Pocket Knife Recommendations

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Pocket Knife Recommendations

Post by Pinky »

I like the mini Griptilian enough that the small risk of losing it doesn't bother me. The Axis locking mechanism is smoother and easier to use than anything else I've tried, and the knife is very comfortable in my hand. If I lost the one I have now, I would order another without hesitation.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Croatoa

Post by Croatoa »

Yeah I like Benchmade as well. I’ve been carrying a 940 everyday since 2014. The perfect edc for me though on the pricey side.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

seeahill wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:14 pm Check this one out:

https://gizmodo.com/adventure-tested-dp ... 1603824067
Great looking knife. Having anything Robert Pelton related would be cool and the bottle opener speaks to me.

Forgot to mention a knife I got as a gift last month. It's a Kershaw CRYO Rick Hinderer design (I don't know who he is but it's apparently important). It's heavy, solid feeling, opens super easily, fits in a Levi's watch pocket, and costs around $50.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Croatoa

Post by Croatoa »

DrDonkeyLove wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:13 pm

Great looking knife. Having anything Robert Pelton related would be cool and the bottle opener speaks to me.

Forgot to mention a knife I got as a gift last month. It's a Kershaw CRYO Rick Hinderer design (I don't know who he is but it's apparently important). It's heavy, solid feeling, opens super easily, fits in a Levi's watch pocket, and costs around $50.
Hinderer’s customs go for 200+ dollars a pop. The collaboration with Kershaw makes things more affordable. Nice knife.

Croatoa

Post by Croatoa »

Not sure how they are these days but a few years ago, DPX’ QC was notoriously shitty. I knew a couple of guys who had to return their hests because the lock bar gave out.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I carry the griptilian with g10 scales and 20cv steel about 90% of the time. Perfect size, weight etc, for me.

I'm outside most of the time with my dog when I'm not working and have plenty of times to cut away shrubs or some shit if we're just out in the yard. If we're on a trail, it's nice to have for peace of mind.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Already lost the Drifter. May come back but getting another Drifter.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

haven't lost a knife for a coupla years. just lucky.

i have a 3-in buck in my left pocket and a basic 4-in leatherman in my right. i cut, grab, twist, and screw shit a coupla days a week. i'm ready to go, and could castrate hog if necessary.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

It came back before I ordered a new one.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

BTW, removing the clip really improves the ergonomics. My brother uses his all day, so he keeps the clip on, but it's way more comfortable without IMO.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

I put the Leatherman Skeletool on my Christmas list, and got it. I kind of love it. Have never EDC'd before, but I'm going to try to adopt the habit. I like having that thing around. All the convenience of a pocket knife, without the liberal guilt of carrying a pocket knife in the Balt-Wash corridor, because it's a pair of pliers and a combo screwdriver too. Just in the first week or so I whipped it out to tighten a rattly doorknob (Phillips head), and separate a pair of Lego's that my son couldn't get apart (pliers). Not to mention using the knife to open all the toys and Amazon packages that came with Christmas.

Thanks Donk for the rec.

DrDonkeyLove wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:12 pmI keep forgetting The Sweethome and Amazon Warehouse Deals to my own detriment.
The Wirecutter is going to ruin my life. Or at least my bank account.

On the other hand, these new KFE speakers sound really fucking awesome.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

JimZipCode wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:30 am I put the Leatherman Skeletool on my Christmas list, and got it. I kind of love it. Have never EDC'd before, but I'm going to try to adopt the habit. I like having that thing around. All the convenience of a pocket knife, without the liberal guilt of carrying a pocket knife in the Balt-Wash corridor, because it's a pair of pliers and a combo screwdriver too. Just in the first week or so I whipped it out to tighten a rattly doorknob (Phillips head), and separate a pair of Lego's that my son couldn't get apart (pliers). Not to mention using the knife to open all the toys and Amazon packages that came with Christmas.

Thanks Donk for the rec.

DrDonkeyLove wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:12 pmI keep forgetting The Sweethome and Amazon Warehouse Deals to my own detriment.
The Wirecutter is going to ruin my life. Or at least my bank account.

On the other hand, these new KFE speakers sound really fucking awesome.
I'm pleased that the left and quasi anarchic libertytarianism have found a nexus. You'll find the bottle opener super handy if you're a bottled craft beer guy.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

In Chicago it's a maximum 2 1/2 inch limit on blade length.
8. Chicago, IL: It is illegal to carry concealed a knife with a blade longer than 2.5-inches. Concealed carry of a double-edged knife is prohibited. Automatic (switchblade) and gravity knives are prohibited entirely. "No person shall sell, offer for sale, loan or give to any person 18 years of age or under any type or kind of knife, any blade of which is two inches in length or longer," with no exceptions. However, no person 18 years or under may carry or possess or conceal on or about his person, any knife with a blade two inches or longer in length. It is a mystery how a minor is supposed to get hold of the knife, albeit of limited length, that they are legally allowed to own or carry.
- http://us.kniferights.org/index.php?opt ... iew&id=282

A Leatherman or the like has other stuff besides blades. A lot of Law Enforcement don't see it as a KNIFE!! I got caught entering a government building with a Leatherman. Set off the alarm, the Leo went "Tool, ho hum" and set it into a tray. I claimed it on the way out.

One can use an Awl to open packages. You can get them at Harbor Freight. A "precision" Phillips can do for this purpose. Neither one is considered a knife.
Don't like yourself too much.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Gene wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:38 amIn Chicago it's a maximum 2 1/2 inch limit on blade length.
8. Chicago, IL: It is illegal to carry concealed a knife with a blade longer than 2.5-inches. Concealed carry of a double-edged knife is prohibited.
In Maryland, "concealed" means hidden. If you have such a knife in a carrier on your belt, and your shirt is tucked in so that the carrier is visible, then the knife is not "concealed". If you have your shirt untucked hanging over the carrier, then the knife would be concealed.

A cop explained this to me, the dad of a kid who's babysat for us a couple times. Which is not to say that you couldn't find yourself in trouble: different cop / different situation could construe things any way at all. But it's not automatically de jure illegal to carry something like that.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Inspired by this thread I have been researching types of steel used for making knives. Serious subject I must say. As the result I bought this little beauty. Blade made of CPM steel, 7 mm thick. Haven't received it yet, but will test it on the very next hunting trip.

grip junky
Location: Sitting on the can, eating a pork chop, reading the koran.

Post by grip junky »

easy to sharpen, nice thin blade. Great price!
Attachments
opin.jpg
opin.jpg (36.62 KiB) Viewed 9549 times

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

I accidentally walked through airport security with the Portuguese version of those a few weeks ago. Slim blade and wood handle did not set off the metal detector.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Couple of weeks ago I got "caught" at the airport with the knife I forgot about in the bag. Small biltong slicing knife - about 1.5" blade, but had slight sentimental value. Airport security drives me insane sometimes.

Last year they confiscated a nice cigar cutter. A deadly weapon it turns out to be.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

You could do in flight circumcisions with it.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

I guess. Some air hostesses seem to have serious dicks.

Spheroid_Physique
Corporal

Post by Spheroid_Physique »

grip junky wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:00 pm easy to sharpen, nice thin blade. Great price!
I second this. Light, cheap, and easy to sharpen. I've lost Kershaws and Spydercos in the field; these are cheap enough you won't cry over one.

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Thank you for bumping, spammer.

I didn't realize this, but modern pocket knives are easy to disassemble with a torx or other screwdriver. Cleaning out and oiling the action was a significant improvement. Most of my 80s/90s knives are not that way, so you can oil them but you're going to have a bad time with gunk buildup.

JamesonBushmill
Staff Sergeant

Post by JamesonBushmill »

opinions on the gerber freeman folder?
Females who wear heels emulate the gait patterns of wounded and/or compromised prey and thus inspire males to heights of predatorial chasse-a-tude. - Robb Wolf