Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

What beneficial thing aren't you doing?

Post by Bram » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:27 pm

More mobility?

Rest weeks?

Cardio? Diet? Hypertrophy? Anything.
"Therefore, the sage does not fail in anything since he does nothing; Does not lose anything since he holds nothing. Therefore, the sage's desire is to have no desire." - Lao Tzu

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: What beneficial thing aren't you doing?

Post by Bram » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:27 pm

I'd say mobility and enough sleep.

I'll be adding mobility back in, in the form of a ten minute dynamic warmup, a minimum of once a week.

With sleep, I struggle with the early bed time. Haven't found the correct motivator.
"Therefore, the sage does not fail in anything since he does nothing; Does not lose anything since he holds nothing. Therefore, the sage's desire is to have no desire." - Lao Tzu

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:31 pm

Stretching and sleep. Sleep especially. Getting 2-3 hrs a day is absolutely atrocious.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:41 pm

Bram wrote:I'll be adding mobility back in, in the form of a ten minute dynamic warmup, a minimum of once a week.
10 minutes once a week--is that enough to accomplish anything?
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:14 pm

dead man walking wrote:
Bram wrote:I'll be adding mobility back in, in the form of a ten minute dynamic warmup, a minimum of once a week.
10 minutes once a week--is that enough to accomplish anything?
I already stretch after every workout for 15 minutes, and usually do a little dynamic stuff before surfing.

It's there mainly to make me a bit more fluid in my movements - like Trump on a Russian hooker. For someone else, probably 3 days a week would be appropriate.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:41 pm

Eating less, moving more. Trying to get back on track this week. The eating thing is tough, but getting there. Just trying to have one official "workout" a day and walk more at this point.

And I really need to see my chiropractor.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:02 am

Syaigh, when you've been successful with eating less in the past, what did you do? Same thing as now?

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:42 am

I'm moving toward a more well rounded approach to my fitness, as opposed to the goal oriented stuff I usually chase with the erg or running. I'm liking the Isaak Hayes stuff from Furman. A day of cardio focus, a day of strength focus, and a day of movement focus. This will make me take a day and do my mobility/yoga, which is usually the first thing that gets canned when I'm short of time, like now.

I'm getting back to a little running after not running a step in over two years due to a hip injury. I love to run, so I'm hoping being able to get out for some fresh air will improve my outlook. And I'm hoping keeping the strength and mobility in there will keep my from getting hurt again.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:08 am

Eating less, getting more sleep. Motivation to do the physical work always been the easy part.

Boris

Post by Boris » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:28 am

Right now, my problem is eating junk and drinking too much caffeine (leftover bad habits from the holidays).

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:42 am

What beneficial shit am I doing is a better question

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:56 am

You spend time on facebook steven.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:58 am

Bikram
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:30 am

Not focusing enough on mobility and quality sleep
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:43 am

Not doing any mobility/flexibility stuff and eating too much sugar recently.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:02 am

I need to go outdoors way more often.

terra

Post by terra » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:07 am

At the moment, Yoga.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:50 pm

I've let going to yoga slide. I still stretch before, during, and after lifting, but I miss the impact of an hour-long yoga session. I need to get my shit together and start going again.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:33 pm

Bram wrote:Syaigh, when you've been successful with eating less in the past, what did you do? Same thing as now?

Same thing. Prioritize protein at every meal. Cluster calories around active times. Eat less in the evening. Eat more vegetables. So, basically i remove (or replace with vegetables) the extra calories around the times I dont need them. If im training in the morning, i eat a good sized breakfast and lunch. Might fast for dinner or eat very light. On non training or cardio/activity only days, everything is very clean and/or i fast. I dont get there overnight of course. This week, im cutting out all extra food and paring down my dinners. Also thinking about my protein sources. When you prioritize protein, its hard to overeat (most of the time anyway).
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:29 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:What beneficial shit am I doing is a better question
^

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Started a running program. Very gradual. Weather is perfect now.. so it's a good thing.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:17 pm

syaigh wrote:
Bram wrote:Syaigh, when you've been successful with eating less in the past, what did you do? Same thing as now?

Same thing. Prioritize protein at every meal. Cluster calories around active times. Eat less in the evening. Eat more vegetables. So, basically i remove (or replace with vegetables) the extra calories around the times I dont need them. If im training in the morning, i eat a good sized breakfast and lunch. Might fast for dinner or eat very light. On non training or cardio/activity only days, everything is very clean and/or i fast. I dont get there overnight of course. This week, im cutting out all extra food and paring down my dinners. Also thinking about my protein sources. When you prioritize protein, its hard to overeat (most of the time anyway).
Frutarian/vegetarian until dinner usually works well too. Can't remember who, on this forum, said it.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:40 pm

Over the holidays I let it slide, but striving to eat 2lbs (so really, at least 1lb a day, more is good) of green veggies a day, as PC suggested makes a big difference.

I have no trouble eating enough protein, and it's not as if I had no veggies on the daily, but pushing up the veggie eating psuhes snacking on less wholesome items off to the side. And it means eating less starchy carbs, which means fewer calories overall.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:49 pm

Just for reference, WGM, what does that look like.

Easily I can get 4-6 cups of greens, usually broccoli, sometimes the kale, chard, spinach blend, 2 cups of frozen mixed berries, in blender drinks, and sometimes 2-3 additional pieces of fruit and maybe a salad if I push it...most days it's just one smoothie in the morning

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:03 pm

Competing.

I miss the laser like focusing of my training and the impending accountability that my total and placing would bring.

I miss the rush of being called on the platform and the time compression and complete reliance on my training and heart in those moments.

I even miss the horrible, sickening feeling of losing or even worse screwing up my training or attempts.

But I don't miss the self centeredness it took to compete at that level or the willingness to literally tear myself apart to make a lift.

Working on the last thing.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex