Seeahill on the rebound

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

User avatar
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it
Posts: 7704
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: The Deep Blue Sea

Seeahill on the rebound

Post by seeahill » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:30 pm

I've finally been given a clean bill of health. (The silly doctors thought there was something wrong with my heart just because I died.) During the interim --- death until now, 15 months --- I didn't just curtail exertion, I sorta vegetated.

But now I'm back. 73, overweight and deconditioned.

I'm starting very slowly.

Diet is intermittent (modified) fasting. I eat 600 calories two days a week. Anything I want the other days. I started two weeks ago at 245 and weighed 238 this morning (after my fast day.) This, I suspect, is a lot of water weight. My goal is to lose 5 pounds a month until I hit the 210-215 mark, where I'm comfortable with my weight.

Exercise: For the next month, walk 3 to 5 miles a day, every day and at any speed I choose. I will reevaluate at the end of May and probably up the speed and intensity.

I don't have much in the way of a strength training routine. I think DDP Yoga is ideal. It's stretching and strength. Problem is: I've tried it and, even though I like it a lot, I can't stay on it. So I am integrating a very mild routine of bodyweight squats, pushups, and crunches. Reevaluate at the end of May.

Why am I telling you this? I'm hoping a public declaration with help me hold to this very simple plan.

Reevaluation at the end of May.
Last edited by seeahill on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
syaigh
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5645
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:29 am
Location: Surrounded by short irrational people

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by syaigh » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Keep it up. Write it down. And ask questions. Great to see you getting back at it. :)
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9806
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 am
Location: Ft. Lauderdale

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by TomFurman » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:47 am

You have my ebook. If you don't, I'll send it with a FAQ. That should get you going. Ping me on email at [email protected] if you need copies sent.

seeahill wrote:I've finally been given a clean bill of health. (The silly doctors thought there was something wrong with my heart just because I died.) During the interim --- death until now, 15 months --- I didn't just curtail exertion, I sorta vegetated.

But now I'm back. 73, overweight and deconditioned.

I'm starting very slowly.

Diet is intermittent (modified) fasting. I eat 600 calories two days a week. Anything I want the other days. I started two weeks ago at 245 and weighed 238 this morning (after my fast day.) This, I suspect, is a lot of water weight. My goal is to lose 5 pounds a month until I hit the 210-215 mark, where I'm comfortable with my weight.

Exercise: For the next month, walk 3 to 5 miles a day, every day and at any speed I choose. I will reevaluate at the end of May and probably up the speed and intensity.

I don't have much in the way of a strength training routine. I think DDP Yoga is ideal. It's stretching and strength. Problem is: I've tried it and, even though I like it a lot, I can't stay on it. So I am integrating a very mild routine of bodyweight squats, pushups, and crunches. Reevaluate at the end of May.

Why am I telling you this? I'm hoping a public declaration with help me hold to this very simple plan.

Reevaluation at the end of May.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

User avatar
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it
Posts: 7704
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: The Deep Blue Sea

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by seeahill » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:36 am

Yes, I have your body weight book Tom. I am using it
It's Stuff I've done all my life. It's familiar to me and and therefor easy. I like it.
Image

User avatar
Bram
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5461
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:38 am

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by Bram » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:13 am

Good job, Tim. Keeping it simple and nice progress so far.

<<<<q
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

User avatar
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8034
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:04 am
Location: Deep in a well

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Sun May 01, 2016 5:48 pm

Bram wrote:Good job, Tim. Keeping it simple and nice progress so far.

<<<<q
Agree.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

User avatar
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6664
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Columbus, GA

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by Dunn » Mon May 02, 2016 1:45 am

Solid work and sustainable. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

User avatar
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it
Posts: 7704
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: The Deep Blue Sea

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by seeahill » Wed May 04, 2016 1:50 am

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm on track. 5 miles and some every day. Some walking sprint intervals every other day. 10 minutes of body weight intervals (like 45 seconds of pushups, 15 seconds rest every minute for 10 minutes) every other day. I will scale bacllk the strength intervals for now. They're beating me up and not sustainable at this point.

You may recall I swam in college. We trained intervals. I like intervals and think you get the best bang for buck (or minute).

I'm feeling good and looking forward to each day's work. That's a surprise 3 weeks into the program, such as it is.
Image

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6797
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:34 pm

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by dead man walking » Wed May 04, 2016 1:58 am

good luck, kid.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

User avatar
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it
Posts: 7704
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: The Deep Blue Sea

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by seeahill » Wed May 11, 2016 2:19 am

Down 10 pounds, 234. Fast days are pretty EZ actually. Feel good. Got five miles every day, averaged out.
Image

User avatar
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it
Posts: 7704
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: The Deep Blue Sea

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by seeahill » Fri May 13, 2016 7:53 pm

On track. 5 miles a day. Integrating very short interval sprints a couple of days a week. 2-3 days a week of 10 minute sessions of easy bodyweight work.

I now have to wear a belt to keep up the pants that were too tight in April.
Image

User avatar
Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs
Posts: 18936
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:14 pm
Location: Eating a cookie in Bikini Bottom.

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by Crust Bucket » Sat May 14, 2016 7:32 am

ATTA BOY TIMMAH, you're doing great!
Image
syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

User avatar
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it
Posts: 7704
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: The Deep Blue Sea

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by seeahill » Fri May 27, 2016 4:42 pm

It's going better than I'd hoped.
Weight: 233, loss of 12 pounds.
Walking: average 5.5 miles a day, no missed days.

Notes: I actually started the intermittent fasting in mid-April, just to see if I could handle it. (I think I missed a day). I solidified my plan on May 1. So the weight loss is really over a 6 weeks period. Still, 2 pounds a week is better than I hoped. Pants are getting loose, belt is tightened down a notch. The weight loss is slowing down now, but I'm shooting for 227 by the end of June.

Walking: I fogot how much I love this. It was no trouble getting back in the habit and I'm motoring easily up hills that would have beat me up two months ago. My dog thinks I'm a hero.

I incorporate hill work and short Tabata like sprints. Will add more as I go on.

Because I always do better if I have an event to look forward to, I'm going to be doing a 22 mile one day hike at the end of August. 4,000 feet of elevation gain. My partner is a guy my age, an old swim teammate from the U of Wisconsin, and the hike over Hurricane Pass is a bucket list item for him. He's never done anything like this. The poor fool thinks I'm good at such stuff, so I need to be in top shape and prepared to help if he breaks down.

Strength: Pretty poor adherence. I've only managed once a week for the round of bodyweight exercises I devised. It only takes eight minutes, and I was hoping to get up to two full rounds. I think with the diet plan working and the walking going well, I will try to keep on schedule with strength. 3x a week at least. If I don't manage it, I'm going to have to try something else.
Image

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2675
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:35 pm

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by DikTracy6000 » Fri May 27, 2016 5:01 pm

Outstanding Tim!

User avatar
johno
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7809
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:36 pm

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by johno » Fri May 27, 2016 7:27 pm

seeahill wrote:It's going better than I'd hoped.
Weight: 233, loss of 12 pounds.
Walking: average 5.5 miles a day, no missed days.

Notes: I actually started the intermittent fasting in mid-April, just to see if I could handle it. (I think I missed a day). I solidified my plan on May 1. So the weight loss is really over a 6 weeks period. Still, 2 pounds a week is better than I hoped. Pants are getting loose, belt is tightened down a notch. The weight loss is slowing down now, but I'm shooting for 227 by the end of June.

Walking: I fogot how much I love this. It was no trouble getting back in the habit and I'm motoring easily up hills that would have beat me up two months ago. My dog thinks I'm a hero.

I incorporate hill work and short Tabata like sprints. Will add more as I go on.

Because I always do better if I have an event to look forward to, I'm going to be doing a 22 mile one day hike at the end of August. 4,000 feet of elevation gain.
So much winning. Congrats!


seeahill wrote:Strength: Pretty poor adherence. I've only managed once a week for the round of bodyweight exercises I devised. It only takes eight minutes, and I was hoping to get up to two full rounds. I think with the diet plan working and the walking going well, I will try to keep on schedule with strength. 3x a week at least. If I don't manage it, I'm going to have to try something else.
You have made a lot of changes. If we posit that willpower is limited...


To put it another way: maybe you have no more fucks to give right now. IMO, lock in your walking & eating plan for 6-12 months, then chase other goals.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

User avatar
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it
Posts: 7704
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: The Deep Blue Sea

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by seeahill » Sat May 28, 2016 12:43 am

johno wrote:
seeahill wrote:It's going better than I'd hoped.
Weight: 233, loss of 12 pounds.
Walking: average 5.5 miles a day, no missed days.

Notes: I actually started the intermittent fasting in mid-April, just to see if I could handle it. (I think I missed a day). I solidified my plan on May 1. So the weight loss is really over a 6 weeks period. Still, 2 pounds a week is better than I hoped. Pants are getting loose, belt is tightened down a notch. The weight loss is slowing down now, but I'm shooting for 227 by the end of June.

Walking: I fogot how much I love this. It was no trouble getting back in the habit and I'm motoring easily up hills that would have beat me up two months ago. My dog thinks I'm a hero.

I incorporate hill work and short Tabata like sprints. Will add more as I go on.

Because I always do better if I have an event to look forward to, I'm going to be doing a 22 mile one day hike at the end of August. 4,000 feet of elevation gain.
So much winning. Congrats!


seeahill wrote:Strength: Pretty poor adherence. I've only managed once a week for the round of bodyweight exercises I devised. It only takes eight minutes, and I was hoping to get up to two full rounds. I think with the diet plan working and the walking going well, I will try to keep on schedule with strength. 3x a week at least. If I don't manage it, I'm going to have to try something else.
You have made a lot of changes. If we posit that willpower is limited...


To put it another way: maybe you have no more fucks to give right now. IMO, lock in your walking & eating plan for 6-12 months, then chase other goals.
Thanks. I think I needed someone I respect to tell me that.
Image

User avatar
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8034
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:04 am
Location: Deep in a well

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Sat May 28, 2016 3:31 pm

seeahill wrote:
johno wrote:
seeahill wrote:It's going better than I'd hoped.
Weight: 233, loss of 12 pounds.
Walking: average 5.5 miles a day, no missed days.

Notes: I actually started the intermittent fasting in mid-April, just to see if I could handle it. (I think I missed a day). I solidified my plan on May 1. So the weight loss is really over a 6 weeks period. Still, 2 pounds a week is better than I hoped. Pants are getting loose, belt is tightened down a notch. The weight loss is slowing down now, but I'm shooting for 227 by the end of June.

Walking: I fogot how much I love this. It was no trouble getting back in the habit and I'm motoring easily up hills that would have beat me up two months ago. My dog thinks I'm a hero.

I incorporate hill work and short Tabata like sprints. Will add more as I go on.

Because I always do better if I have an event to look forward to, I'm going to be doing a 22 mile one day hike at the end of August. 4,000 feet of elevation gain.
So much winning. Congrats!


seeahill wrote:Strength: Pretty poor adherence. I've only managed once a week for the round of bodyweight exercises I devised. It only takes eight minutes, and I was hoping to get up to two full rounds. I think with the diet plan working and the walking going well, I will try to keep on schedule with strength. 3x a week at least. If I don't manage it, I'm going to have to try something else.
You have made a lot of changes. If we posit that willpower is limited...


To put it another way: maybe you have no more fucks to give right now. IMO, lock in your walking & eating plan for 6-12 months, then chase other goals.
Thanks. I think I needed someone I respect to tell me that.
Something you may want to consider is doing just a few reps of the exercises that are going to be in your circuit on a regular basis just to send a message to your body that this is coming. I'm not suggesting a workout, just something gently burrowing into your psyche to help your body tell you when it's ready.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

User avatar
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it
Posts: 7704
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: The Deep Blue Sea

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by seeahill » Mon May 30, 2016 2:50 am

Thanks, DonkeyDoc. Seems worth a try.
Image

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9806
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 am
Location: Ft. Lauderdale

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by TomFurman » Mon May 30, 2016 4:12 pm

--
Attachments
AoWKenya.jpg
AoWKenya.jpg (124.21 KiB) Viewed 8487 times
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

User avatar
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it
Posts: 7704
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: The Deep Blue Sea

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by seeahill » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:48 pm

On course:

Weight 229

A loss of 16 pounds since April 18. Walked 5 miles every day (but one).

I am a little amazed at how well this intermittent diet thing is working for me.
Image

User avatar
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it
Posts: 7704
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: The Deep Blue Sea

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by seeahill » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:44 pm

On track.
Walking: 5 miles or more every day.
Intermittent fasting: pretty easy for me.
Weight 227.

Notes:
227 was my June goal. I'm now shooting for 225 by the end of the month.

I think one of the reasons this diet works for me is that I am really not hungry until late afternoon. That means that I get my walks in before I eat almost every day. I schedule the harder hikes for the day after fast day. That means I'm "running on empty." The concept is controversial and all I can say is that it seems to work for me.
Image

User avatar
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6664
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Columbus, GA

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by Dunn » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:36 am

seeahill wrote:On track.
Walking: 5 miles or more every day.
Intermittent fasting: pretty easy for me.
Weight 227.

Notes:
227 was my June goal. I'm now shooting for 225 by the end of the month.

I think one of the reasons this diet works for me is that I am really not hungry until late afternoon. That means that I get my walks in before I eat almost every day. I schedule the harder hikes for the day after fast day. That means I'm "running on empty." The concept is controversial and all I can say is that it seems to work for me.
Great work, Tim. Finding what works and sticking with it is key.

User avatar
johno
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7809
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:36 pm

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by johno » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:37 pm

Tim, what does a 600 cal. day look like? Timing-wise & food content-wise?
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

User avatar
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it
Posts: 7704
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: The Deep Blue Sea

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by seeahill » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:24 pm

Johno,
Because I love food and love to cook, I'm a little ashamed to say that I take my 600 calories in frozen dinners, like Lean Cuisine. Most run about 250-300 cals and cost $2.99. They're not completely terrible and I know exactly how many calories I get. (I just can't spend 45 minutes cooking and then only eat 300 calories.)

My timing is when I'm hungry. Usually early afternoon and then dinner time. I save about one hundred calories for yogurt before bed. Helps me sleep.

In general, I get the frozen dinners with the most protein in them. Lean Cusine has been the most tasty of the brands. Cafe Steamers are OK. There are some ethnic type frozen dinners, mostly curries, that also work.

My non-fast days are pretty much low carb/high protein/high fat. Not for any health reason. That's simply the way I like to eat.
Image

User avatar
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it
Posts: 7704
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: The Deep Blue Sea

Re: Seeahill looking to rebound

Post by seeahill » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:52 pm

On track
Walking 5 miles, but I've ramped up the speed and do more hills.
Weight 227
I have hit the dreaded plateau. Didn't lose a pound this week. But I'm still sold on the intermittent fasting program. For instance, this week I bought some new clothes, all a size smaller.

And an odd benefit that I didn't anticipate: my blood pressure is going down. Maybe it's the walking. Maybe it's weight loss. Maybe it's fasting. I dunno. But I noticed that when I stopped walking, especially on hills, I'd feel dizzy, faint. That's lisinopril, my BP medication. I feel faint because my BP is too low.

So I stopped taking the medication about three weeks ago. I take my own BP at home. It's in the normal range and has been since I stopped the meds. (Yes, I'll check with my doc on this). But it's odd. I've always had high BP. In college, when I swam varsity, the University made me take a physical every year. The first year, they made me come back to test my BP a second time. Too high. I wouldn't be allowed to compete, which meant no more scholarship money for me. I learned to sleep right up to the time I had to have my physical. So, back then I wasn't fat, and I was in shape.

Looking at that, I'd have to guess that fasting has helped with BP.
Image

Post Reply