Old Man Training

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9806
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 am
Location: Ft. Lauderdale

Re: Old Man Training

Post by TomFurman » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:06 pm

Isaac Hayes Template is good for life, not for peaking. That being said, you are shooting distance from a lot of things using it. I'm incorporating it into the next ebook for at least one variation.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

User avatar
Gav
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2552
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:38 pm

Re: Old Man Training

Post by Gav » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:11 pm

This guy has the strength/mobility mix sorted. For an old guy you could scale the weight way down.


https://www.facebook.com/zilinskasgi/vi ... 537677448/
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

User avatar
johno
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7809
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:36 pm

Re: Old Man Training

Post by johno » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:21 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:You'll note my strategem also allows you access to several demographics.

Thick and delicious skrong girls
Running Pixy Milfs and outdoorsy types
Bored Yoga Mommies
Contemplative hippy chicks
Clappy hands.

OTOH, my stratagem guarantees marital fidelity: dog walks & home workouts alternated with rolling with dudes from the 98188.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19088
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Old Man Training

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:49 pm

johno wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:You'll note my strategem also allows you access to several demographics.

Thick and delicious skrong girls
Running Pixy Milfs and outdoorsy types
Bored Yoga Mommies
Contemplative hippy chicks
Clappy hands.

OTOH, my stratagem guarantees marital fidelity: dog walks & home workouts alternated with rolling with dudes from the 98188.

Don't ask me how I know yours is superior for long term health and wellness.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19088
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Old Man Training

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:24 pm

http://www.kabukistrength.com/five-dire ... at-age-50/
Resistance Training
Get lean/stay lean
Play more on the Floor
Take the stairs/walk whenever and wherever you can
Exercise your mind
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

User avatar
Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 14137
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:32 am
Location: GAWD'S Country
Contact:

Re: Old Man Training

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:53 am

My plan all hinges on throttle control. BJJ as many nights a week as I can squeeze in usually no more than 4, GS 3 days a week, and cardio at least 3 times a week maybe more. I'm leaning away from the bike and more towards the c2 but I also need to run since I'm kicking around doing a ultra distance trail run next year. I need to figure out how to get some more direct strength work in without wrecking myself. So far I'm unsuccessful. Fucking hip and low back are dirty dirty whores. Hopefully the stretches BD shared with me and the ghetto reverse hyper work will help.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

User avatar
johno
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7809
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:36 pm

Re: Old Man Training

Post by johno » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:31 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
johno wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:You'll note my strategem also allows you access to several demographics.

Thick and delicious skrong girls
Running Pixy Milfs and outdoorsy types
Bored Yoga Mommies
Contemplative hippy chicks
Clappy hands.

OTOH, my stratagem guarantees marital fidelity: dog walks & home workouts alternated with rolling with dudes from the 98188.

Don't ask me how I know yours is superior for long term health and wellness.
For sure it won't get me shot while slipping out the back door of Bored Yoga Mommy's casa.

*****

I have not yet figured out how to check my ego during grappling. I can't resist trying to be the guy who can handle anyone. Then I pay in DOMS for the next three days.

My conclusions so far: 1) Maybe trying to be that guy is worth the discomfort. 2) Maybe I should just call & make play dates with the guys who won't wreck me.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1700
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Old Man Training

Post by SubClaw » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:11 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:http://www.kabukistrength.com/five-dire ... at-age-50/
Resistance Training
Get lean/stay lean
Play more on the Floor
Take the stairs/walk whenever and wherever you can
Exercise your mind
BJJ for the motherfucking win!

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1700
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Old Man Training

Post by SubClaw » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:23 am

johno wrote:I have not yet figured out how to check my ego during grappling. I can't resist trying to be the guy who can handle anyone. Then I pay in DOMS for the next three days.

My conclusions so far: 1) Maybe trying to be that guy is worth the discomfort. 2) Maybe I should just call & make play dates with the guys who won't wreck me.
That was also a real problem for me.

Then I spent a couple of weeks at a high performance Judo center as an invitee (my friend was training for the Olympics at that time and I kinda tagged along) and had my ass handed over to me by people half my size who didn't even broke a sweat so, so, so, so many times that I almost quit doing MA forever.

From then on I just accepted my true place in the food chain, stopped giving fucks and continued training in a much relaxed way.

User avatar
Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 14137
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:32 am
Location: GAWD'S Country
Contact:

Re: Old Man Training

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:38 am

Yeah ego is a real motherfucker. I don't sweat most guys but the local college wrestlers are a damn handful. Right now I can weather the storm but they get younger and I keep getting older. Luckily they are few and far between and my usual crew is a bunch of older dudes with jobs and families. As I get older I'll be more picky about my training partners and I'm working on not being stupid when I'm rolling with a gawddamn monster.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 490
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:20 pm

Re: Old Man Training

Post by tonkadtx » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:41 pm

Yeah ego is a real motherfucker. I don't sweat most guys but the local college wrestlers are a damn handful. Right now I can weather the storm but they get younger and I keep getting older. Luckily they are few and far between and my usual crew is a bunch of older dudes with jobs and families. As I get older I'll be more picky about my training partners and I'm working on not being stupid when I'm rolling with a gawddamn monster.
I take a lot of what the Gracies' say with a grain of salt, but there was an article about Helio (trying to find find the article), and how his definition of victory changed as he aged. (Remember Paraphrasing) As a young man, victory was when you destroyed your opponent completely. As a middle aged man victory was if you could stalemate an and possibly occasionally defeat an opponent who is much younger and more physically capable than you. Victory as an old man is the ability to hold off a young and physically capable opponent without them injuring you, basically stalemating and surviving without getting hurt.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6797
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:34 pm

Re: Old Man Training

Post by dead man walking » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:51 pm

at 70, i find myself breaking down if i push anything. so i finally figured out i can't push.

lately i've been working outside a couple hours a day, and for "training" i do some rowing, some lifting, some mobility/stretching almost daily, according to no plan or design.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9806
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 am
Location: Ft. Lauderdale

Re: Old Man Training

Post by TomFurman » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:12 pm

The workout I like the best is running/footwork and Kali stickwork with heavy sticks or pipes. End with stretching and planking.
To keep weight up.. I do multiple joint stuff push push, leg press, lots of swings. Hard to beat swings for heart health and body health.
Daily is a walk of 45 min. Diet is nailed down. I enjoy the food and eat what I need.

For minimum, S & S or AoW are hard to beat with rucking/running/biking or Jits.

Stretching, Mobility, Rolling of course just to feel good. Sleep is 8 hours.

I stay hungry with hot chicks.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

User avatar
odin
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2870
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:20 am

Re: Old Man Training

Post by odin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:50 pm

bit younger than some of you (38) but a hard physical job and 2 small kids erodes my recovery ability... My things;

-diet is increasingly important. WFR is pretty much key. I'm much more comfortable being an ignorant fuck and declining cakes etc these days regardless of the occasion.
-Higher reps most of the time and an upper/lower split are what I keep coming back to
-daily mobility and twice weekly yoga. I may increase the yoga actually.
-lots of low level NEPA.... Footy with the boy, work activities, walks in the park... if you do enough then my point below may not matter...
-steady state low intensity cardio trumps gut busting circuits. Can't emphasise this enough. Crossfit style metcons are an infrequent, short term thing if you absolutely must use them. Maffetone style stuff creates genuine, sustainable and long term healthy adaptations.
-daily meditation
-sleep.... my biggest failing.

Biggest thing though is a thing (or things) you can do recreationally with mates or family. Climbing has fallen off the table of late, but bike rides and hiking with the family in the summer made up for this. It's about making this kind of thing part of a lifestyle.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9806
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 am
Location: Ft. Lauderdale

Re: Old Man Training

Post by TomFurman » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:19 pm

Holland Oates wrote:My plan all hinges on throttle control. BJJ as many nights a week as I can squeeze in usually no more than 4, GS 3 days a week, and cardio at least 3 times a week maybe more. I'm leaning away from the bike and more towards the c2 but I also need to run since I'm kicking around doing a ultra distance trail run next year. I need to figure out how to get some more direct strength work in without wrecking myself. So far I'm unsuccessful. Fucking hip and low back are dirty dirty whores. Hopefully the stretches BD shared with me and the ghetto reverse hyper work will help.
Low Back Formula:
1. One of those Nautilus or whatever, waist twisters with weight stack. Move VERY slow.
2. Racked, Bottoms Up, Kettlebell Carry. One Side at a time. Hits the quadratus on one side, hip on the other.
3. What I call, Surf Dog Hip Pulls. Start in a position of traction. https://www.facebook.com/tom.furman1/vi ... 121539413/
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

User avatar
WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9951
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: Old Man Training

Post by WildGorillaMan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:18 pm

It's said that you're as old as your spine feels. Staying limber really helps pretty much everything else.
Image
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19088
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Old Man Training

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:37 pm

WildGorillaMan wrote:It's said that you're as old as your spine feels. Staying limber really helps pretty much everything else.

That's the salvation of the longbacks.

Those of use with short backs and asses big enough to be seen on google earth don't get weak core problems...but we do get a hell lot of extremity pain. Ankles, Feet, Knees Elbows hands....
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

User avatar
tough old man
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7535
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:43 pm
Location: Hell

Re: Old Man Training

Post by tough old man » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:56 pm

The Motherfucker has a steel penis pump?
Attachments
File_Jun_07_9_44_30_AM_1024x1024.jpg
File_Jun_07_9_44_30_AM_1024x1024.jpg (171.71 KiB) Viewed 6421 times
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury


"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

climber511
Gunny
Posts: 961
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Old Man Training

Post by climber511 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:43 pm

WildGorillaMan wrote:It's said that you're as old as your spine feels. Staying limber really helps pretty much everything else.
In this case I am screwed.
Herniated disks
2 in neck (1964 car wreck) (seldom bother me)
3 in mid back (1964 car wreck) (seldom bother me)
2 in lumbar (more recent) (these are a pain - literally)
2 bulging in low/mid (don't feel anything - just on the MRi)
1 compression fracture (a decade or so ago) - fell down some steps (didn't know I had it until an X-ray one time showed it - then MRi verified it.
Arthritis all over
I have a back "therapy routine" of strengthening - stretching - mobility etc that I do daily that works "most" of the time

Sua Sponte
Gunny
Posts: 548
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:12 am

Re: Old Man Training

Post by Sua Sponte » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:12 am

Nothing much went sideways going from 20's to 30's or from 30's to 40's. Turning 50 started a noticeable decline with the slope getting increasingly worse as I head toward 55 in a few days. Much respect to those of you over 60 who are still rolling, lifting, rucking, whatever.

Key thing I found in weightlifting was reduced intensity. Heavy lifting, even with lowered frequency was out. Found these articles and much useful in them. I don't follow the protocol but substituting the higher rep stuff has worked wonders in keeping me rucking the desert and hills with load for days at a time, map, compass and rifle in hand, dog along for the company.

Another vote for Maffetone-like endurance/aerobic/cardio training. Occasional sprints but hill climbing under load has largely replaced that. This whole set-up works for me now and I expect it to continue for another decade, give or take.

http://imbodybuilding.com/articles/agel ... ing-1/?p=1
http://imbodybuilding.com/articles/agel ... ing-2/?p=2
http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/ageless- ... ning-pt-3/

User avatar
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7910
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:46 pm
Location: TX

Re: Old Man Training

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:32 am

The concept of avoiding grinds as you age cannot be overemphasized.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19088
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Old Man Training

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:57 am

powerlifter54 wrote:The concept of avoiding grinds cannot be overemphasized.

Also true......
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

User avatar
Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5359
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Old Man Training

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:04 am

seeahill wrote:I'll probably go through Elements twice more, then work on doing the movements freestyle. We'll see.
good stuff, i doin some of those (wich i saw on youtube) frogger, bear and monkey.
I do them in each warmup and cooldown.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2675
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:35 pm

Re: Old Man Training

Post by DikTracy6000 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:43 am

Sua Sponte wrote:Nothing much went sideways going from 20's to 30's or from 30's to 40's. Turning 50 started a noticeable decline with the slope getting increasingly worse as I head toward 55 in a few days. Much respect to those of you over 60 who are still rolling, lifting, rucking, whatever.

Key thing I found in weightlifting was reduced intensity. Heavy lifting, even with lowered frequency was out. Found these articles and much useful in them. I don't follow the protocol but substituting the higher rep stuff has worked wonders in keeping me rucking the desert and hills with load for days at a time, map, compass and rifle in hand, dog along for the company.

Another vote for Maffetone-like endurance/aerobic/cardio training. Occasional sprints but hill climbing under load has largely replaced that. This whole set-up works for me now and I expect it to continue for another decade, give or take.

http://imbodybuilding.com/articles/agel ... ing-1/?p=1
http://imbodybuilding.com/articles/agel ... ing-2/?p=2
http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/ageless- ... ning-pt-3/
Great article. The stuff about Starr going to workout with Jack LaLanne in part 4 was kind of eye opening.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6797
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:34 pm

Re: Old Man Training

Post by dead man walking » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:21 pm

here's an example for you old broke dicks:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/04/world ... el-80.html
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Post Reply