Is anyone watching "The Americans"?

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Is anyone watching "The Americans"?

Post by Shapecharge »

This last season, with six episodes down and four to go has been absolutely mesmerizing. At least for me, it's some of the best television I've seen. For the three people still on this site just wondering if you're watching...if not then please find a way to go fuck yourself.

Cave Canem

Re: Is anyone watching "The Americans"?

Post by Cave Canem »

I was sidetracked by Peaky Blinders, once I'm through with that, I'll try to catch up. Have only seen the first episode so far. This is the curse of binge watching shit on Netflix and Hulu. The longer the gap is between seasons, the less inclined I am to pick up a series again.
Tantum validus superstes

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Cave, the wife and I watched Breaking Bad in this fashion and I think, within reason, catching one or two a night and finishing the whole series at once gives a richer experience simply because you know what's going on. When it takes them 9-10 months to bring a series back you're like, who's that guy again? Oh, yeah that's....

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

I just finished episode 2. Have to watch 3 before it expires on FX. Then I've got it recorded from 4 on.
Tantum validus superstes

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Predictions-The Americans?

Post by DikTracy6000 »

I remember a few of us making predictions for Breaking Bad. I will miss The Americans but it's time. Even Phillip wants out, but this season has been good. Stan, FBI neighbor has his new suspicions, and will recognize the artist's renderings from Chicago's fkd-up operation. My prediction is Phillip decides to ask for asylum, and Elizabeth and their daughter either get caught, killed or slip out to Mother Russia. Before that happens, the old lady tasks Elizabeth with finding and killing Phillip. I'm leaning on Liz going down in a fire fight or biting her pill necklace.

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Dik, I like where you're going here but I don't know if they'd (the writers) be willing to blow it all up like that. I kinda wonder if Phillip isn't becoming a little disillusioned with the capitalist way with all the struggles he's having at the travel agency and Elizabeth my be having a few issues of her own. Maybe they're coming together somewhere in the middle...what that is though I have no idea. Perhaps in the next episode or the following something is going to happen that will either break their resolve or firm it up...either why my take is they stay together. There may be a battle royale but I think the family unit stays together. There's been several times now they've shown that I assume cyanide poison pill...hope it doesn't get used. Either that or the son kills them all!

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Spoiler alerts, kids. I've only just finished episode 4.......Actually I don't give a shit, spoil away!
Tantum validus superstes

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Aw shit...sorry Cave. I didn't think about that.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

No worries. I've already started speculating on how or if everyone gets out alive. But the daughter's character has developed nicely...wink, wink, nudge, nudge...
Tantum validus superstes

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Episode 5 down. Things are heating up. This can go so many ways. I really hope they wrap this up well. Lousy endings to good shows are much more common than great or even good endings.
Tantum validus superstes

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

All caught up and ready for the finale. All I ask is that Claudia ends up with a round through the forehead and Martha gets to come home. Otherwise, let there be chaos!
Tantum validus superstes

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I am really going to miss this show. I hope they make it.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

I'm betting on a 50/50 ending. One or the other is either dead or goes home. I'm thinking Phillip survives because of the Henry angle and Paige gets all kinds of messed up. The children, think of the children!!!!!
Tantum validus superstes

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

I am fascinated to see how they close it out.

No idea of course, but a sick ending that would make sense would be, sadly, Stan getting whacked in some final confrontation, the heat on Elizabeth & Phillip cooling off, Soviet Union collapses, and the Jensons (do I have their last name right?) without further active ties to the their Motherland, finally fully assimilate and, ironically, do become "Americans".

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Cayenne wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:20 am I am fascinated to see how they close it out.

No idea of course, but a sick ending that would make sense would be, sadly, Stan getting whacked in some final confrontation, the heat on Elizabeth & Phillip cooling off, Soviet Union collapses, and the Jensons (do I have their last name right?) without further active ties to the their Motherland, finally fully assimilate and, ironically, do become "Americans".
Not bad. I've had an early premonition that Stan's gf isn't what she appeared from the her sudden interest in him. Too convenient in my mind. And then she considers some menial job in the FBI. Of course to throw water on my own thinking, she's never warned Phil & Liz of Stan's sudden interest in them, but he's kept that pretty much away from her.

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

DikTracy6000 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:48 pm
Cayenne wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:20 am I am fascinated to see how they close it out.

Not bad. I've had an early premonition that Stan's gf isn't what she appeared from the her sudden interest in him. Too convenient in my mind. And then she considers some menial job in the FBI. Of course to throw water on my own thinking, she's never warned Phil & Liz of Stan's sudden interest in them, but he's kept that pretty much away from her.
Remember, Phillip and Elizabeth Jennings are the absolute tip of the spear and only their handler know who they are. I agree I think Stan's chick is also a Soviet operative and has no idea about Phillip and Elizabeth. There's a brief scene of Stan in the previews saying he's going to kill them...I don't think so. I like you're comment about them becoming assimilated...becoming Americans.

I've got to admit I've been thinking about this ending a lot...too much. I didn't realize how invested I was in this show until it's coming to an end. I think the writing and acting has been beyond greatness and it appears most critics agree. Those two are perfectly cast.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

So many ways this can go......just hoping it's not a disappointment like so many finales.
Tantum validus superstes

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Cave Canem wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:25 pm So many ways this can go......

Because there are so many ways this can go (examples - does anything become of Stan having called the Preacher in South America? Seems not, but what an odd piece to insert...The former FBI secretary living in Soviet Union, I think they were done with her when they suggested she'd adopt the kid, but who knows...? ), I'd be stunned if my "prediction" was even close to correct. That said, the reasons it "works" for me are:

Stan, who is pure and dedicated and is "American", because of the cruel, ironic and absurd nature of reality, is destroyed; His death would be part of the "price of freedom" in our nation.

The Jennings (thanks Shape, I called them the Jensons, but that's the futuristic Hanna Barbara cartoon, right?) if they were to just end their espionage and "become" the false identities they've forged all these years, not only would it extend the irony of who are "The Americans", it would also leave us with the message, which the series has delivered all along, but would close out with on a crescendo, that we never truly know who "the person that lives next door" is.

Enjoy the show IGXers - we can compare notes afterward.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Absolutely wonderful finale. Let's talk.

Edit: great discussion with the cast and creators/writers/directors about the final episode.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/the-amer ... story.html

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

This turned out better than I anticipated. I was looking for some final shoot out or daring physical escape but this is why I'm not a writer. This somewhat subdued episode was very well done. I did call the children angle earlier but not in this way. The hint Phillip gave Stan was something we've all probably been considering since Renee was brought in. Lots of things to wonder about, Oleg, Renee, Martha, Claudia, etc. but not in a bad or unsatisfying way. Definitely going to watch it again.
Tantum validus superstes

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

I only got to watch half so far, (DVR'd) and today, couldn't wait, read reviews so I know what happens, but know I'll enjoy watching the rest when I'm able.

When Phillip tells a confrontational Stan, "we had a job to do" (essentially, confessing, although he then went on to deny the various murders, etc.,) that was quite an intense dramatic moment.

It was a bit hard for me to buy a career FBI agent letting murder/espionage suspects drive away, but I rationalized that (suspended disbelief) with the emotional intensity of Stan dealing with his best friends' betrayal.

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Cayenne wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 11:52 pm I only got to watch half so far, (DVR'd) and today, couldn't wait, read reviews so I know what happens, but know I'll enjoy watching the rest when I'm able.

When Phillip tells a confrontational Stan, "we had a job to do" (essentially, confessing, although he then went on to deny the various murders, etc.,) that was quite an intense dramatic moment.

It was a bit hard for me to buy a career FBI agent letting murder/espionage suspects drive away, but I rationalized that (suspended disbelief) with the emotional intensity of Stan dealing with his best friends' betrayal.
CDawg we're same same but for me I was thinking as Phillip was breaking it all down Stan began to realize his own roll in this geopolitical spy game and the havoc he's wreaked e.g. his basically cold blooded murder of the young KGB agent they snatched up in retaliation for one of their guys getting killed, his entrapment of Nina, having a physical relationship with her, and her eventual execution in a Soviet prison, Oleg etc. I agree with your view but I add to it these other things...this helps me with his reaction and giving them a pass.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Seemed like Stan not giving Martha or his partner even a mention was a stretch.

They did an awesome job leaving ambiguity in some things. They don't put a bow on every single thing, but also don't pull a Lost where you don't know WTF they were on about for key plot points.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Boris

Post by Boris »

I hope they all died. I stopped being interested after the third "Ok, let's just trust each other for the children." story line about mid-way through the second season.