Trumpling the Truth

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: Trumpling the Truth

Post by Turdacious »

JimZipCode wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:24 pm
Turdacious wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:58 amhttp://freebeacon.com/issues/house-bloc ... orfeiture/
Keep it going.
This Congress might surprise me.

How on earth has civil forfeiture survived a Constitutional challenge? Has one not been attempted, for some reason?
Attempted on multiple occasions and failed. AFAIK the only SCOTUS judge that even questions it is Clarence Thomas.

IMHO it's caused another problem: poor cities and PDs have gotten hooked on it as a revenue source.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Turdacious wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:52 pmAttempted on multiple occasions and failed. AFAIK the only SCOTUS judge that even questions it is Clarence Thomas.
That makes zero sense to me. It's an unambiguous 5th amendment violation, right? I mean, clear black-letter explicit text. Doesn't seem to be any nuance or sublety.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

JimZipCode wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:46 pm
Turdacious wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:52 pmAttempted on multiple occasions and failed. AFAIK the only SCOTUS judge that even questions it is Clarence Thomas.
That makes zero sense to me. It's an unambiguous 5th amendment violation, right? I mean, clear black-letter explicit text. Doesn't seem to be any nuance or sublety.
It generally doesn't affect suburban middle class people in nice neighborhoods, so no.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Turdacious wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:04 pmIt generally doesn't affect suburban middle class people in nice neighborhoods, so no.
My outrage here is mostly theoretical.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Shortly after learning in May that a special counsel had been appointed to investigate links between his campaign associates and Russia, President Trump berated Attorney General Jeff Sessions in an Oval Office meeting and said he should resign, according to current and former administration officials and others briefed on the matter.

The president attributed the appointment of the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, to Mr. Sessions’s decision to recuse himself from the Justice Department’s Russia investigation — a move Mr. Trump believes was the moment his administration effectively lost control over the inquiry. Accusing Mr. Sessions of “disloyalty,” Mr. Trump unleashed a string of insults on his attorney general.

Ashen and emotional, Mr. Sessions told the president he would quit and sent a resignation letter to the White House, according to four people who were told details of the meeting. Mr. Sessions would later tell associates that the demeaning way the president addressed him was the most humiliating experience in decades of public life.

The Oval Office meeting, details of which have not previously been reported, shows the intensity of Mr. Trump’s emotions as the Russia investigation gained steam and how he appeared to immediately see Mr. Mueller’s appointment as a looming problem for his administration. It also illustrates the depth of antipathy Mr. Trump has had for Mr. Sessions — one of his earliest campaign supporters — and how the president interprets “disloyalty” within his circle of advisers.

Mr. Trump ended up rejecting Mr. Sessions’s May resignation letter after senior members of his administration argued that dismissing the attorney general would only create more problems for a president who had already fired an F.B.I. director and a national security adviser. Mr. Trump once again, in July, told aides he wanted to remove Mr. Sessions, but for a second time didn’t take action.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/14/us/p ... trump.html
Not a good look for either of them.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

JimZipCode wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:39 am
Turdacious wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:04 pmIt generally doesn't affect suburban middle class people in nice neighborhoods, so no.
My outrage here is mostly theoretical.
More food for your theoretical outrage. More correctly, 2X outrage because he was fucked with because he wouldn't give the popo his cell phone passcode.
Outrage food here.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

DrDonkeyLove wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:22 pmMore food for your theoretical outrage. More correctly, 2X outrage because he was fucked with because he wouldn't give the popo his cell phone passcode.
Outrage food here.
I'm torn between getting a good simmer going, or arbitrarily selecting not to champion this guy's dignity because he's a gun nut.

It's a real Scylla and Charybdis.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Price is out. HHS now lacks a secretary and a deputy.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

The best people.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Time to make a spot for Baron or Tiffany?
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

To be fair, federal travel policy hasn't been updated since the Obama administration, and the administration didn't get around to selecting a nominee for GSA administrator until earlier this month. Not to give Price a free pass (because he should have known better), but he was following rules that nobody in the administration seemed to want to change.
https://www.gsa.gov/policy-regulations/ ... lation-ftr
https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc/ne ... t-gs-78529

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Turdacious wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:32 am To be fair, federal travel policy hasn't been updated since the Obama administration, and the administration didn't get around to selecting a nominee for GSA administrator until earlier this month. Not to give Price a free pass (because he should have known better), but he was following rules that nobody in the administration seemed to want to change.
She gets to oversee Trump's lease of the post office building to Trump.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:14 pm
Turdacious wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:32 am To be fair, federal travel policy hasn't been updated since the Obama administration, and the administration didn't get around to selecting a nominee for GSA administrator until earlier this month. Not to give Price a free pass (because he should have known better), but he was following rules that nobody in the administration seemed to want to change.
She gets to oversee Trump's lease of the post office building to Trump.
Probably the least important thing the GSA does. You can't drain the swamp unless you change the rules first.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

20171001_LastPlace.PNG
20171001_LastPlace.PNG (29.54 KiB) Viewed 10579 times
https://ourpublicservice.org/issues/pre ... racker.php

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Cool chart, good find.

I added a totals column:

Code: Select all

Failed	Conf  Waiting   Total
Trump     11    152     210      362
Muslim     8    334     133      467
W        121    355     123      478
Bubba      6    283     131      414
Bush1      3    222     150      372
The "total" column is confirmed + sent but waiting. It does NOT include failed, though maybe it should.

So Trump has sent a hundred fewer to the senate than his predecessors had in the same timeframe. Whose fault is it that the ones he sends are waiting longer? Are the Dems obstructing, or is the senate fractious, or are they clowns that even his own party has trouble swallowing?
(Serious question)

Also, WTF is up with W's failed nominations?!?? I remember when he tried to put his secretary or nanny on the Supreme Court; but who were the other 120?

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

JimZipCode wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:37 pm
Cool chart, good find.

I added a totals column:

Code: Select all

Failed	Conf  Waiting   Total
Trump     11    152     210      362
Muslim     8    334     133      467
W        121    355     123      478
Bubba      6    283     131      414
Bush1      3    222     150      372
The "total" column is confirmed + sent but waiting. It does NOT include failed, though maybe it should.

So Trump has sent a hundred fewer to the senate than his predecessors had in the same timeframe. Whose fault is it that the ones he sends are waiting longer? Are the Dems obstructing, or is the senate fractious, or are they clowns that even his own party has trouble swallowing?
(Serious question)

Also, WTF is up with W's failed nominations?!?? I remember when he tried to put his secretary or nanny on the Supreme Court; but who were the other 120?
What I found interesting was that the administration hasn't nominated anyone for any of the 13 CFO positions. Not sure how you drain the swamp, especially in agencies with multi-billion dollar annual budgets, without people to watch the bottom line.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

dead man walking wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:16 pm republican civil war brewing?

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/0 ... ers-243416
Absolutely, why else could Roy Moore beat the not horrible but unremarkable Lester Strange in the Alabama primary?

If I was a Democrat, I'd pray to mother Gaia for a Moore victory. He'll be the Repuglican gift that keeps on giving.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Trump shook hands, posed for selfies and examined some of the supplies stockpiled at the church — bags of rice, solar-powered flashlights, bottled water, rolls of paper towels and cans of chicken.

“Whoa! I’ve never seen that before,” Trump said, holding up a can of chicken. “That looks kind of good. Let’s start handing it out. Do you feel like this?”

But few in the camera-wielding crowd appeared to be in need of a can of chicken. Trump moved down the line to the flashlights, asking the crowd who wanted one. He tried out one of the larger models, shining it at the television cameras and the crowd as if it were a spotlight.

As he handed out some smaller flashlights, he declared: “Flashlights — you don’t need ‘em anymore. You don’t need ‘em anymore.”

Trump passed out yellow bags of rice and then started tossing rolls of towels into the crowd as if he were shooting free-throws. The crowd laughed and cheered him on. When he contemplated doing the same with the cans of chicken, the crowd gently told him no.

The church is also distributing water purification kits, and a member explained the process to the president.

“Wait,” Trump said, “you put it in dirty water?”

“And then you can drink it after 10 to 12 hours,” she explained.

“Would you do it? Would you drink it?” he asked.

“Sure,” she said.

“Really?” Trump said, a disgusted look coming across his face.

“Really,” she said.

“Is this your company or something?” Trump asked the woman, seeming suspicious of the aggressive pitch.

“No,” she said, “I’m part of the church.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 204f3b63e4
I know the Post makes a point of trying to make him look bad, but this is still pretty surreal.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Turdacious wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:02 pmI know the Post makes a point of trying to make him look bad, but this is still pretty surreal.
It's not like they need to make a huge effort or anything.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Turdacious wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:02 pm
Trump shook hands, posed for selfies and examined some of the supplies stockpiled at the church — bags of rice, solar-powered flashlights, bottled water, rolls of paper towels and cans of chicken.

“Whoa! I’ve never seen that before,” Trump said, holding up a can of chicken. “That looks kind of good. Let’s start handing it out. Do you feel like this?”

But few in the camera-wielding crowd appeared to be in need of a can of chicken. Trump moved down the line to the flashlights, asking the crowd who wanted one. He tried out one of the larger models, shining it at the television cameras and the crowd as if it were a spotlight.

As he handed out some smaller flashlights, he declared: “Flashlights — you don’t need ‘em anymore. You don’t need ‘em anymore.”

Trump passed out yellow bags of rice and then started tossing rolls of towels into the crowd as if he were shooting free-throws. The crowd laughed and cheered him on. When he contemplated doing the same with the cans of chicken, the crowd gently told him no.

The church is also distributing water purification kits, and a member explained the process to the president.

“Wait,” Trump said, “you put it in dirty water?”

“And then you can drink it after 10 to 12 hours,” she explained.

“Would you do it? Would you drink it?” he asked.

“Sure,” she said.

“Really?” Trump said, a disgusted look coming across his face.

“Really,” she said.

“Is this your company or something?” Trump asked the woman, seeming suspicious of the aggressive pitch.

“No,” she said, “I’m part of the church.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 204f3b63e4
I know the Post makes a point of trying to make him look bad, but this is still pretty surreal.
as rex tillerson said, "moron."

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

President Trump was so enraged by an NBC News report that Secretary of State Tillerson had called him a "moron" and considered resigning that Chief of Staff John Kelly skipped Trump's Las Vegas trip to "contain his boss's fury and manage the fallout," NBC reports. Per the report, Kelly "summoned" Tillerson and Defense Secretary Mattis to the White House to "discuss a path forward."

Trump fumed for two hours Wednesday morning after the report emerged, per NBC, and was even angrier when Tillerson didn't deny having called Trump a moron during a press conference later in the day.
https://www.axios.com/report-kelly-till ... 89053.html
And for the record, the adjective Tillerson 'allegedly' used matters.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I think Trump's cabinet should call a group press conference where each one announces, "I did not call Donald Trump a moron".
Don’t believe everything you think.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

nafod wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:19 pm I think Trump's cabinet should call a group press conference where each one announces, "I did not call Donald Trump a moron".

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

nafod and donkey, that's a good 1-2

this made me chuckle:

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowit ... on-hire-me