Hario Skerton Ceramic Coffee Grinder

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Hario Skerton Ceramic Coffee Grinder

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Wife got me one for my birthday/Christmas. Very nice little grinder. Container can hold enough grounds for 2 full 12 cup pots if you fill it to the top. Just take the grinder off and put the lid on it and pop it in the refrigerator to keep the grounds semi-fresh until the next morning's brew.

Pros: Highly adjustable from very fine espresso to coarse French press grinds. Doesn't generate the heat of an electric grinder, which can heat the beans up during grinding. Nearly silent (this is the big selling point at my house, no waking the wife up in the wee hours grinding beans)

Cons: Slow. Took a while to dial in the right grind for my coffee maker.

I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Re: Hario Skerton Ceramic Coffee Grinder

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

Thanks for the write up. When you say "slow," how slow are we talking about? I usually brew a 4-cup pot in the morning; how long would it take me to grind the beans for that? I definitely like the quiet aspect of it; with a toddler in the house, being able to brew a pot without waking everyone sounds really nice, but if it's going to take half an hour it's not worth it. Also, how easy is it to clean?

Topic author
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Slow only compared to an electric that can grind a hopper of beans in a few seconds. It would take you less than two minutes to get a full pot's worth.

Crazy easy to clean. It pops apart and you can rinse it right off. I only clean mine every week or so.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

If it's like my buddy's you can take the handle off and rig up a way to use a cordless drill to speed up the process.

milosz

Post by milosz »

I do cold brew so I need 10-12oz at once - I quickly gave one of these away in favor of an electric burr grinder.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Bud Charniga's grape ape wrote:Thanks for the write up. When you say "slow," how slow are we talking about? I usually brew a 4-cup pot in the morning; how long would it take me to grind the beans for that? I definitely like the quiet aspect of it; with a toddler in the house, being able to brew a pot without waking everyone sounds really nice, but if it's going to take half an hour it's not worth it. Also, how easy is it to clean?
The Capresso Infinity is pretty quiet for an electric grinder if you want something a little faster or easier.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

I want a burr grinder as I know it will make my coffee even better (Shit, I roast my own bean), but I can't get over the size of the damn things. They all seem so tall they don't really even fit in a damn cabinet,
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan

milosz

Post by milosz »

My Cuisanart burr grinder seems to be about six by six by twelve tall? Not that huge compared to my food processor or stand mixer.

Topic author
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

This little thing is a burr grinder. Whole shootin' match is about the size of a mason jar when you take the handle off.

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

milosz wrote:My Cuisanart burr grinder seems to be about six by six by twelve tall? Not that huge compared to my food processor or stand mixer.
That's not so bad. Maybe.
Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:This little thing is a burr grinder. Whole shootin' match is about the size of a mason jar when you take the handle off.
True, but my patience isn't anywhere near the right realm for grinding by hand.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Alright let's talk about this for a minute. Without trying to be too cuntish on my part, can you fuckers honestly say that there is a recognizable improvement in taste from using a burr grinder versus a 10.00 Mr. Coffee blade grinder? Just fyi I'm the king of spending money on frivolous unnecessary shit but I just can't buy into the need for a burr grinder and the hype surrounding getting the coffee ground "just right." Educate me please. I've looked at some of them and if you wanted to you can spend upwards of a grand on a burr grinder. Makes no sense to me.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

Shapecharge wrote:Alright let's talk about this for a minute. Without trying to be too cuntish on my part, can you fuckers honestly say that there is a recognizable improvement in taste from using a burr grinder versus a 10.00 Mr. Coffee blade grinder? Just fyi I'm the king of spending money on frivolous unnecessary shit but I just can't buy into the need for a burr grinder and the hype surrounding getting the coffee ground "just right." Educate me please. I've looked at some of them and if you wanted to you can spend upwards of a grand on a burr grinder. Makes no sense to me.
I definitely wouldn't spend $1000 on a burr grinder. That's stupid. I got a $40 burr grinder from...Black & Decker I think? and it's just fine. When I worked at Starbucks (10+ years ago) they sold a cheap burr grinder that was actually quite good.

As far as burr grinder vs. blade grinder...there's a noticeable difference, but I don't find it as enormous as some people claim.

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

I agree with Bud. I notice the difference, but not enough to make the change until my blade dies and I find a burr that isn't gargantuan.

You'd get more out of buying green coffee from a single origin and roasting your own bean once per week than anything else you can do. Oh, and you'll save some coin doing it unless you're one of the brainless still drinking that shite out of a blue or red plastic can.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

For those who don't do coffee Portlandia style.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

cafe bustelo is best out of the vac packs. other than that, it's my go to preground when I don't have access to a grinder.

it's not bad out of the aeropress at all

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

The Crawdaddy wrote:You'd get more out of buying green coffee from a single origin and roasting your own bean once per week than anything else you can do.
Unless you have a good local roaster.

Shape, there is a difference between a burr grinder and a blade grinder, but it's not as big as the difference between a blade grinder and coffee that isn't freshly ground. I think there's even a difference between the $80 Capresso and the Black & Decker (same as Bud's?) that I used to have, but the difference in taste is small enough that it might be psychological. The difference in grind consistency is visible; but the most noticeable differences are messiness, easy of cleaning and noise.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Alright shemales, I busted out this old thread because I never forgot it...i.e. the minor discussion about burr grinders. So I went ahead and bought one. I spent a little money and bought the Baratza Preciso. A little pricy but I'm starting to make purchase decisions based one whether or not I might be dead before it needs replacing. There's no doubt it makes a better cup of coffee. And in the interests of full disclosure I went full on coffee homo and bought a Chemex pot to finally put to rest this fucking pour over thing. I can't deny full coffee homo status...I fucking dig it. And it's not that complicated...a really nice cup of joe. CASE CLOSED.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I want to get a chemex...this Hario grinder here is a pain in the ass, like 6-8 minutes for enough coffee from my aeropress...my cheap burr grinder needs replacement too.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

A coffee nut buddy tells me the Baratza Encore does just a good a job at $130 though.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

My Capresso grinder is still doing a great job, but I don't know how it would compare to a more expensive grinder.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I'm all hopped up on caffeine now. Made some in the Chemex thingy to try it out then made some drip stylee when the wife came home. Who wants to come over for coffee? I've only got about half a grand tied up in this shit.

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

I'm always up for coffee, but this sounds like a camping expedition in disguise...

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Crawdad, this is totally legit! I'm practically a barista now. Really.

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

Shapecharge wrote:Crawdad, this is totally legit! I'm practically a barista now. Really.
All right Shape, you totally broke me down - I bought the damn grinder. Will report my findings.

Bastards.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Sweet! Let's see if we can work this into 10k views like the super-blender thread!! Nappy, I need your help on this. While you're relaxing after your bionic knee is healing I need you to give this thread top priortay!!