Pocket Knife Recommendations

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Pocket Knife Recommendations

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I've been a pretty big advocate of going cheap on carry knives with decent steel and putting a good edge on them. I've forgotten to check a knife in an airport a couple times, and while some airports will let you ship the knife back to yourself, it's not standard and not cheap. Easier to have something you can just give/throw away or lose without minding. Losing a Gerber would suck.

Sweethome is the home product version of the Wirecutter, and they did a survey of knife experts/forums/etc. and came up with some solid-looking recommendations, cheap enough to keep multiples in desk drawers or at work:

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-pocket-knife/
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

JimZipCode

Re: Pocket Knife Recommendations

Post by JimZipCode »

Never thought I needed a carry knife before, but those look cool. Want.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:46 pmSweethome is the home product version of the Wirecutter, and they did a survey of knife experts/forums/etc. and came up with some solid-looking recommendations
Whoa, they did Toaster Ovens. I just bought one a couple days ago, Amazon delivered yesterday.

At first I thought I was going to have a facepalm moment. But I think they missed a trick, not reviewing what I got: a mini version of their runner-up, at about the same size and for about the same price as their winner.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Their reviews by and large are super solid.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

My daily. 29 bucks from Amazon. Bulletproof, holds a great edge, less than 4 inches, single edged, no auto, gravity, or handle drop (all requirements for NY).

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Tanto ... l+pro-lite

I gave up on expensive knives a long time ago.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

tonkadtx wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:04 am My daily. 29 bucks from Amazon. Bulletproof, holds a great edge, less than 4 inches, single edged, no auto, gravity, or handle drop (all requirements for NY).

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Tanto ... l+pro-lite

I gave up on expensive knives a long time ago.
I agree. There are plenty of good knives that are quite cheap. Conversely, plenty of expensive ones that are crap.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I keep forgetting The Sweethome and Amazon Warehouse Deals to my own detriment.

Everyday carry in jeans or cargo pants is the Leatherman Skeletool. Does enough stuff and like the combo straight/serrated edge, the tools, and the ability to attach via pocket clip or carabiner clip. Feature most used has been the bottle opener. Blade opens easily w/one hand and locks which is essential for me. Looks like they're about $60 on line but I paid around $30 at Home Depot last Christmas.

#2 knife when the Skeletool is too much is the Blade-Tech Mouse. Small (3" closed), sturdy, easy to open, and locks back. <$40. Have given one up to TSA because I forgot it was in that small pocket in a pair of packed jeans.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 »

A friend gave me a griptilian. It is a quality knife that will last a long time under a lot of abuse. It is a bit larger (bigger profile grip) than the other knives I usually carry.
I like small, easy to conceal and carry knives. I have carried one of these two for the past couple years and for $25-30, I don't mind if I lose them. The "urban survival" model is a bit hard to open but otherwise decent. I really like the feel of the Subcom and it has held up to abuse.

I like the look of the Drifter and may pick one up. Thanks for posting the review.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

Other than opening a hard to tear plastic snack wrapper now and again, what do you guys use a knife for on such a regular basis that you need to carry daily?

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Thud wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:49 pm Other than opening a hard to tear plastic snack wrapper now and again, what do you guys use a knife for on such a regular basis that you need to carry daily?
I use mine to open the hard plastic packaging on on all the other knives I buy.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Thud wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:49 pm Other than opening a hard to tear plastic snack wrapper now and again, what do you guys use a knife for on such a regular basis that you need to carry daily?
I've got almost as many multi tools as reading glasses, and like reading glasses they are spread around the typical places I inhabit. The eternal ideal birthday and Christmas gift. Knife, screwdriver, pliers, file all got busy use.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

We get a lot more amazon shipments at home/work than we used to, particularly subscription stuff for the lil man. Opening/breaking down things is handy. however, it's a hassle keeping one in your pocket if they're even a little bulky or heavy. Their cheap pick you can keep three of in various places.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

Sure, I keep some nifty box cutters I get in 3-packs from home depot in the car, kitchen, garage, office, etc. Totally get that. But between the car fob, keys, phone, wallet, and my positively massive micro-penis, who wants another bulge in their pants?

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Thud wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:34 am Sure, I keep some nifty box cutters I get in 3-packs from home depot in the car, kitchen, garage, office, etc. Totally get that. But between the car fob, keys, phone, wallet, and my positively massive micro-penis, who wants another bulge in their pants?
reddit.com/r/edc for the rabbit hole.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Along with a pocket knife I carry a small socket set, both metric and standard, and a full set of allen wrenches and a set of torx bits too along with some various length screw drivers both flat head a phillips. This is why I wear cargo shorts wherever I go...they carry my stuff while I work on making new friends.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Don’t believe everything you think.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

Shapecharge wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:57 pm Along with a pocket knife I carry a small socket set, both metric and standard, and a full set of allen wrenches and a set of torx bits too along with some various length screw drivers both flat head a phillips. This is why I wear cargo shorts wherever I go...they carry my stuff while I work on making new friends.
I do the same plus a sawzall on sling across my back

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Good idea Perv Ima gonna look into that along with that sweet knife the gay aviator posted then I should be set.

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

Other than opening a hard to tear plastic snack wrapper now and again, what do you guys use a knife for on such a regular basis that you need to carry daily?
This week alone - twine, surgical tubing (practice/demo), and a bunch of boxes.

Also, I don't go anywhere unarmed. I'm not saying that like, "ho, I'm a tough guy!". I just don't, based on personal life experience. In all honesty, I would rather carry a gun (obviously), or an asp baton (more immediate stopping power than a knife), but in NY both are absolutely verboten. Good luck getting a carry permit unless you are politically juiced.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Byrd Cara Cara 2-- good quality and a low enough price it won't break your heart if you lose one.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

tonkadtx wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:19 amor an asp baton (more immediate stopping power than a knife)
Huh, now there's an idea. Wonder if they're legal in MD.

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

I ended up getting both their regular and budget pick. both are way nicer than I expected.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Pop Mechanics also did a feature, in August. Sweethome's winning brand made their list with a couple products, but I think not the exact model:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/to ... ket-knives

They also did multitools. Donk's Skeletool gets a mention:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/to ... multitools

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

JimZipCode wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:04 am
tonkadtx wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:19 amor an asp baton (more immediate stopping power than a knife)
Huh, now there's an idea. Wonder if they're legal in MD.
Here's the answer in flowchart form.
Is it useful for self defense?
No-- Legal in DC and MD
Yes- Either not legal or requires a five year permitting process in DC and MD
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

JimZipCode wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:28 pm Pop Mechanics also did a feature, in August. Sweethome's winning brand made their list with a couple products, but I think not the exact model:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/to ... ket-knives

They also did multitools. Donk's Skeletool gets a mention:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/to ... multitools
that's advertising copy. all the major brands are mentioned, and advertisers buy space.

for every real magazine article, there are about half a dozen ad promos masquerading as info. it's your basic devil's bargain.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.