Mountain Bike Thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Re: Mountain Bike Thread

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

I also just recently cracked thw Paul Components stem, hopefully he's cool about replacement. I already bought a 50mm Spank Oozy to replace and really like how it handles.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Riotboo and Mickey, both you guys have one ring in the front? How many rings on the back?
Don’t believe everything you think.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Thanks! It pedals awesome! My last bike was fun but my new one is a whole world of difference! I have no complaints at all. Climbs and descends well! The only drawback is the more frequent pedal strikes. I'm not going to complain too much though, since the low bottom bracket is what gives it it's playfulness and quickness. Just a matter of getting used to.
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:Sweet Transition Mic!

125/140 seems like the sweet spot. How's it pedal? I demo'd a Salsa Pony Rustler a few mos ago 150/150 i think... Was a bitch to climb with.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Mine is a 1X11. SRAM GX 1X11 to be specific. 1X has been the go to for the last few years.
nafod wrote:Riotboo and Mickey, both you guys have one ring in the front? How many rings on the back?

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

same as micks. Took about a week to get used to it coming from a 3 x 9 on my old scott spark.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Riotboo are you really riding that Juliana?

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

yes. lucked out and found an xs actually in shop.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

riotboo wrote:yes. lucked out and found an xs actually in shop.
Could not find a regular XS Santa Cruz? Im confused.

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

don't judge.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Not judging... You could just throw some stickers over the logo or somethin tho

Is the geo altered for females?

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

Is the geo altered for females?
no.

The shock and fork tuning are for lighter weights, and a different saddle. They was a discussion today on pink bike since santacruz just released a new upgraded Nomad. Several guys liked the Juliana version strega' better.

Spoiler: show
I'm a 5 ft tall woman, hence the xs woman's bike

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

It allllll makes sense!

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

riotboo wrote: I'm a 5 ft tall woman, hence the xs woman's bike

tits or gtfo \:D/

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Buddy of mine texted me about buying a Yeti SB5.5, told him he should also try to demo Santa Cruz, Evil, Ibis, BMC. I miss anything? He's in Austin, I already told him that all of these were probably unnecessary.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:48 pm Buddy of mine texted me about buying a Yeti SB5.5, told him he should also try to demo Santa Cruz, Evil, Ibis, BMC. I miss anything? He's in Austin, I already told him that all of these were probably unnecessary.
Damn bike suspension has come a long way. I remember when a bike like that was pretty much a down hill bike. Try and pedal it and it'd squish like jello. Now people are riding these things on regular trails and a true lift ticket bike looks like a motocross motorcycle.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:48 am
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:48 pm Buddy of mine texted me about buying a Yeti SB5.5, told him he should also try to demo Santa Cruz, Evil, Ibis, BMC. I miss anything? He's in Austin, I already told him that all of these were probably unnecessary.
Damn bike suspension has come a long way. I remember when a bike like that was pretty much a down hill bike. Try and pedal it and it'd squish like jello. Now people are riding these things on regular trails and a true lift ticket bike looks like a motocross motorcycle.
That's not even their "enduro" bike either, the SB6 is even squishier and those guys have to pedal like 5-7000 feet.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:03 am
Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:48 am
That's not even their "enduro" bike either, the SB6 is even squishier and those guys have to pedal like 5-7000 feet.
I love my Transition Scout. It's a fun, snappy, trail bike. Perfect for how I ride; really aggressive trail riding, hitting every drop and jump I can, popping of rocks, etc. I was obsessed with the SC 5010 and was planning on getting one but for the price I got my bike for it didn't come close in regards to the build. Didn't even come with a dropper post! If I'm spending $3k to $3.5k I expect more than that. My other choice was going to be the Kona Process 134dl. The owner/head mechanic at the shop where I take my bike (they are a Kona dealer among others) has one and loves it. I actually tried to buy his and he wouldn't sell. At one time I really wanted a Yeti but they are out of my price range. Same with the Evil. The Evil Calling is a sweet bike. Giant probably has the best bang for buck when it comes to the build kit. YT is right there with it as well. The Capra is their enduro type bike and the Jeffsy is their trail bike and comes 27.5 or 29. I've been hearing a lot about the Jeffsy. They are a direct order company and have been getting some great reviews.

Also, a couple of friends who work in the bike industry have just recently both bought Devinci bikes. One got a Django and the other got a Troy. They both work for Performance Bikes. The one with the Django was a bike mechanic then manager of a Specialized store. He had a 2016 Stumpy Evo previously and a SC 5010 before that. He says the Django is the most fun bike he's ever ridden.

What kind of riding is your friend planning on doing? How much travel is he wanting? How much does he need?

EDIT: Just saw where you said he was in Austin. He probably doesn't need a great deal of travel. Mine has 125mm rear, 140mm front and is fine for where I live even with hitting jumps and drops. I was bottoming out a couple of times a ride when I first got it but, as I stated earlier, I put a couple of bands in the shock and a couple of tokens in the fork and it has been perfect since then. And when I say I hit jumps and drops, I'm talking in the 3-6 foot range. The guys said I would even be fine at the bike park this summer when I take it to the mountains on the family camping vacation.

He might want to look at the SC Hightower and Tallboy or the YT Jeffsy 29er. The Yeti SB55 is a great bike too though. I've been hearing a lot of good things about Pivot bikes as well.

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

just ordered a sram gx eagle 12 speed drive train for my Juliana
...will report back once its installed.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

riotboo wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:22 pm just ordered a sram gx eagle 12 speed drive train for my Juliana
Looking forward to some real world feedback.
That cassette looks crazy.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I'm planning on upgrading my GX 1x11 to an eagle at some point.
Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:46 pm
riotboo wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:22 pm just ordered a sram gx eagle 12 speed drive train for my Juliana
Looking forward to some real world feedback.
That cassette looks crazy.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Eagle report?!!!

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

backorder purgatory

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

strike one...the gx cassette was defective and had to be reordered.

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

Finally got it 2 days before Christmas. Have only been able to hit trails close to the house due to family/holidays and the weather.

I like it so far. I have only managed to get it on the big ring once and that was just seeing what it was like. Haven't run out of gears yet. Definitely need a light touch on the down shifting. The only thing I wished I would have done differently is ordered an X0 cassette when the 1st GX one came in defective.

Should be fun when I can get to fats or DuPont. Went ahead and had a full tune up and shock/fork recondition. Feels like a new bike

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Bump
Need Pisgah knowledges. Heading down Thursday to ride Black mtn, Bennet, etc. Any comments? I'll be renting a big bike.

my current ride is an RSD Sergeant, 27.5+ built frame up. Hadley hubs, wtb scrapers, XT/Zee, fox 34. Love it. Rode it SS for a year or so, put a 1x11 on last year.