Right now I'm drinking

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

davidc
Sgt. Major

Re: Right now I'm drinking

Post by davidc »

Smet I can't see your jpg. What was your Valentine's drink?

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

I'm drinking water and coffee. Going on 3 months sober due to military restrictions (BMT and tech school). I fucking hate all of you.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Here.

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc »

Smet wrote:Here.

Nice. Thanks.
Dunn wrote:I'm drinking water and coffee. Going on 3 months sober due to military restrictions (BMT and tech school). I fucking hate all of you.
Ouch. Please tell me it's at least helping you stay trim without dieting. Or something.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I've suspected this for a long time, but now I have proof. Many so-called craft distillers are really just big factory blends. Doesn't mean it's bad whiskey, just means it's dishonest.

Suck my balls Templeton and your your prohibition era Iowa recipe too.

Your 'Craft' Rye Whiskey Is Probably From a Distiller in Indiana

You might find this comprehenive list of distilleries useful.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:I've suspected this for a long time, but now I have proof. Many so-called craft distillers are really just big factory blends. Doesn't mean it's bad whiskey, just means it's dishonest.

From my understanding this is true at least for a while for just about any new start-up craft distillery. They need to get a product out so they can get some cash flowing, but a good rye or bourbon takes four to seven years to age. So the master distiller or whoever blends from several other whiskeys to get a product that's in line with what he wants to offer until their barrels start coming on line.

Now, if all they do is blend and never plan to distill and age for themselves but still advertise themselves as "craft distillers", that's dishonest.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc »

Belle Meade, one of the bourbons made by that Indiana giant, is really good.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

davidc wrote:Belle Meade, one of the bourbons made by that Indiana giant, is really good.
Really, beyond the romance of a craft distiller, why shouldn't a giant be able to make great stuff to the utmost consistency.

That said, I think some of the so-called craft distillers such as Templeton are living off of marketing a fantasy. It's not necessarily immoral but it's not ideal. Next thing you know, I'll find out some of the girls in the white women thread have enhanced titties. Is there no end to the deception?
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:I've suspected this for a long time, but now I have proof. Many so-called craft distillers are really just big factory blends. Doesn't mean it's bad whiskey, just means it's dishonest.

That dude Sku posts on Chowhound as well. Knowledgeable guy.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

been working my way through a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12. It's an Islay, but the peat is toned down compared to Ardbeg or Laphroaig. I think I like it better than those two, though need to do a side by side.

It is not better than Lagavulin which I think retains the strong peat taste but is much smoother than Ardbeg/Laphroaig... maybe because of the extra time in the barrel?

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

I must confess, Lagavulin is my long time love. I was treated to it by my friend and, like many people, I found the taste somewhat medicinal. Lo and behold, perseverance is the mother of success, and while just keeping the appearances and the company for others, I grew to love this taste. Lagavulin's peat seems quite unique and different from other whiskeys.

Funny thing: whisky is the poor man's cognac. A bottle of good cognac will easily set you back few hundred dollars, while whisky of similar class will cost three times less. So... A glass of good single malt with a good cigar - who needs heaven?

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:

That dude Sku posts on Chowhound as well. Knowledgeable guy.
Fucking hilarious. I just sent this to a friend who went out of his way to get me a bottle of the very limited in availability Templeton Rye...they only had 3 bottles left!!! Motherfuckers. I think I posted a pic of that shit on this thread way way back.

At least the Garrison Brothers are the real deal. Unless one of you fuckers are gonna mess that up for me too.

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc »

To me this tastes like Laphroaig dipped in butter. Delicious!

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc »

delete double post

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

A bit tart and funky as hell

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I've tried a fuck ton of hoppy west coast style IPAs...the best, hands down. double IPA i've ever had was Hopslam from Bells in Michigan, it's seasonal bliss. It beats the shit out of Stone's offerings and the Dogfish Head's best effort.

I will look for those though.

I love me some good strong IPA.
Finally had Hopslam tonight.
Best IPA I've ever had.
Not.Even.Close.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

davidc wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I've tried a fuck ton of hoppy west coast style IPAs...the best, hands down. double IPA i've ever had was Hopslam from Bells in Michigan, it's seasonal bliss. It beats the shit out of Stone's offerings and the Dogfish Head's best effort.

I will look for those though.

I love me some good strong IPA.
Finally had Hopslam tonight.
Best IPA I've ever had.
Not.Even.Close.
Get yourself a Boundary Bay IPA from Bellingham, WA. Best IPA I've ever had, including the Bells Hopslam and Terrapin Hopsecutioner.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

VO2 maxed
Sarge

Post by VO2 maxed »

I really like Sierra Nevada's new Hop Hunter IPA, because it doesn't have much of that grapefruity hop taste
that so many "West Coast" style IPA's have. Also, because I love hops, but don't want to be
clubbed to death by them. Maybe some people wouldn't even consider this a "true" IPA. Whatever.... :-)

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

meh....

Not sure if my tastes have changed or if it the beer or what. But this used to be one of my absolute favorite beers. Now, even compared to the same style from other brewers, it is kind of thick and sweet and orange.

Disappointed.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Bump

I miss this thread... I have been drinking whisk(e)y this chilly California winter. The Glenfarclas is my first non-islay in a while, it's great. Image

Heaven Hill could be the next Buffalo Trace: Bernheims was phenomenal, this is very good as well. Little sharp at 100 proof for the first sip or two.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

Just finished a bottle of Highland Park, have a GlenLivet 15 on tap. Also have a handle of JW Black

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

Been a while. Forgot how absolutely fantastic this is. :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers:

Just occurred to me that this would be even more awesome with a Liga Privada #9. Next time!
Last edited by The Crawdaddy on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

Ewwwww. Piss water. You could at least go with regular Coors.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc »

love this mezcal