Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Easily one of my top 3 favorite games of all time. Never played a Metal Gear game before? Me neither.

Too many pros to mention, few cons, if any.

How awesome is this game? How about rocket punching a bunch of niglets and kidnapping them with balloons...yeah, that awesome.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzC70o3mv_M[/youtube]

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

You play Far Cry 3?

You would love it, almost everyone you kill has dark skin.

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Hell yeah. The first half of Far Cry 3 is nothing but putting the hurt on nagger pirates.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

I've got some credit at Amazon and I'm fixing to buy a game new for once rather than waiting for a Steam sale.

GTA V or phantom pain? Have never played a previous metal gear game but have heard this is excellent; have played all previous GTA games and enjoyed them for the world building more than the gameplay or story.

NPCs melanin content is unimportant to me

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

How old are you people?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Bud Charniga's grape ape wrote:I've got some credit at Amazon and I'm fixing to buy a game new for once rather than waiting for a Steam sale.

GTA V or phantom pain? Have never played a previous metal gear game but have heard this is excellent; have played all previous GTA games and enjoyed them for the world building more than the gameplay or story.

NPCs melanin content is unimportant to me
Depends on the type of play you value. GTAV is arguably the best open world game ever created. MGSV also does open world well, but GTAV is bigger and busier while MGSV's action is clustered more around the missions.

GTAV also has a better storyline, while MGSV is essentially Jap gibberish.

Where MGSV excels is in stealth. This is perhaps the best stealth game yet, and the game rewards that style of gameplay. The play variety is similar to the Far Cry series as you can choose to go in loud with different load outs, or pick everyone off in stealth mode. There is also an economic play dynamic that overlays everything where you accumulate resources to build your base and develop weapons, equipment, etc.

Both games are great, and you can't go wrong with either one. If you've loved the previous GTA games, then V is the zenith of the series. They accentuated everything that was wonderful in the past, and fixed/removed everything that was wrong or annoying.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Protobuilder wrote:How old are you people?
that's what I'm saying

Put away your childish things!
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Thanks Kaz. I'm sure I'll buy both at some point, the only question was which one first.

Proto and Terry: You're absolutely right. From now on I'll only do very mature and grownup things. Like dicking around on the internet.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Terry has over 8000 posts on here.

What a loser!

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

I like the post whores. I've built some of the greatest threads in Internet history with them. How could I not like them?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

milosz

Post by milosz »

Took me a few missions to get into this and to resist the standard FPS run and gun urges, but it's pretty damn good. Skipping all the cutscenes helps, though that's probably why I don't understand anything about the intro (nor do I care).

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

milosz wrote:Took me a few missions to get into this and to resist the standard FPS run and gun urges, but it's pretty damn good. Skipping all the cutscenes helps, though that's probably why I don't understand anything about the intro (nor do I care).
Yeah, the hour long survival horror intro is a pain, but once you hit Afghanistan the fun begins. The deeper I get into it, the better it gets.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:
milosz wrote:Took me a few missions to get into this and to resist the standard FPS run and gun urges, but it's pretty damn good. Skipping all the cutscenes helps, though that's probably why I don't understand anything about the intro (nor do I care).
Yeah, the hour long survival horror intro is a pain, but once you hit Afghanistan the fun begins. The deeper I get into it, the better it gets.
Then what happens?

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Protobuilder wrote:
Kazuya Mishima wrote:
Then what happens?
I don't want to spoil the surprise for you.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I picked up Far Cry for dirt cheap. But am waiting for Fallout 4 before I begin my dive into video game time wastage again

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Oh, I am DONE when Fallout 4 hits the street unless they fucked it up, somehow.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Hey deviants, I got an XBox One for my Burpday. I have for about the last 5 years strictly been a Call Of Doody on-line multi-player guy but some of their shit has worn on me particularly the shit they pulled with Advanced Warfare and the XBox 360. So what's the scoop on this Fall Out/Far Cry stuff...is it on-line play where you're zapping chubby pimply faced 12 year-olds or it's the actual game itself? I can be convinced to try something else.

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Far Cry has online multi-player, but the single player campaign is the absolute tits and the core of the game.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Fallout 4 is going to be great in about two years, when I pick it up for $5 in a Steam sale, after modders have patches out all the bugs.

Shape, are you looking for online manshoots or are you looking for a good single-player game? Or both?

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Bud, I have been primarily an on-line shooter guy but I'm willing to consider something different. The CoD developers, particularly this last one with Advanced Warfare just fucking offended me and all the other 360 players by putting out the game and letting it roll for awhile then did an update in May which kept me from earning any of the big rewards and allowed the 360 players to play only one game style (team deathmatch). When I started digging I discovered the 360 really can't support all of the on-line features of the game...but nowhere during the initial launch of the game did that get mentioned. I wouldn't have bought the fucking thing. So I'm in the mood to boycott these fuckers but they'll still sell 10 million copies of the next one.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

I'll write more later but if you like online shooters but hate Activision, you should take a look at the Battlefield games, the most recent of which is BF 4 (ignore Battlefield Hardline, which is stupid).

The focus is more on large-scale "you are a soldier in a big army" fighting than small-scale "you are teh best specfor commando!" a la CoD, but it's still basically DARF's Nocturnal Emission: the video game.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Kazuya Mishima wrote:
Picked this up the other day. Just got to Afghanistan. If I hadn't (a) blown $60 on the game and (b) heard it gets better, I probably would've given up.

I mean: OK cool I'm in a hospital and I'm weak and oh there's a lady assassin oh dear now she's on fire and I guess I'm following this guy wow photorealistic asscrack and now the soviets are trying to kill me that seems unfortunate and now there's a lady but I guess she's also made of jetpacks and how much longer does this last and there's a guy who's made out of fire oh jesus christ idgaf and a whale made out of fire just ate a helicopter that's something I suppose fuck me it's not over yet oh and now there's a man on a horse and I'm shooting at the fire man even though the past fucking hour of the game just showed me over and over that shooting fireman doesn't do anything oh it's over yay.

All of that could've been boiled down to "you are a BAD DUDE go kill these OTHER DUDES."

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

The first hour is a bullshit waste of time. That crawling on the floor shit.....

milosz

Post by milosz »

I didn't realize you could skip the cut scenes for most of that, it was fucking awful.