.

Last Saturday I got my my Blue Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. A year and a half of training under my belt, and I got promoted. Very happy.

Today's work consisted of the following-

1. 2 mile fast AM run with Begonia
2. post-run KB snatches R + L: 16 kg x 3 x 10
3. Open Mat- drilled lots of sweeps from De La Riva guard, then rolling. Did four today, and survived and held my own.

35% bodyfat.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:05 am

Congrats on the promotion amigo.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality