Jack Reacher

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Jack Reacher

Post by powerlifter54 »

As an avid fan of Lee Child's Reacher books, from the author's knowledge of arcane subjects, the hard to guess twists in narrative,the abbreviated approach to hand to hand, and believable bad guys, i was skeptical when Tom Cruise, who even i could dunk on, took on the role. The first movie was a pleasant surprise and pretty close to the character in the book as a slightly ADD, intense, cold and calculating righter of wrongs. Enough so that i looked forward to this second movie.

I should not have. This movie goes down the PC road on everything from enhanced interrogation to womyn's capability in the Military to men's emotions. In the first movie Cruise plays Reacher as Mike Tyson with a West Point Education and in the second movie he plays him as Phil Dunphy with a desire to have Jason Bourne extended fight scenes. Never Go Back is one of the best Books in the series. Movies have to be rewritten a bit to fit in the Big Screen. They shouldn't have bothered.

Even Mens on Film would hate this movie.

1 of 5 stars. Only for the Upper 9th ward scenes in Nola. My old haunts.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Jay

Re: Jack Reacher

Post by Jay »

Goddammit I liked it...

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke »

Fucking love the Reacher books. Read them all at least twice. Even met Lee Child once and got a couple of signed copies.

But can't for the life of me work out why they chose that book for the first movie, or why they just called it 'Jack Reacher'. And even more confused why they chose this story for the sequel.

Topic author
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Jay wrote:Goddammit I liked it...

Read the books. WAY better. In fact as good as it gets in detective fiction.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

To a large degree his sarcasm is carried off well by Tom Cruise. The bar scene in the first film was SO, "Pittsburgh",.. it was frightening. I'll have to view the second just to see how the narrative changed.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Jay

Post by Jay »

powerlifter54 wrote:
Jay wrote:Goddammit I liked it...

Read the books. WAY better. In fact as good as it gets in detective fiction.
I plan to and books are always better than movies... just how it is.

I enjoyed the movie a lot, solid action and solid story.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

It sucked. The books are excellent.
Attachments
ad165327a70593cbad78b0c54204bd17_original.jpg
ad165327a70593cbad78b0c54204bd17_original.jpg (53.39 KiB) Viewed 7067 times
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

I pretty much agree with the original post. Not as good as the first movie. I felt int he first movie, they made better use of Reacher's investigative skills, intelligence, and righter of wrongs. The second movie was simply more of a cookie cutter action flick.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke »

aussie luke wrote:Fucking love the Reacher books. Read them all at least twice. Even met Lee Child once and got a couple of signed copies.

But can't for the life of me work out why they chose that book for the first movie, or why they just called it 'Jack Reacher'. And even more confused why they chose this story for the sequel.
Went and saw it last night. Enjoyed it, but still agree with what I said above - there are loads of the books with way better stories than this one.

*spoiler alert *

Did enjoy that this one had a little bit more of the brutal bits - like killing the guy with his hands then dumping the body straight off the roof just 'cos