¡¡¡IN BATTLE THERE IS NO LAW!!!

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: ¡¡¡IN BATTLE THERE IS NO LAW!!!

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:20 pm

2014.04.15PM; fighting a cold so no Jiu-Jitsu.

1. Squats 5 × 5 (135, 185, 235 x 3 x 3)
2. Calf Raises 3 × 20 @ 135
3. One Arm DB Rows 5 × 5 (30, 40, 50 x 3)
4. Standing DB Press 5 × 5 (30s, 40s, 50s x 3)
5. Dead Lifts 3 × 5 (135, 225, 275)
6. Alt. DB Curl 3 ×10 @ 30's
7. Leg Raises 1 x 20

Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:13 pm

2014.04.17PM; still fighting this cold, but am almost out of the woods. Anyway, my right knee, which I jacked up on the heavy bag two weeks ago, got aggravated by the squats on Saturday. I think it's just some inflammation, but I chose to rest it today, so upper-body only

1. Dumbbell Bench Press 5 x 5 (35s, 45s, 55s x 5 x 3)
2. Ring Chins 5 x 2, 2, 3, 3, 2
3. Alt. Dumbbell Curl 3 x 6 (35s)
4. Bench Knee Tucks 1 x 20

Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:04 pm

2014.04.18PM; Jiu-Jitsu...taught the Friday self defense course, vale tudo type situations starting from bottom side control. How to prevent all strikes, biting, and headbutts and to improve the situation by sweeping, turning to half guard, or full guard, and then how to counter attack.

Finished the sessions sparring with my newly minted black belt student; we were both getting over colds so we took it easy. I played mostly from sitting guard, but got a nice rolling arm bar one time, and a back attack another.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:38 pm

2014.04.19AM± Jiu-Jitsu...trained the little keeedz this morning, with the main thrust of technical instruction being how to use your legs to control your opponent when you have them in closed guard. We kept it short and then had them spar a bunch of rounds, then finished up with a big Easter egg hunt.

Later in the day I did the following truncated workout. This was one of those days where, if I wasn't so stubborn, I would have just waited until Sunday. My energy was low, everything felt heavy, but whatever. I again skipped out on any leg work, but I think my knee is mending so soon I should be able to go back to squatting.

1. DB Press (35s x 5, 45s x 5, 55s x 3 x 3)
2. One Arm DB Row 5 x 5 (35, 45, 55 x 5 x 3)
3. Alt. DB Curls 3 x 7 @ 35s
4. Leg Raises x 22

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:32 pm

2014.04.21PM; Jiu-Jitsu...sparred with an aggressive blue belt as my warm up. I let him expend himself, then cut his head off with paper cutter chokes. Followed that with an hour of drilling arm bars from guards, and re-counters when he defends, including a brilliant break if the guy getting attacked uses the "arm triangle" style defense.

Finished with a little more sparring.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:45 pm

2014.04.22PM; was working on Kaua‘i all day, so no jiu-jitsu...instead did this when I flew home.

I think the knee is finally back in working order, but still kept in an extra warmup set.

1. Box Squat 5 x 5 (135, 155, 185, 225 x 2)
2. Ring Chins 5 x 2, 3, 3, 3, 2
3. Dumbbell Bench Press 5 x 5 (40s, 50s, 60s x 3)
4. Alt. Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8 (35s)
5. Barbell Calf Raises 3 x 20 (135 x 3)
6. Bench Knee Tucks 1 x 23

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:31 pm

2014.04.23PM; Jiu-Jitsu...rolled with a big blue belt for my warm up. He was struggling to keep up, so we switched to me not being able to use any submissions. He said that he gets almost resigned when he rolled against me, so taking the fear of losing out of it made him loosen up and use his natural strength. I also talked to him about some other problems I saw, and then we rolled some more. He was able to pass to kesa-gatame and submit me with a leg-entangled arm lock once he felt safe enough to try his best.

After that an hour of drilling omoplata entries to sweeps forward and back, and then a little more rolling. I would have stayed for more rounds but I was late to pick my son up from his grandparents' so it had to end there.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:55 pm

2014.04.25PM; Jiu-Jitsu…taught the Friday self-defense class, then sparring with my black belt student. He’s an older guy, albeit in spectacular shape, so I played mostly from sitting up guard.

Any time he started to make progress I pulled him into closed guard and made him start the process of passing again; the attacks an opponent can fend off when they are fresh can become very effective on the third or forth pass.

Aloha!

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:25 pm

Fat Cat wrote: Any time he started to make progress I pulled him into closed guard and made him start the process of passing again; the attacks an opponent can fend off when they are fresh can become very effective on the third or forth pass.
I'm taking notes.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:25 pm

2014.04.26AM; taught the kiddies Jiu-Jitsu then did this at home for papa...afternoon was gardening, sword fights, and reading Daodejing in the back yard.

1. Box Squat 5 x 5 (135, 185, 225 x 3)
2. Ring Chins 5 x 2, 3, 3, 3, 3
3. Barbell Bench Press 5 x 5 (135, 160, 185 x 3)
4. Dumbbell Bench Press 3 x 10 (40s, 50s, 60s)
5. Alt. Dumbbell Curl 3 x 9 (35s)
6. Bench Knee Tucks 1 x 25

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:26 pm

johno wrote:
Fat Cat wrote: Any time he started to make progress I pulled him into closed guard and made him start the process of passing again; the attacks an opponent can fend off when they are fresh can become very effective on the third or forth pass.
I'm taking notes.
I play the old school open guard with the feet on the hips and knees, so it's a very easy transition between them. One hand in the collar, one hand on the seam behind the elbow.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:21 pm

Fat Cat, thanks.
I'm more a Half Guard guy, but appreciate your tactic of wearing down your opponent.

W.B. Yeats

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:04 pm

Half Guard's alright,
Half Guard's alright,
Half Guard's alright,
if you like saxophones!

Half Guard's alright if you wanna be pushed in front of the subway!
Half Guard's alright if you like tuberculosis!
Half Guard's alright if you like art and jazz!
Half Guard's alright if you're a homosexual!

Half Guard's alright,
Half Guard's alright,
Half Guard's alright,
if you like saxophones!

Half Guard's alright if you like drunks in your doorway!
Half Guard's alright if you wanna freeze to death!
Half Guard's alright if you wanna get mugged or murdered!
Half Guard's alright if you like saxophones!

Half Guard's alright,
Half Guard's alright,
Half Guard's alright,
if you like saxophones!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:31 pm

2014.04.28PM; Jiu-Jitsu...rolled with a big white belt from Mumbai for my warm up. I played open guard and just disrupted his posture and positioning, but keeping things pretty light and easy.

Class was an hour of working on transitioning from a knee shield half guard to a deep half, then a Bruno Farias-style upa sweep, followed by an immediate arm bar finish. After class we did additional 8 minute rounds.

My first round was against this guy that I've been keeping my eye on. He's very athletic, very capable, and very successful in tournaments. He also is a complete punk. He shows up at the end of class, just to spar when he is fresh and they've all been working for an hour. He also brutalizes new guys, barely even acknowledges people in general, and just has a massive chip on his shoulder. Immediately he goes at me like its the Olympics, but I put him on his butt and start passing...*BAM* kicks me in the nose. Whatever. I pass and choke him. Slap, dap, and we are going for round two...*BAM* kicks me in the face again. This time I'm bleedin, but I choke him, go clean myself up, go back, and finish him again. All the while he is going 1,000,000 miles per hour like he hates me. After 8 minutes, I go wash my face and then called him out in front of everybody present.

"Do you have a problem with me?"

"Are you angry with me about something?"

"Have I hurt you? Or injured you in training and you didn't tell me?"

"Here's your chance to speak boldly, tell me man to man what the problem is."

He starts denying anything, saying "that's just the pace I train at." "I didn't mean anything by it."

So I gave him his chance to be a man, but he wasn't up for that. I left it at that and went on to spar with others, but I made it plain to him that he had a chance to put things at ease, and now it's gone. The next time he fucks with me, or anyone in front of me, I will throw him out the second floor window without hesitation.

Aloha!

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:45 pm

Nice work, FC. Bullies & douchebags need to be regulated.

W.B. Yeats

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:47 pm

I did nothing this time out of respect for the presiding instructor but I told all three black belts who were on the mat, his ticket is getting punched the next time he gets froggy. Nobody gets to hit me with impunity.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:08 pm

I saw a guy body slam his partner. One time. What Eric did to the guy scared me. It was all grappling, but tapping was not recognized.
That's why our gym is so orderly.

Again, I salute you. Probably that guy has cost the school students, and hurts the spirit of the Art when he is there.

W.B. Yeats

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:30 pm

Good job. Really good.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:12 am

Nice, Mak.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:45 am

Fat Cat wrote:Half Guard's alright,
Half Guard's alright,
Half Guard's alright,
if you like saxophones!

... pushed in front of the subway!
... tuberculosis!
... art and jazz!
... homosexual!

...drunks in your doorway!
...freeze to death!
... mugged or murdered!
Half Guard's alright if you like saxophones!
Now I know what it felt like to be black under Jim Crow.

W.B. Yeats

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:36 pm

TomFurman wrote:Good job. Really good.
Nah...I don't know. Now that I have cooled off some, I think that I wouldn't have gotten mad about it if I didn't already dislike the guy. Accidents happen all the time in training, and maybe that's all it was. But to have him come in fresh, not participate in class, and then try to go a million miles per hour with me to the extent that he is kicking me in the face just set me off.

:(

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:25 pm

2014.04.29PM; Jiu-Jitsu...an hour of class work, half of it was standing self defense against grips from the front, the second half was vale-tudo guard; essentially how to hit and not be hit from bottom guard when all techniques are on the table: headbutts, bites, gouging, groin strikes, etc. Finished the night with 8 minute rounds.

Aloha!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:26 pm

Hespect.
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:30 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
TomFurman wrote:Good job. Really good.
Nah...I don't know. Now that I have cooled off some, I think that I wouldn't have gotten mad about it if I didn't already dislike the guy. Accidents happen all the time in training, and maybe that's all it was. But to have him come in fresh, not participate in class, and then try to go a million miles per hour with me to the extent that he is kicking me in the face just set me off.

:(
I can dig it. "Fighters" at my old gym were bad about this. It was never the real fighters it was always the guy who never won a damned fight or just knew he had the potential to be great. We'd do 1 1/2 hours of BJJ, condititioning, then another hour of nogi/mma training. These assholes always showed up after we were done conditioning then dicked around for 30 minutes until it was time to spar/roll.

If you have time at a later date I'd like to pick your brain about BJJ self defense training. I really want to start working on this and I want to get my wife and kids into this aspect of the art as well. Would you prefer I start a thread on the training forum or just pm you?
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:42 pm

Start a thread, that way more people can get involved. I am always available by PM as well.