Mountain Bike Thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Mountain Bike Thread

Post by Bram »

Mickey O'neil wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
That will be a fuckton of fun. Congrats.
Yes it will.
Thanks guys :)

I got scammed off of craigslist, the guy sold me a kids mountain bike at double the price of it new - I look like a circus bear on this tiny thing.

It serves me right, I'm always trying to list things on craigslist for too much money, I deserved to take the bait.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Bram wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Yes it will.

I got scammed off of craigslist, the guy sold me a kids mountain bike at double the price of it new - I look like a circus bear on this tiny thing.
Sell it to Mickey
Don’t believe everything you think.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

nafod wrote:
Bram wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Yes it will.

Sell it to Mickey
SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!!!!!

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

this thread is a caricature of everything wrong with 21st century man

bicycling was cool when you were 12

now? you're just a weirdo spending $1000 to piss everyone else off on your way to some sick jumps
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Bram wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Yes it will.

It serves me right, I'm always trying to list things on craigslist for too much money, I deserved to take the bait.
You tryin to resell it now?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/bi ... 35811.html
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Bram wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Yes it will.

TBF, most adults riding BMX cruisers look like a monkey fucking a football...that's not really the point, the frame on this one doesn't look to be any different geometry wise for ones markets to grups. I'd swap bars out and pedals but other than that, seems legit
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

I'm 6'5. I want to get one now. I had a webco as a kid. Weighed near a hundred pounds.
webco3.jpg
webco3.jpg (96.32 KiB) Viewed 10238 times

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

I only had one bike after the one with training wheels until i bought the Mariachi and it was this '93 Dyno Compe

I had no idea this bike was so ridiculous looking and i didn't even have those sweet plastic mag wheels

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Mine had heavy ass mag wheels. HahahahH

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Bram wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Yes it will.

TBF, most adults riding BMX cruisers look like a monkey fucking a football...that's not really the point, the frame on this one doesn't look to be any different geometry wise for ones markets to grups. I'd swap bars out and pedals but other than that, seems legit
A bike with a Mongoose badge screams 'not worth stealing,' and upgrading bars and pedals are easy enough to do for a non bike mechanic. For city riding, I'm far more likely to want to slap a guy riding clipped than the guy riding a Wallyworld bike.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Bram wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Yes it will.

Fuzzy, I'm selling it in San Diego for 99$ - already built it. BD, it's goddamn tiny. I had a 24" GT cruiser and it felt significantly larger framed than this infant thing. It could be the bars to a degree, but still. I think the next experiment in this will be a regular single-speed mountain bike with front and rear brakes, not sure of the frame size, but no more buying things out of the box.

BTW, I found my stolen bike unlocked and tossed a lock on it. So that's damn good news.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

I must admit, I love my on-one SS.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Shape, you ever get that belt drive Spot replacement frame? I'm curious to see what you think, since I'm looking at a belt drive single speed for my commuter replacement.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

AEN, yes I did. I got it last Friday at the end of the day. I put it together and did about 20 trips around the block trying to sort it out. It was cold and rainy and dark so I didn't take off on it. We went out of town Saturday and Sunday plus it rained all fucking day when we got back last night. So I just got back a little while ago...did about 8 miles on it. I'm blown away really. I'm in decent condition with rowing, running and some regular lifting but I'm not in bike shape. This thing felt like a rocket...drive is immediate. I'm a little bit bummed that I didn't think about this sooner. The bike is very quiet...the only thing to hear is the tires. I impulsed purchased some platform pedals Friday morning since it's been a long time since I rode anything clipped in. I can't wait for a full day to fuck around with this thing. I spun out a lot on it but that's just me trying to figure it out. I couldn't be happier with it.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Bram wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Bram wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Yes it will.

Fuzzy, I'm selling it in San Diego for 99$ - already built it. BD, it's goddamn tiny. I had a 24" GT cruiser and it felt significantly larger framed than this infant thing. It could be the bars to a degree, but still. I think the next experiment in this will be a regular single-speed mountain bike with front and rear brakes, not sure of the frame size, but no more buying things out of the box.

BTW, I found my stolen bike unlocked and tossed a lock on it. So that's damn good news.
Fuck yeah :supz: Must be nice to find!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I just took a look at this. Holy shit that looks like a fun trail!
Bram wrote:About a month ago I rode the Camp Tamarancho trail in Marin. This is the flow trail section aka Endor. I was on a borrowed 29er and rode like a little bitch.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFeoHXDyeU8[/youtube]

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Mickey O'neil wrote:I just took a look at this. Holy shit that looks like a fun trail!
Bram wrote:About a month ago I rode the Camp Tamarancho trail in Marin. This is the flow trail section aka Endor. I was on a borrowed 29er and rode like a little bitch.

Woof...That's some serious rigid bike flow heaven right there. Very similar to one of our local gems, Devils Gulch/Mission Ridge.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:I just took a look at this. Holy shit that looks like a fun trail!

Woof...That's some serious rigid bike flow heaven right there. Very similar to one of our local gems, Devils Gulch/Mission Ridge.
Damn that looks fun as hell. Reminds me of the "Florence" flow trail at Cady Hill in Stowe VT which was a blast! Very bikepark-y There is nothing like this around LA (that I've found so far). Much more just steep, chunky gnar. One flowy trail in a nearby canyon with some berms but it's a fairly gradual slope.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
BD, you ever make up to Galbraith? That's my old haunt from my Bellingham days. Heard they closed it for a while but it's back open to cyclists again.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Evidently that flow trail is a major destination spot for mountain bikers, perhaps there's a faster route, but it took me and my friends easily 90 minutes to get to the trail head of it. The whole park was beautiful though.

Nothing I know like that in San Diego. But even more fun for me was the Boulder Mountain Bike park...I spent 6 hours over 2 days riding the slalom course, pump tracks, corkscrew track.....super fun.

[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5NAPurSWId8[/youtube]

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
BD, you ever make up to Galbraith? That's my old haunt from my Bellingham days. Heard they closed it for a while but it's back open to cyclists again.

Lots of times. I haven't been back in several years but I have very fond memories of KunG Fu Theater...about the only one of those you can really exploit on a rigid bike. You ever ride the 300Exit In Stanwood...creepy old treefarm?

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

This thread is even funnier if it's serious and isn't actually tooling on bmx bandit adults.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

GO AWAY, REEEEEEEEEEEEANT.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Wait a sec I didn't even think of this...is Benji69 actually Rant? He's somehow got past Mario's Level 12, Mission Impossible encryption?

It does explain a lot...or could he be a reborn Kaj?