Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Luke Cage

Post by Turdacious »

So far seems like a cross between a blaxploitation flick and something you'd see on the CW. Definitely a strong 70's vibe. Commissioner Burrell is great. Cage is being outshone by most of the major characters so far-- that's not a complaint, it's consistent with the character. Liking it so far and will continue to watch.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Luke Cage

Post by nafod »

I wish he was running for president.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

This thing is like two separate seasons. The first one (1-6) is fantastic. The second series (7-13) starts off great in episode 7 (Alfre Woodard kills it in that one-- IMHO the best episode of the series so far) but starts to come off the rails after that. It becomes like a violent daytime soap trying to (badly) address modern trends in a superhero context with a constantly rotating writing staff.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Turdacious wrote:This thing is like two separate seasons. The first one (1-6) is fantastic. The second series (7-13) starts off great in episode 7 (Alfre Woodard kills it in that one-- IMHO the best episode of the series so far) but starts to come off the rails after that. It becomes like a violent daytime soap trying to (badly) address modern trends in a superhero context with a constantly rotating writing staff.
Just watched episode 1 and liked it primarily because I like the character and the 70's blaxploitation vibe. And the black undercover cop was hot too.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

No yellow silk shirt and cuffed boots...no chrome headband and chain belt...I ain't watching it.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:No yellow silk shirt and cuffed boots...no chrome headband and chain belt.
Don't be so sure about that.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I'm not done with this yet, but, yeah, it kinda veered off, like it was two directors with two different visions.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I'm not done with this yet, but, yeah, it kinda veered off, like it was two directors with two different visions.
They get back to the strength of the series (the villains) in the last two episodes.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

I'm at a little past the halfway point, and I've noted the incongruities mentioned, but I'm still enjoying it immensely.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

WildGorillaMan wrote:I'm at a little past the halfway point, and I've noted the incongruities mentioned, but I'm still enjoying it immensely.
I started tuning out hard once the magic bullets showed up. HE'S NOT GOING TO DIE I DON'T NEED TWO GD EPISODES WHERE THE VIEWER IS SUPPOSED TO WONDER IF HE'S GOING TO DIE.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Just watched the first 2 episodes with the bosswoman and so far I/we enjoyed it.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

finally finished it

the romance between Claire and Cage was really forced, and I think it would have been best if they just left it out.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

This show was fun, but it was a mess.

The show didn't really start doing what it needed to do until the last couple of episodes. The first half of the season was spent establishing that a guy who's super strong and invincible can beat up street thugs. It was entertaining, but reminded me of the need for a Guild of Calamitous Intent.

Then they spend two episodes establishing that alien super bullets exist, and that Luke Cage might actually have a real nemesis (other than Woodard's character).
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Season 2 is out. If you liked season 1, you'll probably like it. New villain has potential. I feel some Greek tragedy comeuppance for Luke in the future.

Episode 2 has a good appearance by Gary Clark Jr.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

I made it through three episodes. Reg Cathey (Wire alum) is amazing. Alfre Woodard's performance couldn't overcome the bad writing.

The Blaxploitation/Days Of Our Lives ratio was weighted too heavily in favor of the soap opera aspects. The kicker for me was when a one armed drunk chick with no super powers beat the shit out of three big dudes with weapons in a barfight. It's like Lena Dunham was one of the screenwriters.

It's like if they made Black Panther fifteen hours long instead of two without adding any real content.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Yeah Marvel on Netflix has been a bust IMO.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:02 pmYeah Marvel on Netflix has been a bust IMO.
Jessica Jones still very strong.

The only other season we've been able to finish is Daredevil season 1. Everything else we dropped out of.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman