Generalised muscle aches

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Generalised muscle aches

Post by Sangoma » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:09 pm

I have noticed recently that my muscles feel sore most of the time. It's one of those things that creep up on you - not waking up one day feeling sick, but rather one day noticing that something is not one hundred percent. Nothing terrible, but generalised aches of light to moderate intensity everywhere, more in the lower body. I am wondering if this is some sort of much spoken about general inflammation. My health is good otherwise.

Has anybody had anything similar? Treatments - diet, reducing/increasing training volume, stretching of some sort, anything else? I slacked off pretty bad after leaning out last year, so here is one area of improvement I can see.

Boris

Re: Generalised muscle aches

Post by Boris » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:21 pm

General lingering soreness/achiness + irritability is the first sign that I'm on a road to overdoing things.

Usually it's a combination of too much work, caffeine, and stress, and not enough sleep/r&r and good food. The solution for me is pretty straightforward - get more sleep, eat/drink better, but what I usually do is keep pounding away until I get sick or have a debilitating migraine for a couple of days which force me to slow down.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:25 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:31 pm

Interestingly, napping is said to be his only real hobby.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:55 pm

Every day but I train BJJ with guys ranging from a couple of years older to as much as 20+ years younger than me. The only time I didn't wake up hurting this year was after 2 solid weeks of no training and maximal sleep. It was fucking terrible. Absorbine/menthol based liniments, heating pads, neoprene sleeves, compression tights, super easy low intensity cardio, drinking as close to a gallon of water a day as I can, and some mobility/flexibility work tossed in here and there are what helps me. But I honestly don't do 90% of that shit regularly. I usually just take a hot shower, utilize a long long long warm up, and take an ass whooping the first round or two while things jump start.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:02 pm

you're old.

all that discomfort will disappear soon enough.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:24 pm

What kind of meds are you on? I think statins, for instance, can do that.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:56 pm

What is your training frequency? More often seems to go in hand with less sore.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:32 pm

You need an epidural this is clearly.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:34 pm

You might be a candidate for a couple week backoff. Long term overtraining, and i am in the Siff Camp of it does exist, can take as long as it took you to get overtrained to detrain. So not hard concept of reducing volume to 60-80% of your normal volume at 60-80% of your loading. Not 60-80% of 1RM, 60-80% of the weights on the bar. Sled dragging, some unloaded hiking, and bodyweight upper body work.

Check sleep, hydration, and stress. When you are in the Valley of training suck, you have to back out, not try running up the next mountain. jmo.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:42 am

Sauna? Hot water immersion? Both might help.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:16 am

Sangoma wrote:I have noticed recently that my muscles feel sore most of the time. It's one of those things that creep up on you - not waking up one day feeling sick, but rather one day noticing that something is not one hundred percent. Nothing terrible, but generalised aches of light to moderate intensity everywhere, more in the lower body. I am wondering if this is some sort of much spoken about general inflammation. My health is good otherwise.

Has anybody had anything similar? Treatments - diet, reducing/increasing training volume, stretching of some sort, anything else? I slacked off pretty bad after leaning out last year, so here is one area of improvement I can see.
dead man walking wrote:you're old.

This young man may be on to something.

Toggle the switch perhaps? Might want to stay active w/o strain for a week or two and see what happens. Walks, qigong, meditate, stretch, eat reasonably well, sleep, whatever suits you. Or, power through it and check back with yourself.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:22 pm

Tart Cherry Capsules from lef.org have helped 2X per day. I can generate massive soreness from eccentric or volume or weird stretching. Fish Oil at 3 grams of combined EPA/DHA per day. Other than that HRT if you are not already.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:38 pm

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
Sangoma wrote:I have noticed recently that my muscles feel sore most of the time. It's one of those things that creep up on you - not waking up one day feeling sick, but rather one day noticing that something is not one hundred percent. Nothing terrible, but generalised aches of light to moderate intensity everywhere, more in the lower body. I am wondering if this is some sort of much spoken about general inflammation. My health is good otherwise.

dead man walking wrote:you're old.

This young man may be on to something.

Toggle the switch perhaps? Might want to stay active w/o strain for a week or two and see what happens. Walks, qigong, meditate, stretch, eat reasonably well, sleep, whatever suits you. Or, power through it and check back with yourself.
perhaps i've previously mentioned this, but i've abandoned lifting anything heavy or pushing myself on the erg or while running. everything is low intensity, moderate duration, get the blood moving, elevate the heart rate a little.

my body doesn't hold up if i try to do more. it has been difficult to admit i'm a worn-out old scrap of leather.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:34 pm

a) be mindful of your recovery factors: eating, sleeping, etc.
b) modulate your activities accordingly. If you don't ease off the throttle every so often your body will do it for you. And you won't like it.
c) invest in some good restoratives, as the Soviets called them.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:45 pm

Best thing I ever did for my shoulder was I hurt my back, which forced me to lay off for 2-3 weeks.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:14 pm

nafod wrote:Best thing I ever did for my shoulder was I hurt my back, which forced me to lay off for 2-3 weeks.

Ain't that the sad fuckin truth.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:52 pm

You fucks, all replies are common sense. Not one of you suggested I am hurting because I am so fucking awesome!

I don't think I am overtraining - I am lazy like fuck. Though I am planning to lean out for the beach season in the next couple of months, which will involve increasing the volume and adding cardio. I also get enough sleep, at least 8 hours a day.

I reckon the answer is along the lines of - tactful - replies hinting at my age. I will give fish oil, Tart Cherry etc. a go. I am a regular sauna user, but haven't done it for a while, so probably should do more of it. I might try a few massage sessions (I've seen a few adverts in Sydney's Red Light District, looks very remedial).

Thanks for replies.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:35 am

So you're lazy and, therefore, think you need to pamper yourself more. Make sure you get your hair tinted and your nails done too.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:00 am

Thud wrote:Make sure you get your hair tinted and your nails done too.
You will not believe it, but few years ago I dyed my hair blond. Female population exposed to it was divided.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:06 am

Sangoma wrote:
You will not believe it, but few years ago I dyed my hair blond. Female population exposed to it was divided.
"Exposed to it"?
Frightening thought.
I meant on your head.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:36 pm

Thud wrote:
Sangoma wrote:
"Exposed to it"?
Frightening thought.
I meant on your head.
Frightening only if you're a female. My thought are IN my head, most of them anyway.

Boris

Post by Boris » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:01 am

Sangoma wrote:You fucks, all replies are common sense. Not one of you suggested I am hurting because I am so fucking awesome!

I don't think I am overtraining - I am lazy like fuck. Though I am planning to lean out for the beach season in the next couple of months, which will involve increasing the volume and adding cardio. I also get enough sleep, at least 8 hours a day.

I reckon the answer is along the lines of - tactful - replies hinting at my age. I will give fish oil, Tart Cherry etc. a go. I am a regular sauna user, but haven't done it for a while, so probably should do more of it. I might try a few massage sessions (I've seen a few adverts in Sydney's Red Light District, looks very remedial).

Thanks for replies.
Wait.. so, you're concluding you are achey because you are old? That's bullshit... Achey from lack of activity, sure, but not from age.

I don't think you are overtraining, but you could be overstressed.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:53 pm

FWIW.....I'm a nearing 50 semi dessicated corpse of a human with typical ortho injuries attesting to a vigorous life including two super shitty. very expensive knees. I'm walking around with the usual list of soft tissue fuckery we all get over time. I'm 5 weeks out from IPL worlds and have been training pretty much nonstop without major deloads since mid June. In that time I have walked off two adductor tears. As of right now and the last 8 weeks I feel fine. I get cripplingly sore for maybe a day after a high volume or high % session but for the most part, I've not had a single major setback. Why?

I try to nap like it's my job (10 minute increments in necessary) and I do absolutely FUCKALL when I'm feeling tired (meet for drinks? NOPE, come over for a BBQ? NOPE, hang out after work and watch the game? NOPE). I take all the restoratives I can stand ([email protected] a week, BPC157, low dose of a hard androgen at 6 weeks out and Pentosan OAW) I use copius amounts of THC tincture to help me sleep at nigth and when I'm remotely hungry I'll drink a pint of heavy cream and eat anything that amuses me.

In short if i were to compare what you're doing to what i'm doing and the way it makes you feel*..I'm guessing you're not doing enough. To combat the effects of having over reached you need to do MORE not less. Overtraining* (see also many diatribes on this subject..I think it's poorly understood) is the result of having not done ENOUGH to train at the level you're attempting. How to balance this?

More frequency with light loads and volumes
More sleep* (this is more important than drugs or food or drugs AND food)
More of the right food
More restoratives -chemical to therapeutic modes like ice/heat/massage
More active attention to doing as little as possible.

In short...You're probably giving too many fucks about the wrong things and not enough fucks about the right things. Right things include.
Training like a man(littlke bit every day) and not some fucking werewolf (once a month leaving yourself naked in a pool of blood)
getting your cardio in
resting like it's your job.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:14 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:FWIW.....I'm a nearing 50 semi dessicated corpse of a human with typical ortho injuries attesting to a vigorous life including two super shitty. very expensive knees. I'm walking around with the usual list of soft tissue fuckery we all get over time. I'm 5 weeks out from IPL worlds and have been training pretty much nonstop without major deloads since mid June. In that time I have walked off two adductor tears. As of right now and the last 8 weeks I feel fine. I get cripplingly sore for maybe a day after a high volume or high % session but for the most part, I've not had a single major setback. Why?

I try to nap like it's my job (10 minute increments in necessary) and I do absolutely FUCKALL when I'm feeling tired (meet for drinks? NOPE, come over for a BBQ? NOPE, hang out after work and watch the game? NOPE). I take all the restoratives I can stand ([email protected] a week, BPC157, low dose of a hard androgen at 6 weeks out and Pentosan OAW) I use copius amounts of THC tincture to help me sleep at nigth and when I'm remotely hungry I'll drink a pint of heavy cream and eat anything that amuses me.

In short if i were to compare what you're doing to what i'm doing and the way it makes you feel*..I'm guessing you're not doing enough. To combat the effects of having over reached you need to do MORE not less. Overtraining* (see also many diatribes on this subject..I think it's poorly understood) is the result of having not done ENOUGH to train at the level you're attempting. How to balance this?

More frequency with light loads and volumes
More sleep* (this is more important than drugs or food or drugs AND food)
More of the right food
More restoratives -chemical to therapeutic modes like ice/heat/massage
More active attention to doing as little as possible.

In short...You're probably giving too many fucks about the wrong things and not enough fucks about the right things. Right things include.
Training like a man(littlke bit every day) and not some fucking werewolf (once a month leaving yourself naked in a pool of blood)
getting your cardio in
resting like it's your job.
=D>
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.