Right now I'm drinking

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Re: Right now I'm drinking

Post by Holland Oates »

On a sour kick.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1454125266832.jpg
FB_IMG_1454125266832.jpg (482.6 KiB) Viewed 11188 times
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

cubejockey_81
Lance Cpl.

Post by cubejockey_81 »

I've spent years chasing down great single malts, bourbons, etc...but you know, this stuff really isn't that bad at all. Price lets me drink a bunch of it too.

I only post after three glasses of Glenlivet 18 on the rocks.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I was out on a Bushmills run and my local liquor stores were out. I didn't want to pay for Red Breast and I don't love Jameson so one of the guys at the big time liquor store recommended 2 Gingers.

I wasn't enthused but I was really in the mood for some Irish and his recommendation + the fact that it was pretty cheap and came in a full liter bottle sealed the deal.

If you like a lot of ice and mixers, it might not send up to the dilution. If you want something rich & sophisticated, it's probably not for you.
If you want something cheap and prefer your drinks neat, it goes down smooth and has a nice spiciness. No burn at all.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Man, I forgot about this thread! I just spent a week in northern Vermont and Southern Maine. It was fucking awesome. The beer culture up there has really taken off.

We tried to go to The Alchemist after we landed, got there about 5 minutes before they opened and the line was already 2 hours long and the parking lot was full. I knew I'd be able to find the Heady elsewhere so we left and booked it up to Hill Farmstead and I'm so fuckin glad I did. The place is amazing, we tasted 4 of their pale ales on draft and I bought three different farmhouse-styles in 750s - see bottom pic. While in Vermont I also drank a few Lost Nation goses (awesome), and three different beers from Burlington Brewing Company (Light in the Window, Chasing Rabbits, and It's Complicated Being a Wizard). Burlington Beer Co beers were awesome, they'll be getting big soon.

On the drive from Stowe VT to Portland ME we stopped at Ebenezer's, likely the top beer destination in the world. I had a Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus, a saison or two, and one Belgian stout brewed especially for the pub by De Struise. I didn't get to see the cellar but I imagine it is a goddamn treasure trove by looking at the bottles that were in the fridge. The Gambrinus I bought was replaced immediately.
rosedegambrinus.jpg
rosedegambrinus.jpg (35.19 KiB) Viewed 10840 times
In Portland, ME we hit up a couple breweries- Rising Tide which had an awesome Gose (see bottom pic). We then went to Oxbow which was damn near as good as Hill Farmstead. I drank a few of their grisette variations, a saison, and a farmhouse pale ale (I think). They also serve guest bottles and I was lucky enough to score another Cantillon. The Gueuze this time. This is the second time I've had this beer and it's probably my favorite beer ever.
cantillongueuze.jpg
cantillongueuze.jpg (26.15 KiB) Viewed 10840 times
Here is the load I took home from VT and ME and yes, i realize one of those beers is made in Tahoe but I can't find it around here.
Attachments
Vermont Burrs.jpg
Vermont Burrs.jpg (106.02 KiB) Viewed 10840 times
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

I should add-

I already drank the Foundation IPAs, they were very good. and the Austin Street Lawnmower saison which was fucking awesome. I've been over IPAs for 5 years or so but enjoyed drinking them again, the Heady Topper, Foundation Epiphany and all three hop bombs from Burlington Beer.

Also really like what the northeast is doing with the sours/gose/aged saisons. Some of the west coast sours (lookin at you, Almanac) are just too damn over the top.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

"awesome, awesome, awesome"

... im so white

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Ha! Fuzzy just read through your posts and it so happens my second beer in a month is a hose.

A new brewery here in gawd's country, Prairie Artisan Ales, is doing a lot of sours. And I'm loving them.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Above average IPA but just an average West Coast one.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

louburr
Staff Sergeant

Post by louburr »

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Still the shizzle.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

it's scotch season... chatted up a beverage director at the bar last night and he gave me 6 pretty amazing whisky tasters.

Started with 3 lighter splashes -
Highland Park 18 (super smooth and tons of sherry flavor)
Buichladdich Scottish Barley (my choice for a full pour, very different. No peat. lighter but almost briney. I think similar to Oban)
Balvenie 17 Doublewood (i've had a younger doublewood before. I remember really liking this, but the Laddie was just so interesting i went with that).

Searching for some peat on the second round of tasting
Bowmore 18 (little subtle for my liking)
Bruichladdich Port Charlotte (my choice again, peat is there but not in a gasoline soaked bandaid phenolic assault - looking at you, Laphroaig. it was very smooth in spite of being only 7 years old, or possibly, i was already so many drinks deep that it seemed smoother)
Bruichladdich Octomore (obviously this is by far the best whisky and would have been my choice had I been inclined to shell out for the full pour) Posting this sexy ass bottle even though I didn't buy any.

I'm sold on the Laddie. I am going to pick up one of their bottles the next time I buy an expensive scotch. I would really like to taste that Port Charlotte next to the Lagavulin as that has been my favorite high end Islay since I started drinking scotch.

Also, that Highland Park 18 is just stuck on my brain. I typically don't go for that smoothed out sherry, but it was just really really fuckin good. Would like to put that one next to the Glenfarclas 17 that I finished a few months ago. I hate the packaging of HP and so I'd have never bought that bottle.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Holland Oates wrote:Ha! Fuzzy just read through your posts and it so happens my second beer in a month is a hose.

A new brewery here in gawd's country, Prairie Artisan Ales, is doing a lot of sours. And I'm loving them.
We get some Prarie beers in LA, none of their more interesting ones though. Typically just the Standard (which is good, just not very unique) and the Bomb which i haven't tried. The catfish bottle cap actually served as the top to my steerer for a few months via a Niner bikes YAWYD top cap.
Attachments
howtonoodle.jpg
howtonoodle.jpg (154.59 KiB) Viewed 10559 times

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

I have a Parabola, Stickee Monkey, and Abacus in the fridge. This had been siting on the shelves at the store down the street for weeks, not sure why since all the other limited releases were wink-wink "got somethin in the back type?" of purchases. Figured it just wasn't that great. False. Very good, sweet, desserty, blonde. maybe a little boozy @ 11.8%. i'm gonna buy another one for aging.

I really like Firestone's limited release stuff. Their normal beers??? meh. Besides the Pivo Pils, that's good shit. Oh, and the DBA. So like all their special releases and two year round beers. And I don't really mind 805 i guess. Fuck... and the Opal is a decent saison. I also kind of like the velvet merlin. and.... I've also been cellaring an Agrestic and a Feral One. So uh i guess i kinda like the Firestone beers. Still, not the coolest thing in Paso Robles but the spot in Venice is very welcome.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Oxbow Synthesis is good. This is the most exciting Brewery in Portland ME.
Attachments
IMG_20161031_194900.jpg
IMG_20161031_194900.jpg (262.37 KiB) Viewed 10300 times

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

wrong thred, m8
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Fuck you all, I like this thread and I like seeing what other people drink. Hopefully I'm inspiring the alcoholic in some of you this holiday season. Merry Christmas Week, bitches. This cost $26, it is good. 2007 vintage is out now; bottled in 2016.

I really need another easily sourced "wheater" though.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

I got three bottles of Calvados as a gift a year ago and by the end of the second bottle I wasn't drinking anything else. This is current bottle

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

pricey (for me!) but very nice Happy Solstice!

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

AND VACATION STARTS.

No pictures but I am drinking:
Hot Rum Coffee
- Hot coffee (I'm using a french roast. Prefer something smoother, but it is what I have)
- 1 shot Kahlua
- 1 shot dark rum (using a Bacardi 8 year. Bit of overkill for this, but it is a great rum)
- Splash of vanilla creamer
- dash of cinnamon
This is a great drink. I am going to have one more.

Later tonight I will have a couple of Manhattans.
On the rock (big chunk of ice)
- 1 shot Martini Rossi
- 2 shots Dickel Rye
- 1 strong shake Angostra bitters
Stir well and give it plenty of time to chill and dilute a bit.

And that will be my evening.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

newguy wrote:AND VACATION STARTS.

Hot Rum Coffee
- Hot coffee (I'm using a french roast. Prefer something smoother, but it is what I have)
- 1 shot Kahlua
- 1 shot dark rum (using a Bacardi 8 year. Bit of overkill for this, but it is a great rum)
- dash of cinnamon

- 1 shot Martini Rossi
- 2 shots Dickel Rye

Yes! Need more hot drinks. what else you got? I have a bottle of Kahlua and some E&J that my wife bought for cooking at least a year ago... i bet I could do something with those.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:

Hot Rum Coffee
- 1 shot Kahlua
- dash of cinnamon

- 1 shot Martini Rossi
- 2 shots Dickel Rye

Yes! Need more hot drinks. what else you got? I have a bottle of Kahlua and some E&J that my wife bought for cooking at least a year ago... i bet I could do something with those.
E&J - what kind?
Looking at brandy, I would experiment with a hot cider and brandy mix. Hot apple cider, some cinnamon sticks and brandy. But why go level nine when you can take it to eleven. Maybe figure out some measure of mixing bourbon and brandy. Why not?

Kahlua - anything coffee based will work. Another idea that I am going to be trying these holidays is a hot white russian of some sort.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

newguy wrote:
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:

Hot Rum Coffee
- 1 shot Kahlua
- dash of cinnamon

- 1 shot Martini Rossi
- 2 shots Dickel Rye

E&J - what kind?
Looking at brandy, I would experiment with a hot cider and brandy mix. Hot apple cider, some cinnamon sticks and brandy. But why go level nine when you can take it to eleven. Maybe figure out some measure of mixing bourbon and brandy. Why not?

Kahlua - anything coffee based will work. Another idea that I am going to be trying these holidays is a hot white russian of some sort.
It's E&J VSOP, probably should be poured down the drain. Or mixed with ginger ale the next time i need to get day drunk, rip a bunch of marlboro reds and sing biggie at the top of my lungs to nobody's but my own amusement.

Hot white russian sounds good; the lazy man in me plans to just go get a flat white at starbucks and pour in some vodka and kahlua.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

I have been holding this one for a little while - it was one of the better Almanacs I've had.

Tangerine, a little brett-y, very mild hops. Not too sour, definitely didn't have that overly vomit-like funk that some of these Almanac Farmer's Reserves have. Worth the 11 bucks... probably not.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I think I'm developing a taste for farmhouse ales. This is by Boulevard.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Just drink normal beer you gunts. Like what I am drinking.
th (9).jpg
th (9).jpg (17.82 KiB) Viewed 9895 times