Future of IGx

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Future of IGx

Post by syaigh »

So, the forum has slowed.

For the past 3 years I have donated in excess of $600 personally to keep it funded. I'm not going to do that again. I've dialed back my business for personal reasons.

The "elites" have left and formed their own fb group (of which I am not a part).

So, couple of things:

1. I don't see this forum being funded in the future and I don't expect Mario to take up the slack. Thank you Mario for your service, you've been awesome.

2. Tom Furman just deleted our fb group. Not sure why, he could have just left. But regardless, do we want to form another? If so, PM me.

3. I really like having my training log here, but if I have to, I'll print it off and move forward somewhere else.

4. Should we move this to a different forum where anonymity is respected and an intelligent, although not always PC, discussion can take place. I don't think we can do that on FB.

5. Do we keep this here in the most basic of forms where we compromise speed and anonymity or whatever else.

Please understand, I have NO IDEA what it takes to keep this site up but Mario has done an excellent job.

So:

How do we move forward? Who wants to?

If you want to bail out but want to stay in touch with me, PM me. I'll tell you how.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

beefheart
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Future of IGx

Post by beefheart »

Thank you, ma'am.
ab g-d wrote:I can't understand how, given the training they did, the cavemen beat the dinosaurs.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Not sure where it goes from here. It's too damn slow to justify kicking in any real money to keep it afloat. And my goals are so simple that I don't need an expert to help with them - row a bunch, maybe do a few races. Stretch a bit. Lift some for balance.

I'm not on the facial books, so no way I can keep up with anyone. And I'm not part of the "in" group anyway.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I'm happy to keep logging in my training journal and posting things in the training forum that no one comments on.

I've donated some money (maybe 275$....or a little more?), and this place has been good for my personal growth.

If the site dies, it dies.

Anyone who finds me worth talking to can always add me on facebook at "Bram Wiley" or you can look at photos (not of me) on instagram under the same name.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I’d anticipate the next round of fundraising will come up short. I’d suggest a FB group when renewal comes around. Plenty of well-known people have FB accounts they anonymize, so that shouldn’t be an issue for those who really care about that.

Archiving a good chunk of material would be a great idea, IMO.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Impermanence of things... Gone are old good days of vehement fighting over everything and healthy hateful insults. This place has been losing steam for a while now. I don't have the FB account, so I guess this is the end of the road forum wise for me.

I think Internet culture changed in general. Matured maybe. Personally, the decade of forum interaction made me realise a lot of things about myself, mostly unflattering, hopefully taught me something too.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Goddammit, not when I only just started lifting a year ago?!?

I like option #4, don't know what all would be involved.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

I can't find it now, but not so long ago Shaf posted a brief history of IGx. It was started by Garm, who left when this place became too dominated by experts. As far as I remember it has been ordered to be taken down couple of times because of complaints (I think one was from Steve Freides from Dragondoor, when he was ridiculed here). Since then IGx was moved to the server in China, where nobody gives a shit about what you post. It looks that this kind of posting freedom is coming to an end.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Sangoma wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:43 amit has been ordered to be taken down couple of times because of complaints (I think one was from Steve Freides from Dragondoor, when he was ridiculed here).
Couch wasn't thrilled when FatCat posted a scenario about slitting his throat and fucking his wife on the floor in the pool of blood. Some people are sensitive.

Being a delicate soul, FatCat later edited the post to blank.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I'm on FB and am not opposed to a FB group, but I like option #4 as well. I don't know how exactly this would be done. I have enjoyed this forum for a very long time but I do see it coming to an end, unfortunately.

Now, what's the easiest way to get my training log moved to my computer? There is a lot of shit in there that I like to go back and look at for reference. Is the only option printing it all out? That's a whole lot of paper! Hahaha!

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

I like Option 4 too. Failing that, a private Subreddit could also work.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

I would definitely like to archive if we can.

I found a thread discussing how to "print" an entire thread on one page, which you can print, or save as a pdf in the print prompts on your computer. I don't necessarily understand how to pull it off and I don't have access to the code. But, maybe some of you guys would know?

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... 5#p3052813

Well, Alfred, at least we have the rowing team. :)

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

So there is the issue with the training logs or anything else that you want to archive that needs to be sorted out. Regardless of what the Furminator did, why can't a closed group Facebook page work? I don't really have that much of an issue with anyone knowing who I am but maybe not everyone feels the same. The people that have lasted for over a decade here I'd hate to see disappear. I've thoroughly enjoyed the interaction with everyone and there's truly some bright successful people with solid work, life history here that I'd love to still interact with. C'mon guys/gals let's keep the group together. Just fyi, I am a part of the FB group, and "elites" is way over the top...but me thinks there's more snark in that label than an actual description.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Subreddit may not be a bad idea anyway, it can be made invisible, anonymous users, restricted posting, etc. while still being accessible to Google, if we want. I've created one. I'm not interested in moderating, but will hand it over if somebody wants to manage it. Just placeholding it in case somebody nefarious gets ideas.
https://www.reddit.com/r/IronGarmX/

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

IGx dead? WTF am I supposed to do with this now?
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Let Marco sell ads
Don’t believe everything you think.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

FB is too moderated and full of whiny liberal sensitive cunts for me usually. Shape and Jim wont post chicks with dicks there. What Ive learned here, and some of the friends Ive made here are invaluable. Greatness fades. Even now no one knows OJ Simpson was an amazing running back.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Also, I really miss FatCat. Shaun B. O'Murnecan too. I just realized I have a lot of great info in my PM as well. Man, this placed used to be so awesome. Oh well, things change.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

^ Good points, all.

Appreciation to all who have contributed their wealth, wisdom, and curiosity to IGx. And especially to Mario.

FB can't match the continuity and followup of this forum. FB is popcorn for the mind, as far as real conversation goes.

As to where to go from here, I don't know.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

i'm able to get the site to load about 1 in every 5 times i try. perhaps that's intentional on your part.

so fuck you. all of you. racist bastards. ignorant liars. trump apologists. meat heads and mental defectives. crossfit deserters, malpracticing lawyers and doctors. alcoholics and drug addicts. shape with his micropenis, and one ignorant twat (there used to be a couple of them, all unwilling-to-post-tits cowardesses). who'd i overlook?

perhaps mickey (really, really, really short but cheerful bicycling guy) will give us one last signature before we go down for the last time.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

I miss what this place was years ago. It's not great now, but still I'd like it to live on.

I just don't get why we need these super slow, expensive, shithole servers. Why can't we get servers from Norway or something?

Seriously, without Garm, Marco and Kaz, what are we hiding here? And what has been said here that our current US president hasn't normalized?

Anyway, I've never kicked in big bucks for this place (thanks to peeps like Syggy and Seeahill for that) but I have kicked in a little bit every damn year. I feel vested. I don't know how to setup a message board, but if anyone does, normal servers are cheap, we'd never have trouble raising the dough. I say we settle for "free enough speech", or "free until shutdown", or sumthin'. I mean, the alternative seems to inevitably be no speech here.

We also need a way to bring in some new blood. It's getting a bit incestuous at this point. We're a vanishing tribe.

And what the fuck is up with everyone going to FB, that shit is gay.

Topic author
syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Thud wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:36 pm I miss what this place was years ago. It's not great now, but still I'd like it to live on.

I just don't get why we need these super slow, expensive, shithole servers. Why can't we get servers from Norway or something?

Seriously, without Garm, Marco and Kaz, what are we hiding here? And what has been said here that our current US president hasn't normalized?

Anyway, I've never kicked in big bucks for this place (thanks to peeps like Syggy and Seeahill for that) but I have kicked in a little bit every damn year. I feel vested. I don't know how to setup a message board, but if anyone does, normal servers are cheap, we'd never have trouble raising the dough. I say we settle for "free enough speech", or "free until shutdown", or sumthin'. I mean, the alternative seems to inevitably be no speech here.

We also need a way to bring in some new blood. It's getting a bit incestuous at this point. We're a vanishing tribe.

And what the fuck is up with everyone going to FB, that shit is gay.
=D> =D> =D>

I'm all for staying here as well, just not sure about the financial future. And yeah, most of you all are only mild degenerates.

What is the source of the slowness? Is it because the server? I don't understand these things.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

syaigh wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:09 pm Well, Alfred, at least we have the rowing team. :)
This is true. I've been on a meters kick lately. Picked the 20k calories for January challenge and I'm just now finishing it. That, and I've been adding in some intensity to see if I'm stupid enough to go the the Atlanta Erg Sprints in a couple weeks. :vom:
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:28 pm
syaigh wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:09 pm Well, Alfred, at least we have the rowing team. :)
This is true. I've been on a meters kick lately. Picked the 20k calories for January challenge and I'm just now finishing it. That, and I've been adding in some intensity to see if I'm stupid enough to go the the Atlanta Erg Sprints in a couple weeks. :vom:
Which reminds me, I should go clock in.
Tantum validus superstes

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Sorry...double post
Tantum validus superstes